The Qataris are coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Forget the fucking money for a second.

This government is evil plain and simple. The fact that 1000+ construction workers are already dead and the likelihood is for that figure to rise to 4000 by the World Cup. They promise migrant labour things then when the migrant arrives from India and Pakistan he loses his passport and is trapped, essentially in slavery. In getting these cunts we'd make Abramovich look like a fucking saint.

No, no, NO!!!!

I'll be proper vexed if these cunts buy our club.

Tried to stay out of this thread as I knew it'd be a ENICIN/ENICOUT cunt-fest, but Christmas has got me all cheery miserable and shit so here I am - reading 15 pages of shit insightful opinions. :adegrin:

Ha, didnt know this, that just sums them up doesn't it. Until Uefa start dumping clubs out of European competitions I can take FFP seriously at all.
They do dump teams out of Europe - just not the good ones!

Look at the Turkish teams pulled from UEFA competitions for example.

They're yet to do it to a club whereby it'll actually harm the quality of the competition though. I doubt they will.

I most certainly will not be doing such an undignified act, but am not sure if it's a sense of humour failure on my part to put on ignore for such a comment. So I won't, but I'm unhappy about it, I can tell you that.

Anyway, I'm not getting particularly excited by this news, because I don't see it happening. But IF it did, of course I would be delighted. At last the prospect of going back to the 'glory glory' club I supported in the 60s would be reawakened.
Another one on ignore - excellent :paulinholol:

Even in defeat, there is an echo of glory

There is certainly no glory in spending £750,000,000 to assemble a squad capable of winning the Premier League but turn to absolute shit in the CL.

You want to be City? Go fucking support them.

Spurs have NEVER been a dominant club. Sure, we had some successful years, but we've never been a club of the ilk of Man Utd, Chelsea or City. Not in my lifetime, not in yours.

We're famous for being a cup side. Where your hunger for reawakening the glory days comes from, I do not know. The double season was 50+ years ago mate, let it go, for all our sakes.

What would the anti billionaire brigade think if lewis all of a sudden went bat shit mental & started throwing £££ at spurs?

It's a genuine question , not a loaded one.

I know obviously the Qatar money is stained & I get why people wouldn't want that .
As long as we don't start paying UEFA £30m in fines for the privilege (so spending within our means) then no problem. Our sustainability is more important than any number of trophies. No fucker will care if we win 10 Champions League's in a row when we don't exist any more.

Sure we will have a rich history, but history is all we'll have.

Precisely this, the only problem as rightly said is the Qatari human rights record, Apart from that bring it, as if it's not us, it will be another club and we go down another place in table and chances of trophies further reduced

What really changes? When you show up to watch spurs it's still 11 v 11 we will just have more money to spend on decent players and the area would finally get the regeneration it needs, players like Kane would not disappear they would get help
Kane would disappear. We'd have untold millions. I don't think we'd keep our hard working but admittedly ability-limited academy product in favour of signing a world class centre forward. That'd be naive.

Fair question, and to an extent yes, the only difference is the immediate quality of the players. At the same time, we have built on smart moves within a budget. We haven't engaged in active "financial doping", so it would be a difference if we went from building the smartest squad we could with the restrictions we have to spending as much as necessary to buy whoever was desired. And although the last few years have been poor in terms of academy graduates, we have turned that around, and are building up a core of youth with a real "Spurs" character, and it's making a visible difference (to the results, the team's spirit, and the fans). To me, that adds a bit of meaning and zest to the football, and it also would be something we'd lose if it was replaced with oligarch approach.

It would be an issue if they sought to impose their views on the club from afar. We have a particular character as a fan base, and if the owners sought to change that character to make it more palatable to them, even if they weren't present physically, it would be a problem as far as I am concerned.

I would say we are very much not like them, and there is a clear difference. We have a plan to organically build ourselves into something bigger, but do not go into massive debt to short-cut the hard work. We have not got 700 million to a billion in debt or "loans" hanging over our heads that would either need to be repaid, or which wouldn't be repaid, but which leave us with a squad we cannot afford if the owners exited rapidly.

