The Qataris are coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okay, so how many homegrown City players can you name that start on a regular basis? Or that have even made it into the first team? Or the bench?

City have none absolutely right but Chelsea has 3 English as ever presents for every trophy they won under Abramovic, the game is global now, the richest league will always be able to attract anyone, if you are good enough you get in, simple as that.

On our very own podcast they wax lyrical about Ginola being best player they saw do we mind he is not English? Kane right now is a saviour figurehead for the new look tottenham who works hard and cares, we would still have a great academy and they would have as good a chance as any to play as they would bring that James Milner factor who plays every week for city

Forget the fucking money for a second.

This government is evil plain and simple. The fact that 1000+ construction workers are already dead and the likelihood is for that figure to rise to 4000 by the World Cup. They promise migrant labour things then when the migrant arrives from India and Pakistan he loses his passport and is trapped, essentially in slavery. In getting these cunts we'd make Abramovich look like a fucking saint.

No, no, NO!!!!

I'll be proper vexed if these cunts buy our club.
I agree. Remember my other thread about protests? http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/questions-for-our-fanbase.12390/
This is the sort of thing I was talking about. We need to mobilise against this if it looks like it's going to happen. For all the reasons everyone has said on here. Their government is evil and we don't want to end up like City and Chelsea.

So many people desperate for us to be successful......

......but don't want any 'new' fans.......don't want to pay higher ticket prices.......don't want the game dictated by TV companies........and don't want a wealthy benefactor putting money in.......

All this gnashing of teeth about turning into City or Chelsea is just ignoring the fact that we are like them already, just not as good at playing the game.

Not true at all. We are run as a business. They are run by an almost bottomless pit of money. Our club is a business which both spends and receives huge sums of money- it does not take away from the fact that the aim the owners have is not only to break even but to make a profit.
Look at our net spend compared to those two sides. You can't just pick two players that we spent a lot of money on and then say we're not as good at 'playing the game' as City or Chelsea.

And to make matters even worse, I wake up this morning to the sorry news that our manager may well throw away today's shot at glory, in order to 'rotate our squad', which is nowhere near as strong as it should be of course, because of stupid purchases, sales and loan decisions by our current management structure.
To be fair MP has not really played a settled team, yet. He's always rotated. If it's the Mirror article you read then I would not take much notice.
In a nutshell, what he said was that he took unfair criticism when SAFC got dumped put last season which was also unfair to his players. If they are in the squad they are considered good enough, otherwise what's the point in having one. If one player is not as fresh -and remember we have played on the 11th in Turkey, the 14th in Wales and will play again on 17th and 20th - he will pick someone who is.

Not true at all. We are run as a business. They are run by an almost bottomless pit of money. Our club is a business which both spends and receives huge sums of money- it does not take away from the fact that the aim the owners have is not only to break even but to make a profit.
Look at our net spend compared to those two sides. You can't just pick two players that we spent a lot of money on and then say we're not as good at 'playing the game' as City or Chelsea.

I don't think that's the point he's making. We may be a business against City or Chelsea being a bottomless pit, but from a fan's perspective we're treated the same, we get the club trying any different angle to monetise their relationship with the fans.

Spurs are more a business and less a football club as you would have perceived it in the 80's or 90's. The fact that it's not bankrolled does not change the fact that fans have no real say in the club, that's true in Spurs as it is at Man City, Chelsea or pretty much any other of the Premier League clubs.

There are 2 key points, 1, if you think Joe Lewis is an angel then you are going to be disappointed, he may not be 'as bad' as others but there's little doubt he's a tax exile 2, the game is now so huge that our next owner is likely to have no connection with the fans or the area and the fact is we have no say in any case, other than not turning up and if we're playing galacticos style football, then it's unlikely that people will stop coming.

You can rightly point out how bad and corrupt the Qatari Government are but to somehow say that we're some exemplar of 'how a club should be run', we're not, we just happen to be a more saleable, profitable company to another investor, company or sugar daddy.

In a similar vein to what AberdeenYid AberdeenYid said about buying "mercenaries". If our multi-million pound signings, like Soldado, Paulinho etc. had been any good, then Mason, Bentaleb and Kane wouldn't have got a chance either. It's not because Tottenham Hotspur FC is generous and wants to help out the local lads a little, it's just that they are the best we currently have, due to bad business in the past.

I think this is all a potentially worrying situation for the club.

No matter what anybody thinks of the current regime under Levy, we are generally a well managed and stable club financially, no nonsense like Leeds etc and we've always stayed within our means when it comes to buying players and paying their wages.

Monaco and Malaga are two recent examples where the money was pumped in and just as quickly removed causing huge problems.

Dont want to see us ruined chasing titles by throwing money at it

The problem with foreign ownership is that whoever it is takes the club further away from it's roots. Roman Abramovich didn't run around in a Chelsea kit when he was a kid and I doubt their were many Sheikhs who ran around in Man City kits. The Premier League club is no longer the business owned by the local businessman come good like Martin Edwards, Sidney Wale or Jack Walker, it is the plaything of billionaires who want a trophy to add to their collection. Since Real Madrid & Barcelona are not for sale and German clubs have to be heavily fan owned, Premier League clubs are the ideal toy.

