Leicester away, Saturday 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's just be honest here. We have a mediocre team. Compare our team individuals with those of Woolwich, Chelsea or City and they're far ahead of us. Apart from Eriksen, Lloris, Kane and Alderweireld, who are decent players (Lloris is World Class), our players are just midtable quality.

Managed to get a ticket at the very last minute.

Wow, yet again our support was fucking brilliant today and I had a great time. I've still got:

'DELE ALLI, DELE ALLI, DELE ALLI, DELE ALLI, DELE ALLI, HE'S A YID'

Ringing in my ears.

We have the best away support in the PL, for absolute certain. #COYS
Very Nice to hear ,
Shame the team is boring as shit and the owners don't give a fuck .

Hi all

Leicester fan in peace, hope you don't mind me posting.

So Saturday sees our toughest test so far this season and it will be a real indicator of just how far we've progressed. After you doing the double over us last season (league) you have every right to be confident of beating us again.

Our own fans are quite confident of a result on the back of last seasons 'great escape' and the positive manner we've started this campaign. I think most Leicester fans recognise that Spurs have far more talented players but maybe the one area we have a chance is our superior effort and maybe pace.

I think we could see a high scoring game with an inevitable Harry Kane goal. My score prediction is 3-2 City but could quite easily be the other way round.

If you need any info on pubs to drink in prematch feel free to ask

Merson cunt face cunt thinks Leicester have too much for us. What a surprise. I'd like to swing him round and round by the legs, walking towards a desk as i swing him, getting faster and faster. Finally his head makes contact with the corner of the desk and explodes like a watermelon. That would please me.

Whilst I agree. It's also just basic defending. Vertonghen should be more than experienced enough to know Mahrez, who'd gave him a torrid time all game, was going to cut in so Vertonghen just does his little squat dance he tends to do which only gives Mahrez the option to cut in and shoot.

He even done it against Bale in pre-season. Sort of just backing off in a squat position. Real poor defending, as he showed us all game.

So that's 3 games we've given Vertonghen/Alderweireld partnership a try and it's brought in 2 points from a possible 9 and no wins.
If we're running a meritocracy in the squad (and Poch has essentially said as much in the past), then he needs dropping for Wimmer in the next match.

Considering that Bentaleb was benched for his performance against United, I don't see why Jan should be any different.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/tottenham-the-problem-at-hand/

Tottenham: The Problem At Hand

TOPICS:Tottenham
AUG 22, 2015

Just briefly, because not everyone will have had the chance to see this afternoon’s games yet…

Tottenham drew with Leicester City at King Power today and, while superficially a creditable result, it highlighted a couple of obvious deficiencies which will prove to be very troubling if they’re not corrected.

The graphic below shows the visitors’ distribution in the final-third throughout the entire ninety minutes:

Screen-Shot-2015-08-22-at-18.56.57.png

(Courtesy of FourFourTwo).

The obvious point to make is that Spurs really struggled to penetrate their opponent’s penalty-box but, maybe more pertinently, they also failed to infiltrate the areas around Leicester’s area. The completed passes were – and the graphic reflects this – very formulaic, very safe and, largely, highly ineffective.

Leicester played very well and Claudio Ranieri and his technical staff have had a quick, visible impact on their defensive discipline and that’s been evident across all three of their opening games.

Still, that doesn’t provide full mitigation. Rather than being restrained by defensive rigidity or handicapped by an overly-cautious approach, Tottenham were really a product of their own squad composition.

No, Christian Eriksen wasn’t available today and that was obviously to Pochettino’s detriment, but even had he played the graphic above would likely have been much the same. Spurs don’t possess any back-shoulder threat; as fine a forward as Harry Kane is, his initial instinct will always be to come towards the play and to drop deep. Similarly, while the supporting players behind him all have individual merit, none of them show any real urgency going forward and all three of them – both this afternoon and in general – are far too eager to remain in shallow positions. Again, that’s not even really a criticism: as a collective, that is what they habitually do.

Today, Pochettino’s side faced a defence comprising two relatively immobile centre-halves who are both in their thirties, a vulnerable right-back in Ritchie De Laet, and a left-sided full-back who is more comfortable in an opponent’s half than he is his own.

Yet how many times did they look uncomfortable? How often where they turned around? How many times where any of them forced into isolated situations?

Because Tottenham have so little movement at the top of the pitch – no real pace, no elite one-on-one ability – their build-up phases are not only typically quite slow and subsequently easy to defend against, but they have to be incredibly intricate and accurate to be successful.

There’s nothing wrong with that and when it comes off it can look very impressive, but there still has to be a viable alternative. Spurs are not blessed with a lot of match-winners and they are not a Manchester City or a Chelsea, so they have to compensate for that with variety – not hordes of £25m players, but a flexible squad which can ask opposing defences a broader set of questions. A more physical player perhaps, or someone who is willing to consistently make the kind of runs which pull centre-backs out of position.

The defence is well-stocked and the midfield is reasonably eclectic, but the top of the formation has been neglected over the Summer and today was clear evidence of that.

Clinton N’Jie may help in time, but it’s not fair or realistic to expect a twenty-two year-old who has played fewer than fifty professional games to provide an instant solution to such a big problem. When fit, Alex Pritchard might also provide some welcome variety, but he too is more theory than reality and another player who must be allowed time to grow into relevance.

Most of the club’s supporters seem to accept that their side will be quite limited over the next few years –rightly so – but there’s a difference between being financial responsible and being recklessly cheap.

Check results for the first half dozen games of any past season and there are upsets and surprises galore. Wet Spam were still in the top four near Xmas last year. Does anyone think Leicester will be challenging for a champions league place this season? Two games and we're written off already as cannon fodder for Leicester. FFS I would want to be in the trenches with some of the doom merchants on here.

Hard not to agree with all of that... we are, and always have been (apart from twice) a Cup team!

Roll on 'The Fucking Gooner-Loving Emirates Cup' in January!!
What I mean is support Spurs and stop pretending we were something we have not been. Aston Villa have won the league more times and more recently than we have. They have also won the FA cup once less than us and a won a European cup.
We are going in the correct direction imv. ENIC may be cunts but that negative net spend over the last 4 yearshas not done us bad.
All the other teams in the net spend table have out spent us, yet we have consistently finished above them all, bar last years top 4 in those 4 years. Spam have spent the 6th most ffs.
We could have spent like those, it may or may not have got us top 4. Probably not. Yet the money has been invested in the future of the club imo. In a SOA academy/Training centre. A place where players will want to come to work and top world clubs want to use, and a Stadium.
The climate is much harder today to finish top 4, ask Liverpool. They have won one Legaue Cup in last 10 yrs. Yet they have more right to stake a claim at the top table than we do. They realise to compete they must increase capacity and they have a love in with SKY and a massive fan base.
Get behind the team.
I wish most of our fans would drop this sense of entitlement, realise our place at this moment, accept what we are trying to achieve and get behind the team.
Not just when we are playing well/winning.

Back
Top Bottom