Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (1st Jan - 2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hard to disagree but the issue is whether it's now a loss of confidence in Conte or the players simply not being good enough.

I get the impression it's the former and that means it's terminal and just a matter of time.
I agree with you here and a couple of your other points today. What gives me some concern though, is both Mourinho and now Conte have both said that the squad isn’t good enough. Regardless of what we might think of their methods, or their style of play, those two generally know what they’re doing.

I think it comes down to the players not being good enough. That cries out for investment and squad turnover. Maybe the blame here falls to Levy and ENIC, but irrespective of that, the main issue is the players aren’t good enough.

TLDR; if you blame ENIC, you’re in agreement with Conte that the squad isn’t good enough.

It will not be pleasant but I think Spurs best option at this point is to accept that we're into rough weather and we've got to ride it out with Conte to get to the other side. We're too far in with his system to chuck it all and once more start over with a new manager. Conte was consistently saying this team wasn't strong enough, even when a lot of us (myself included) thought we'd be top four again this year. It appears he was correct in his assessment and not just posturing. At this point backing him means not just getting new players who fit his system but making more tough choices about players to move on. And it might mean moving an unexpected big name player on at the upcoming transfer deadline if for no other reason than to grab the attention of the squad. Better to make big moves in and out in January, if possible, and try to get ready for real progress in 2023-24. Firing Conte or trying to stay in the race and not moving players out just pushes the timeline back further.

Last edited:
Money I saved on not going to see spurs since COVID bought me 3 weeks in Mauritius and a week in St Ives last year. Much better for my mental health and got some cracking memories too.
Now saving the £5k I’d normally spend on Spurs every year to go to Japan in 2025.

2023 will be the first year in decades ENIC get none of my money. Sorry Daniel!!
Don't apologise to him. Fecking stick it to him! 😂

Fair play to you sir!

I agree with you here and a couple of your other points today. What gives me some concern though, is both Mourinho and now Conte have both said that the squad isn’t good enough. Regardless of what we might think of their methods, or their style of play, those two generally know what they’re doing.

I think it comes down to the players not being good enough. That cries out for investment and squad turnover. Maybe the blame here falls to Levy and ENIC, but irrespective of that, the main issue is the players aren’t good enough.

TLDR; if you blame ENIC, you’re in agreement with Conte that the squad isn’t good enough.

And mostly that's why I agree to an extent but believe both Mourinho and Conte are clever enough to hide behind their deficiencies.

Lesser squads in objective terms play more coherent football.which actively talks of a philosophy being brought into.

In truth I also think it's about winning and that sometimes styles of play are overstated.

Either way when it's going fine neither Mourinho or Conte talked of player quality. The second it goes wrong or games thar should be won are lost it's not my fault guv.

We could get these so called better players In which case it's just the players thst are making the difference.

Managers have to ad valorem. Conte is falling well short at present and needs to put right or p!ss off.

I am no sentimaiist

Last edited:
Another match thread I couldn't see because I choose to make my forum experience that little bit better...

Hoping for a strong performance and that we don't get the shit kicked out of us this time.

I'll settle for not conceding the first goal and scraping a win 😂
The fucker has started tha palace thread too! 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m a strong believer in the old adage that the team you support is never as bad as you think it is, nor is it as good.

We go back to very basics.

We are simply not creating enough chances.
Tactics, style of play, mentality, relying on WBs to provide the creativity and 3 forwards who hardly kept the ball equals zero chance creation. Unless Kane can produce a great pass or we get a perfect cross in.

Do we sack another proven manager* and scramble to replace him with the likes of Nuno?

* = disclaimer: I hated Jose and was so glad to see him go.
No we don’t sack Conte. If Conte goes then it’s of his choice, he will not be sacked.

The club needs a massive overhaul, not in Jan as it would be rushed and panic buys but in the summer.
There are 8 or so players that haven’t got the required ability and/or the right attitude., not sent out on loan but sold

Replace those 8 with 8 of contes choice, which will be a team of winners. Use the sales money and a further £200m and you have a squad fit to challenge in every front.
Yes the £200m sounds laughable and will probably not gonna happen but this is what is needed to transform this club into a giant as opposed to sitting there watching the shit we had to endure yesterday.

For me, we throw every ounce of energy we have in winning the FA cup and that is the only way this season could be classed as a success.

The stadium was flat yesterday and everyone looks fucked off, the chants of we want levy out etc were started in the top right hand corner of the Southstand yesterday and it wasn’t long before others joined in and I didn’t see one person disagreeing with them.

Massive changes are needed, not tweaks and we have one of the greatest managers in the world chomping at the bit to make that happen.

DO IT LEVY, OR STEP ASUDE AND LET SOMEONE WHO SHARES THIS AMBITION HAVE A GO.

Howe couldn't have taken us to 4th place and I dont think he would have attracted players like Riche, Kulu and Bentancur, he's a decent manager but the spurs job is a very difficult one. He's doing well in Newcastle because they have money to spend.
His attracted some good players at toon. Also kulu and bent were not exactly top players sought after by many clubs. They were unknowns really who juve wanted to get rid.

It's not that he doesn't rate him.

In fact, I suspect it's the opposite and he knows he'll have a big impact and then Levy will say, "see.", and he'll lose leverage re. transfers, going forward.

This is what's at the bottom of it.

Poor Djed is the object of a power play.

Horrible situation to be in.

So damaging.

But that bald cunt absolutely KNEW Conte wouldn't tolerate him putting players on him and STILL went ahead and did it, to test the waters.

Only possible outcome was friction.
Was it levy or DOF?

Poch can come back on a few conditions:

1. Keep Paratici or another suitable DoF, transfers have looked up since summer 2021.
2. No fuckin diamond
3. Play 4231 or 433, with pressing and aggression
4. Say "Is Futbol,no?" in answer to most questions.
Have you tried such scenario with an ex girlfriend or an ex wife? Did it work?
I doubt if worked. I bet diamond was the only thing she gave in and swapped for emeralds and rubies.

Last edited:
It will not be pleasant but I think Spurs best option at this point is to accept that we're into rough weather and we've got to ride it out with Conte to get to the other side. We're too far in with his system to chuck it all and once more start over with a new manager. Conte was consistently saying this team wasn't strong enough, even when a lot of us (myself included) thought we'd be top four again this year. It appears he was correct in his assessment and not just posturing. At this point backing him means not just getting new players who fit his system but making more tough choices about players to move on. And it might mean moving an unexpected big name player own at the upcoming transfer deadline if for no other reason than to grab the attention of the squad. Better to make big moves in and out in January, if possible, and try to get ready for real progress in 2023-24. Firing Conte or trying to stay in the race and not moving players out just pushes the timeline back further.
If he signs the thing then I'll strap in and ride it out. But he himself doesn't seem to show any signs of committing to us, it does make it hard for me to commit to him.

Back
Top Bottom