The Qataris are coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

allah akbar you spurs!!!!

trap.png

If anyone thinks we don't financially dope, ask any of the 86 league clubs that usually finish below us what they think.

We are a business that isn't run as well as others in our sector. Chelsea may have a bottomless pit of money, but now break even and will soon be a most profitable business. Abramovich speculated to accumulate and did a wonderful job of it.
Not exactly. He speculated, but didn't accumulate. There is still the 700 million in debt hanging over the club. It will either need to be swallowed as a loss by Roman at some point, or it will need to be paid back. Chelsea have not done that yet, and even when profitable don't try to.

We balance our books and don't breach what are considered to be the FFP rules. In comparison, much of the Championship have actually shredded their FFP boundaries and face fines. Some actually spend considerably more than many Premier League teams at the same time. We haven't done that.

If anyone thinks we don't financially dope, ask any of the 86 league clubs that usually finish below us what they think.

We are a business that isn't run as well as others in our sector. Chelsea may have a bottomless pit of money, but now break even and will soon be a most profitable business. Abramovich speculated to accumulate and did a wonderful job of it.

Unless I'm mistaken ENIC actually put in the maximum amount of investment into the club allowed under FFP this year - £40m

sounds like financial doping to me

Not exactly. He speculated, but didn't accumulate. There is still the 700 million in debt hanging over the club. It will either need to be swallowed as a loss by Roman at some point, or it will need to be paid back. Chelsea have not done that yet, and even when profitable don't try to.

We balance our books and don't breach what are considered to be the FFP rules. In comparison, much of the Championship have actually shredded their FFP boundaries and face fines. Some actually spend considerably more than many Premier League teams at the same time. We haven't done that.
Chelsea haven't breached FFP either. The debt is the owners and won't ever be paid back. As far as everyone is oficially concerned, Chelsea are profitable. Man City will be too in a couple of years.

Unless I'm mistaken ENIC actually put in the maximum amount of investment into the club allowed under FFP this year - £40m

sounds like financial doping to me
If you're playing within the rules, while other are paying fines for breaching them, are you engaged in financial doping? I am seriously asking this as there are two valid perspectives. On the one hand, any club who spends more than they make are engaging in financial doping as it is not a sustainable practice in the long term. On the other, there are rules regarding investment, and an acceptance that profits and losses do ebb and flow, so that a loss one year may be balanced against profits the following year (in that sense, the rules focus on long-term patterns of spending, rather than a year on year change). Both are valid ways to view the matter, but people should probably be clear about what they view as financial doping.

For me it's the latter perspective, and in comparison with other clubs, both in the Premier League and the Championship, we don't engage in financial doping. But I can see how the case can be made that we do, from a different perspective.

Surely did a magnificent job of appearing legitimate. Think Matthew Syed nails it in this rant:

Not saying for one single minute that Abeamovich isn't a massive fucking crook. Pretty convinced he's probably had people killed in the past (when did anyone last see Michael Emenalo?). All I'm saying is he is now officially balancing the books and not chucking £infinity at his team.

Chelsea haven't breached FFP either. The debt is the owners and won't ever be paid back. As far as everyone is oficially concerned, Chelsea are profitable. Man City will be too in a couple of years.
The debt is the owner's, but I am not sure it won't ever be paid back. If Roman got hit by a bus tomorrow, would his estate/heirs/family swallow that 700 million, or expect payment from new owners or the club itself?

It's structured in a very specific way to work around FFP and create options, but it is still floating out there and has not been forgiven.

If you're playing within the rules, while other are paying fines for breaching them, are you engaged in financial doping? I am seriously asking this as there are two valid perspectives. On the one hand, any club who spends more than they make are engaging in financial doping as it is not a sustainable practice in the long term. On the other, there are rules regarding investment, and an acceptance that profits and losses do ebb and flow, so that a loss one year may be balanced against profits the following year (in that sense, the rules focus on long-term patterns of spending, rather than a year on year change). Both are valid ways to view the matter, but people should probably be clear about what they view as financial doping.

For me it's the latter perspective, and in comparison with other clubs, both in the Premier League and the Championship, we don't engage in financial doping. But I can see how the case can be made that we do, from a different perspective.

Only in comparison only to 4 or 5 of the 159 football clubs in England are we not financially doping imo

You're going to have to weigh up what you want out of your support. It's decision time!!

1. Do you want to be mid to higher table, maybe a trophy once a decade, team that has one or two English youngsters in it?

2. Do you want to see us win the league?

3. Sun implodes on itself and we all die in a big ball of fire?
People tend to moan a lot about the club but if you think about it we're a lot better off than a lot of other clubs. I just want consistency and getting as many of our homegrown academy players into the first team as possible. I want players who care and I want supporters who care. I can't be bothered with the plastic fan and club generation.

