The Qataris are coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

While we are on the subject of Russian billionaires...

Woolwich’s Alisher Usmanov loses $809m in 48 hours, Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich loses $449.5m

859950-20278456-1600-900.jpg

Two of the wealthiest men involved in Premier League football have lost a fortune in the past 48 hours, reports Vanity Fair.

In news that will send chills down the spines of Woolwich and Chelsea supporters, Alisher Usmanov and Roman Abramovich have seen their wealth decimated in the last two days as the Russian economy had nosedived.

As Russia ruble has fallen to its lowest value in more than a decade, Chelsea owner Abramovich has reportedly lost $449.5 million. That has left Roman with a net worth of just $12.8 billion.

As for Woolwich’s second largest shareholder Usmanov, he has lost $809 million this week, leaving his net worth at $13.4 billion.

The figures were compiled using data from Bloomberg’s Billionaires index.

Woolwich’s Alisher Usmanov loses $809m in 48 hours, Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich loses $449.5m

Two of the wealthiest men involved in Premier League football have lost a fortune in the past 48 hours, reports Vanity Fair.

In news that will send chills down the spines of Woolwich and Chelsea supporters, Alisher Usmanov and Roman Abramovich have seen their wealth decimated in the last two days as the Russian economy had nosedived.

As Russia ruble has fallen to its lowest value in more than a decade, Chelsea owner Abramovich has reportedly lost $449.5 million. That has left Roman with a net worth of just $12.8 billion.

As for Woolwich’s second largest shareholder Usmanov, he has lost $809 million this week, leaving his net worth at $13.4 billion.

th
as its xmas

The Qatari government is lining up a £1bn takeover of Tottenham.(The Sun - subscription required)

I know it is the Sun so there is little to nothing that I'd believe but, what are peoples views on a takeover if it did materialise?

I don't want anything to do with their regime in the slightest to be honest. Their attitude to women, miniorities, human rights and the climate is appalling. I would seriously consider supporting another club if they bought us out.

On the one hand, it's not yet an issue, on the other, between the sanctions and the likely capital controls coming in, it could be very, very hard for Usmanov and Abramovich to move funds out of Russia, meaning supporting their business could become quite difficult. Enough so that they may need to raise funds in other ways. Shares of Woolwich would likely go for a pretty penny in the current market, and shares of Chelsea s well, although there is that 700 million in debt sitting around as well...

The scary thing is that if the Qataris want to buy a club, they're going to buy one. What if it's NOT us? This could end very badly.
:chadliwtf:
It could for someone yes. I actually feel rather positive about Spurs, especially if we don't get bought and stick to the long-term plan. It'll take a while, but the club would become very stable contenders.

One obvious target is West Ham. Then we'll quite likely end up as London's fourth club, within 10-20 years.
I agree about West Ham since I suspect the preference would be for a London club, especially one with some built-in upward mobility. That would really be my worst nightmare. But it really wouldn't be that much better if it were Palace or even a club outside of London since having yet another Chelsea or City to contend with for the crumbs at the top would be a disaster for our aspirations regardless of whether they are a local rival.

I don't want anything to do with their regime in the slightest to be honest. Their attitude to women, miniorities, human rights and the climate is appalling. I would seriously consider supporting another club if they bought us out.

isn't the class system in the UK fucked? not disagreeing that some of them might be shitty people, but get off your high horse.. we all contribute to one steaming pile of shit or another.

isn't the class system in the UK fucked? not disagreeing that some of them might be shitty people, but get off your high horse.. we all contribute to one steaming pile of shit or another.
The Qatari government is shitty. Certainly shittier than I'd want the owners of my team to be. The class system in the UK cannot compare to the importation of slave labor into Qatar. I don't know how it would affect my support of Spurs, but I'm on paddyspurs paddyspurs high horse with him. And, I'm not homophobic, but I'm from a generation that doesn't feel entirely comfortable riding a horse with another man.

Last edited:

Down to their last €10 billion now I expect, poor sods.

Back
Top Bottom