The Qataris are coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sure they'll buy us loads of trophies. If there is one thing Qataris are known for, it is paying top notch wages. Just ask the Nepalese and Sri Lankan migrant workers chained together digging holes in Doha.
:llorisserious:
In all seriousness, I try not to let my political interests mix with my sporting interests, but this would be really tough for me to swallow.

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll buy us loads of trophies. If there is one thing Qataris are known for, it is paying top notch wages. Just ask the Nepalese and Sri Lankan migrant workers chained together digging holes in Doha.
:llorisserious:
In all seriousness, I try not to let my political interests mix with my sporting interests, but this would be really tough for me to swallow.
For me, it would be a personal Rubicon I wouldn't be crossing, but that's just for me. I get that other people have valid alternative views, but this seems to be an issue very closely tied to what you're into Spurs for as a fan, and what you get from fandom.

Only in comparison only to 4 or 5 of the 159 football clubs in England are we not financially doping imo
And this is where the debate broadens. I also wonder if our own view of our level of doping is skewed by how little we know of what other clubs do. Gah, it really does take much of the fun out things...

I don't think that's the point he's making. We may be a business against City or Chelsea being a bottomless pit, but from a fan's perspective we're treated the same, we get the club trying any different angle to monetise their relationship with the fans.

Spurs are more a business and less a football club as you would have perceived it in the 80's or 90's. The fact that it's not bankrolled does not change the fact that fans have no real say in the club, that's true in Spurs as it is at Man City, Chelsea or pretty much any other of the Premier League clubs.

There are 2 key points, 1, if you think Joe Lewis is an angel then you are going to be disappointed, he may not be 'as bad' as others but there's little doubt he's a tax exile 2, the game is now so huge that our next owner is likely to have no connection with the fans or the area and the fact is we have no say in any case, other than not turning up and if we're playing galacticos style football, then it's unlikely that people will stop coming.

You can rightly point out how bad and corrupt the Qatari Government are but to somehow say that we're some exemplar of 'how a club should be run', we're not, we just happen to be a more saleable, profitable company to another investor, company or sugar daddy.
I think I agree with you on all points.
I don't think we are an example of how a club should be run, and I agree with what you say about Spurs being a business too (though of course it will never be merely a business to the real fans). But it's a matter of degrees and I would not want our name to be tainted by association with the Qatari Government, for one thing. There are other reasons why I don't want us to be bought by such a group, too: the sense of having 'cheated' if we were to spend money in way of Chelsea/PSG/Man City, the plastic fans that would come with the year-after-year success, the fact that some of our best supporters (or the supporters I identify most with) would likely stop going to games- as shown by some people's views on this thread.
I think fans can have a say, and do have potential power, it's just that most fans in this country are apathetic. If you look at some of the fans on the Continent, they still have a considerable say in these matters.
But you are right in that I may have misunderstood Aberdeen's point.

I think I agree with you on all points.
I don't think we are an example of how a club should be run, and I agree with what you say about Spurs being a business too (though of course it will never be merely a business to the real fans). But it's a matter of degrees and I would not want our name to be tainted by association with the Qatari Government, for one thing. There are other reasons why I don't want us to be bought by such a group, too: the sense of having 'cheated' if we were to spend money in way of Chelsea/PSG/Man City, the plastic fans that would come with the year-after-year success, the fact that some of our best supporters (or the supporters I identify most with) would likely stop going to games- as shown by some people's views on this thread.
I think fans can have a say, and do have potential power, it's just that most fans in this country are apathetic. If you look at some of the fans on the Continent, they still have a considerable say in these matters.
But you are right in that I may have misunderstood Aberdeen's point.

Oh yeh the plastic fans didn't think about that, Chelsea used to have fuck all fans and though's it did have were Millwall thugs, City were just as Chavy. Now Chelsea are a middle class plastic fan team in the main, don't want the Couscous fandom to decend on us if we can help, I like our fan base, even you people on here.

:gallashmm:

Oh yeh the plastic fans didn't think about that, Chelsea used to have fuck all fans and though's it did have were Millwall thugs, City were just as Chavy. Now Chelsea are a middle class plastic fan team in the main, don't want the Couscous fandom to decend on us if we can help, I like our fan base, even you people on here.

:gallashmm:
Come on mate, the amount of hipster fans we picked up with the CL run and gimmick signings like Dempsey, has already filled the ranks with five minute wonder nouvelle spurs experts. The fanbase is unrecognisable from what it was even ten years ago.

Come on mate, the amount of hipster fans we picked up with the CL run and gimmick signings like Dempsey, has already filled the ranks with five minute wonder nouvelle spurs experts. The fanbase is unrecognisable from what it was even ten years ago.

Yeh but it's still a good fan base at the moment overall but imagine if we get CL run after CL run, we might get the below coming over.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-08-at-11.24.01-PM.png

That is very much what would become of us. And I'd be looking elsewhere when it does.

I'd go down with the ship personally, probably support Spurs even if the club started a hate campaign against me that's how idiotically loyal I am but still would be very fucking annoying.

I'd go down with the ship personally, probably support Spurs even if the club started a hate campaign against me that's how idiotically loyal I am but still would be very fucking annoying.
I wouldn't move to another English club. But I wouldn't be able to watch Spurs anymore and enjoy it.

When media start talking about a takeover there is no takeover. My mate back home has for some reason always been a City fan and followed their news etc. religiously online and he had barely heard a whimper of the Arabs coming in and taking them over until the morning it happened. Then again we are like no other side when it comes to leaks (stories or goals)

With regard to Chelsea's owner not wearing a Chelsea kit when he was a kid. Did our owner run around with a Spurs kit on? My guess is no.

Who goes to most of the club's games, Chelsea or Spurs' owner? This I know the answer to, it's Chelsea's owner.

So who is nearer to the club's roots? Answer, Chelsea's owner. Does it actually matter, not at all to me.

What I care about is trophies, glory. Who gives most to their club, Chelsea's, that's why I think Chelsea have a better owner than we do, That's why I think Chelsea and City's owners are better than the owners of every other club in the country, not just ours. They give their clubs undreamt of, unbelievable trophy returns, they have transformed their clubs. If we could get an owner as good as those two clubs I would love it.

I have been going on about the threat West Ham may pose for years now, ever since they got the OS. It could be a game changer, and there's a far greater chance of them pushing us into 4th place in London (for a child of the 60s like me that is sooooo sad BTW), via a billionaire benefactor, than when they were still at Upton Park.

With regard to Chelsea's owner not wearing a Chelsea kit when he was a kid. Did our owner run around with a Spurs kit on? My guess is no.

Who goes to most of the club's games, Chelsea or Spur's owner? This I know the answer to, it's Chelsea's owner.

So who is nearer to the club's roots? Answer, Chelsea's owner. Does it actually matter, not at all to me.

What I care about is trophies, glory. Who gives most to their club, Chlelse's, that's why I think Chelsea have a better owner than we do, That's why I think Chelsea and City's owners are better than the owners off every other club in the country, not just ours. They give their clubs, undreamt of, unbelievable trophy returns, they have transformed their clubs. If we could get an owner as good as those two clubs I would love it.

I have been going on about the threat West Ham may pose for years now, ever since they got the OS. It could be a game changer, and there's a far greater chance of them pushing us into 4th place into London, via a billionaire benefactor than when they were still at Upton Park.
It's like riding a helicopter to the top of Everest. Or being born on third base thinking you hit a triple. No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom