The Qataris are coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

zrhwCLO.jpg
barely a difference

I think this is all a potentially worrying situation for the club.

No matter what anybody thinks of the current regime under Levy, we are generally a well managed and stable club financially, no nonsense like Leeds etc and we've always stayed within our means when it comes to buying players and paying their wages.

Monaco and Malaga are two recent examples where the money was pumped in and just as quickly removed causing huge problems.

Dont want to see us ruined chasing titles by throwing money at it

That's a strawman.

The other routes besides a helicopter presumably involve some modicum of squad investment, some modicum of patience with management, and some modicum of control vested outside of the chairman.

Spurs sell themselves as David to hide the fact that they are nothing but a drunken, incompetent Goliath.
No, they really are a David. 10th largest stadium, 6th largest budget, but fighting for the top 4 and twice making it in a decade. No other club has managed that in England, and we have a massive (minimum 50%) gap in revenues to the smallest club above us.

The squad has been invested in. Those kinds of investments are always a risk, with some pay-offs, and some failures. The club has been heavily invested in with a new training centre, academy program and stadium being attempted. That's a very long-term plan which has taken even longer thanks to the nature of trying to get something built in London.

It's bloody hard work, but is actually possible, and will enable us to compete with the Goliaths without having to go down the sugar-daddy path.

Now, trying to claim we're a goliath who is incompetent is some way from the truth, but if you want to have a go at that: We're the 6th biggest club in the land. In any other country in the world, we'd being the 3rd or 4th largest, comfortably. There are over 80 professional teams below us in the football pyramid. Many of whom engage in massive debt-spending to try and reach where we are. Being the 6th largest doesn't make us a small club, but the scale of difference between Spurs and the immediate rivals above us is about the same as the difference between Spurs and the first 20 or so teams below us. The teams above us monopolize the trophies due to their size advantages, making us either the largest of the minnows, or the runt of the goliaths. But we have fought from near bankruptcy in the early 1990s to take this position while the other teams which have tried the same have all suffered massive mistakes (Villa, Wham, Leeds, Portsmouth, Everton, Newcastle, etc). By the measure of what our rivals have done, we are demonstrably the most competent. By the measure of those above us, the only people who weren't there before we experienced difficulty needed to use unsustainable debt spending which leaves the club facing potentially fatal consequences were the owners to pull out.

Your argument has no merit.

While we are on the subject of Russian billionaires...

Woolwich’s Alisher Usmanov loses $809m in 48 hours, Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich loses $449.5m

859950-20278456-1600-900.jpg

Two of the wealthiest men involved in Premier League football have lost a fortune in the past 48 hours, reports Vanity Fair.

In news that will send chills down the spines of Woolwich and Chelsea supporters, Alisher Usmanov and Roman Abramovich have seen their wealth decimated in the last two days as the Russian economy had nosedived.

As Russia ruble has fallen to its lowest value in more than a decade, Chelsea owner Abramovich has reportedly lost $449.5 million. That has left Roman with a net worth of just $12.8 billion.

As for Woolwich’s second largest shareholder Usmanov, he has lost $809 million this week, leaving his net worth at $13.4 billion.

The figures were compiled using data from Bloomberg’s Billionaires index.

Precisely this, the only problem as rightly said is the Qatari human rights record, Apart from that bring it, as if it's not us, it will be another club and we go down another place in table and chances of trophies further reduced

What really changes? When you show up to watch spurs it's still 11 v 11 we will just have more money to spend on decent players and the area would finally get the regeneration it needs, players like Kane would not disappear they would get help

Okay, so how many homegrown City players can you name that start on a regular basis? Or that have even made it into the first team? Or the bench?

I just want to see us be a powerhouse, I couldn't give a shit how it happens. I'm sick of finishing outside of our goals every season and I'm sick of finishing beneath those pigs down the road. Show me the money!

Our fanbase is predominately gentile. The scum up the road have more Jewish fans than us. Nobody had a meltdown when their depot was sponsored by Emirates.
Yes, but Woolwich don't have an Israeli flag occasionally in the ground, and don't go chanting "yiddo" when they score.

It's a bit different. Picture these prospective owners showing up to a match and seeing an entire stadium full of semite-phillic fans singing songs about people they pretend don't exist. It'd require a hell of a lot of cognitive dissonance to get around that.

Went Qatar once, dodgy place and the government workers are especially sus. I wouldn't like the club to be owned or connected to them in any way. If it happens it happens though and I'm sure there isn't too much we could do about it (maybe ST holders and other members could get something going).

There'd still be more of an atmosphere than at the Emirates.

:pochsmirk:

There's more atmosphere at a stamp collection society than the Emirates that’s' hardly a place we want to compare ourselves to, I created more atmosphere farting in the toilet this morning than the goons do at most games.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever is going to be wanking into his morning cornflakes at this news.

Me, I hope it doesn't happen either. No more home grown players, no soul. Etc..

That scares me too as much as I would like the stadium to be completed and for us to be able to hold on to our best players when you look at Chelsea and City they sold themselves to the devil. They produce fuck all home grown players, atmosphere has gone to turd, it's a corporate bollox at those places these days.

Back
Top Bottom