The Qataris are pretty much on a par with Russia & Abu Dhabi for poor human rights and lack of democracy. The stark fact is we have no choice, we either like it or we don't, there is no control or say from fans. But from the moment that the club removed itself from the stock exchange and became a wholly owned entity of ENIC, it was never going to be anything than a business, this is not the club of the early 90's that had shareholders who were fans, who had some kind of say or signifcance to the running of the club.

We are now the consumers and this is modern football, for example, check your most recent email from spurs, 10% chance it will be about our last match, more likely it will be offering free post and packing from the merchandise store. So whoever takes over, nothing will change for us, the only thing is we may have better players and a few more 'clingers on' and 'glory hunters'. That's a happy thought!!!
Fan ownership is the alternative, and if we as fans are serious about protecting the club from the typical businessman mentality (which ENIC are not, in comparison with other clubs owned by "modern businessmen"), then we need to find a way to take control of the club. We need to exploit the opportunity available and try and open a dialogue with ENIC that would allow the fans to build a position to take over the club when ENIC wants to leave. It's not difficult. If they want to make a profit on their position, we can happily give them one, and protect the thing we love at the same time.

It would be a hell of a lot of work, but it's the only path I can see for the survival of the club. We cannot rely on getting lucky with a benevolent despot of an owner. Too many clubs show that to be an impossibility. We need to take action ourselves. I don't think the current attitude of a lot of the fans would help the initial work, but a strong nucleus of fans moving in this direction could build momentum and bring the rest of the fans onside, making it possible.

I've a couple of questions for the "ripping the heart out of our club" gang:

1. If this takeover means we spend millions on "mercenaries", meaning that no young players breakthrough, was it ok to spend slightly different multi millions on the players we have over the past decade? Or have we been spending multi millions on just the wrong mercenaries? We spent the same on Lamela and Soldado as Man City did on Aguero and Toure. Except for quality, can someone please tell me what's different?
Fair question, and to an extent yes, the only difference is the immediate quality of the players. At the same time, we have built on smart moves within a budget. We haven't engaged in active "financial doping", so it would be a difference if we went from building the smartest squad we could with the restrictions we have to spending as much as necessary to buy whoever was desired. And although the last few years have been poor in terms of academy graduates, we have turned that around, and are building up a core of youth with a real "Spurs" character, and it's making a visible difference (to the results, the team's spirit, and the fans). To me, that adds a bit of meaning and zest to the football, and it also would be something we'd lose if it was replaced with oligarch approach.
2. If we are owned by the Qatari Royal Family, will they ever turn up at a match? If not, will this be an issue, because it seems to be quite acceptable for Joe Lewis to never show face? At least Roman turns up at Chelsea every so often.
It would be an issue if they sought to impose their views on the club from afar. We have a particular character as a fan base, and if the owners sought to change that character to make it more palatable to them, even if they weren't present physically, it would be a problem as far as I am concerned.
The Qataris may well have a dodgy human rights record (as far as we are concerned, but not as far as they are concerned), so there's a reason for not wanting this to happen. All this gnashing of teeth about turning into City or Chelsea is just ignoring the fact that we are like them already, just not as good at playing the game.
I would say we are very much not like them, and there is a clear difference. We have a plan to organically build ourselves into something bigger, but do not go into massive debt to short-cut the hard work. We have not got 700 million to a billion in debt or "loans" hanging over our heads that would either need to be repaid, or which wouldn't be repaid, but which leave us with a squad we cannot afford if the owners exited rapidly.

I am not completely with ENIC, and am not a fan of the corporate model, but I do respect the effort they have put in to build the club in a financially viable way. We have done things the hard way, and I find that to be admirable, especially when the odds have been stacked against us and we're tilting at windmills anyway. We could have owners like West Ham, Newcastle or Aston Villa who have given up on competing, for the most part, and simply seek to avoid relegation. Instead we're actually trying to do the impossible and compete against the big boys when we haven't got a prayer. I like that attitude, and don't want to lose it.

Okay, so how many homegrown City players can you name that start on a regular basis? Or that have even made it into the first team? Or the bench?
You're going to have to weigh up what you want out of your support. It's decision time!!

1. Do you want to be mid to higher table, maybe a trophy once a decade, team that has one or two English youngsters in it?

2. Do you want to see us win the league?

3. Sun implodes on itself and we all die in a big ball of fire?

If anyone thinks we don't financially dope, ask any of the 86 league clubs that usually finish below us what they think.

We are a business that isn't run as well as others in our sector. Chelsea may have a bottomless pit of money, but now break even and will soon be a most profitable business. Abramovich speculated to accumulate and did a wonderful job of it.

I can read the headline now "Marco Reus snubs Real Madrid for Tottenham "
R0wPVob.gif

Back
Top Bottom