I am not completely with ENIC, and am not a fan of the corporate model, but I do respect the effort they have put in to build the club in a financially viable way. We have done things the hard way, and I find that to be admirable, especially when the odds have been stacked against us and we're tilting at windmills anyway. We could have owners like West Ham, Newcastle or Aston Villa who have given up on competing, for the most part, and simply seek to avoid relegation. Instead we're actually trying to do the impossible and compete against the big boys when we haven't got a prayer. I like that attitude, and don't want to lose it.
Excellent post. One of the best I've read.

Only in comparison only to 4 or 5 of the 159 football clubs in England are we not financially doping imo
Bottom of Prem net spend over 5 or 10+ years, let alone Championship clubs that have higher net spends than us. We are not 4 or 5, but more like 20 or 25.

We spend £80m but sell £100m. Others spend £10m but sell £12m. Higher amounts, but the same end result nonetheless.

You do know that Levy is not the owner? I'm talking about the money men, the owners. The people that really matter.

If Levy can find a billion or so to buy the club and run it City and Chelsea, then great let him take control.
Levy is not the owner - Jesus Christ where do your arguments come from? A shareholder in the company that owns us. So he is.

You think Joe Lewis matters more than Levy. Simply amazing viewpoint.

One obvious target is West Ham. Then we'll quite likely end up as London's fourth club, within 10-20 years.
Boo fucking hoo. London happen to currently have 2 very successful clubs, and many others behind them. We could be the 20th best club in London, I'd still go to The Lane, I'd still pay £50 for a ticket, I'd still pay £80 for the train, and I'd still sing for 90 minutes.

What the fuck does speculating about West Ham being bought by a billionaire have to do with us? We're in a league of 20 teams, not 4. Would you be pissed off if Palace were bought out? Or Charlton? Who fucking cares what stadium they have or how deep their pockets are? We're Tottenham. Lets worry about Tottenham and what we're doing. We can't control anyone else. If every other Premier League club were purchased by Qatari's I wouldn't give a flying fuck. In fact, it'd give me an even greater sense of fanship (made that word up) and love towards Spurs.

It makes me laugh that Spurs fans are ALWAYS so quick to deny a rivalry with West Ham, yet we are just as keen as they are to divulge into slanging matches and cock-size competitions.

West Ham are years away from being where we are, financially, structurally, squad-wise, manager-wise, training facility-wise, coefficient-wise, club attraction-wise, wage spend-wise.

5 months of good form does not make them a better club than us. Nor does the mere speculation of a buyout.

[QUOTE="It makes me laugh that Spurs fans are ALWAYS so quick to deny a rivalry with West Ham, yet we are just as keen as they are to divulge into slanging matches and cock-size competitions.

West Ham are years away from being where we are, financially, structurally, squad-wise, manager-wise, training facility-wise, coefficient-wise, club attraction-wise, wage spend-wise.

5 months of good form does not make them a better club than us. Nor does the mere speculation of a buyout.[/QUOTE]

I despise West Ham more than Woolwich and almost as much as Cheatski. I blame the 90's for that hate. Sugar made us almost their rivals !

However, The quality of West Ham's PR is amazing , Look at those great marketing pictures of the Olympic Stadium with all that Claret and Blue and statutes of Spurs wannabe Bobby Moore and you would think wow what a result.

However, those knuckle draggers need to wake up and realise what is going. The Stadium is leased to them only 25 match days per year. When not in use by West Ham the "branding" is not allowed. It's not their "home"

There is no agreement for statues of Bobby Moore / Bobby Barnes or Phil Parkes allowed in or around the stadium.

All that Claret and blue must be taken away on non match days. there is no museum allowed to showcase the times when they came 5th and went up via playoffs.

Nor is anyone being honest about the retractable seats nonsense, the other views being a joke due to the athletic legacy bullshit ( look at the Barcelona Olympic Stadium debacle for how bad these stadiums are for football ) + there are some great aerial shots showing that The Boylen Ground completely fits inside the track area of the Olympic Stadium.