The problem with foreign ownership is that whoever it is takes the club further away from it's roots. Roman Abramovich didn't run around in a Chelsea kit when he was a kid and I doubt their were many Sheikhs who ran around in Man City kits.!

Well, unless the kind generous folk at All Hallows' Church are planning on buying us, then everything else is moving away from our roots!!!

People tend to moan a lot about the club but if you think about it we're a lot better off than a lot of other clubs. I just want consistency and getting as many of our homegrown academy players into the first team as possible. I want players who care and I want supporters who care. I can't be bothered with the plastic fan and club generation.

But mate this is where your whole argument falls down and has done all day, Gazza, Bale, Mabbutt, Ginola etc etc all showed all the passion under the sun and did not come out of our academy, you seem to be basing spurs success purely on how many have come out of our academy, if Soldado banged in 15 so far this season you woudnt be too bothered if Kane was playing

Trust me I am with you on the fans thing, they are as annoying as fuck and of course its great when an academy player comes through, but we need to sign passionate quality no matter what nationality or where they come from - Rafa Van Der Vaart for fuck sake against Woolwich, nobody was more passionate

But mate this is where your whole argument falls down and has done all day, Gazza, Bale, Mabbutt, Ginola etc etc all showed all the passion under the sun and did not come out of our academy, you seem to be basing spurs success purely on how many have come out of our academy, if Soldado banged in 15 so far this season you woudnt be too bothered if Kane was playing

Trust me I am with you on the fans thing, they are as annoying as fuck and of course its great when an academy player comes through, but we need to sign passionate quality no matter what nationality or where they come from - Rafa Van Der Vaart for fuck sake against Woolwich, nobody was more passionate

On the flip side of the RVDV looked like he wanted to be here and with City and their mega stars some of them you feel are their to get a pay check, all for good foreign players but the City team does feel souless sometimes, then again we look like we have got some of them ourselves which is probably why so many of our youth players are getting a chance.

On the flip side of the RVDV looked like he wanted to be here and with City and their mega stars some of them you feel are their to get a pay check, all for good foreign players but the City team does feel souless sometimes, then again we look like we have got some of them ourselves which is probably why so many of our youth players are getting a chance.

The City team are soulless in a lot of ways but as you say they have winners like Aguero and Kompany who would do anything for the cause and their hunger makes up for the fact that they dont really care about City, dont forget city were literally on the ropes when bought, deadmeat, so they had to replace everything, no two takeovers are the same, you would think there is a lot about us you would keep

All I am saying is that the academy should not be the be all and end all, just buy quality, we can even afford the odd mercenary like berbatov as long as there is the passion there

The City team are soulless in a lot of ways but as you say they have winners like Aguero and Kompany who would do anything for the cause and their hunger makes up for the fact that they dont really care about City, dont forget city were literally on the ropes when bought, deadmeat, so they had to replace everything, no two takeovers are the same, you would think there is a lot about us you would keep

I agree if the takeover is about the stadium, some extra funds so we aren't always at the bottom of the net spending league (and thus no longer a selling team) and simply letting the team grow without finacial worry. However if it's sack the manager we need to make a mark when we take over, buying all manner of crazy players and making it feel even more corporate than it has become then I will get a bit worried.

Chelsea and Man City stadiums are on their way to becoming Woolwich in lack of passion and that is a concern. However still better than an owner who loads the club up with debt I guess.

I didn't mean our whole team should consist of only homegrown players. Of course we need to buy players as well as we couldn't possibly survive without them but surely the majority or at least a big part of the team should consist of them? And I'm not just on about English players like Kane and Mason but also Bentaleb. All I'm saying is that I don't want to turn into one of those clubs that doesn't give young players a chance and only ever signs players that are fully developed. I want motivated players who care about the club but we need to find the right balance between signing players and giving academy players a chance.

Maybe i'm being really optimistic, but I think we can succeed without the money. Overall, our owners have invested a good bit into the club over the years. I think it comes down to one good crop of players, a strong manager, great training facilities/ academy set up and you have the makings of a successful club. With this new restructuring of the club hopefully Mitchell and Broomfield can identify up and coming talent for reasonable prices. After all we bought Van der Vaart, Modric and Bale for under £30 mill and they pretty much turned us into a champions league club single handedly.

Eight pages in, lively debate...

...fortunately this still isn't going to happen. Not yet anyway.

(Obviously I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I'm certainly convinced that this the usual media finger in the air pointless reporting)

"Q: Does Qatar want to own a Premier League club?

al-Ali: Yes, of course. Personally speaking I like the English Premier League personally speaking. Since I was young I have jerseys. I'm not going to tell you which clubs. I said it once and the guy was upset with me because he was an Woolwich ... I like all jerseys of Tottenham and I had 2 of them."

Lol.

Back
Top Bottom