Oh and the 54000 revenue is 50000 maximum paying customers as Newham have 4000 "free" tickets for Newham council staff guaranteed each and every match day for years to come - good luck with high pricing on tickets when a fair chunk are free !

And the remaining revenue is not 100% West Ham's as they have to share a % of that with it Newham also. Nor can they get 100% of the naming rights nor can they ( I think ) collect all the corporate revenue, they might get 100% of the pork scratching sales. So might be able to afford a % of Fat Sam's compensation payment.

The Upton Park sale is less than expected & given they must be debt free to move ( without penalty ) they are not getting near the top table anytime soon as the revenue stream is so low they can't buy their way anywhere.

West Ham have been asset striped, but have managed to get their idiot fans to smile about it, better than Turkey's voting for Christmas. ENIC saw this bollocks and went with a proposal that did not cover over the cracks. Those with less honesty sold out their club and fans.

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good story "plucky old West Ham......potential Champions of Europe when the Middle East save the day". They are move Coventry City than Manchester City and although it's frightening to think of them doing "reasonable well" I think we can sleep easy for a few generations yet.

Shame they did not go bust under the Icelanders :-(

I don't want to become like City. Hope it's bollocks.

End of the road for me if we start acting like them.

Its one thing with investment and building for the future.

But if we start buying up a load of mercenaries who would have laughed at the thought of playing here before, in order to buy the title withing a year.....well, they can shove it.

I´ll happily go back to watching Sunday League or some shitty local lower team.

Had it with modern football to be honest, and Ive had it with the fans who cry about shit atmospheres and ticket prices, and Roman, and Sky, then lap it up when its their club..

Not me.

While we are on the subject of Russian billionaires...

Woolwich’s Alisher Usmanov loses $809m in 48 hours, Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich loses $449.5m

859950-20278456-1600-900.jpg

Two of the wealthiest men involved in Premier League football have lost a fortune in the past 48 hours, reports Vanity Fair.

In news that will send chills down the spines of Woolwich and Chelsea supporters, Alisher Usmanov and Roman Abramovich have seen their wealth decimated in the last two days as the Russian economy had nosedived.

As Russia ruble has fallen to its lowest value in more than a decade, Chelsea owner Abramovich has reportedly lost $449.5 million. That has left Roman with a net worth of just $12.8 billion.

As for Woolwich’s second largest shareholder Usmanov, he has lost $809 million this week, leaving his net worth at $13.4 billion.

The figures were compiled using data from Bloomberg’s Billionaires index.
Down to their last €10 billion now I expect, poor sods.

Prediction: Qataris buy us ... Madrid wanna sell Bale ... who can't resist coming back to us, especially with that money now ... and him and a couple of some more worldies help us rip the league apart next season ... and we finish 3rd. BOOM.

Never ever gonna happen. :levylol:

I've a couple of questions for the "ripping the heart out of our club" gang:

1. If this takeover means we spend millions on "mercenaries", meaning that no young players breakthrough, was it ok to spend slightly different multi millions on the players we have over the past decade? Or have we been spending multi millions on just the wrong mercenaries? We spent the same on Lamela and Soldado as Man City did on Aguero and Toure. Except for quality, can someone please tell me what's different?
2. If we are owned by the Qatari Royal Family, will they ever turn up at a match? If not, will this be an issue, because it seems to be quite acceptable for Joe Lewis to never show face? At least Roman turns up at Chelsea every so often.

The Qataris may well have a dodgy human rights record (as far as we are concerned, but not as far as they are concerned), so there's a reason for not wanting this to happen. All this gnashing of teeth about turning into City or Chelsea is just ignoring the fact that we are like them already, just not as good at playing the game.

Well, it'll be fun to see what happens to the fan base if we turn into Chelsea or City overnight. Although I have to wonder how Middle-Eastern owners will handle a kosher fanbase?

Back
Top Bottom