Leicester away, Saturday 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vertonghen really seems to have a bad attitude. Apart from his first season, he has Big Time Charlied his way through since. He couldn't wait to get off the pitch at Anfield season before last, and seems to be easy to get past.
Often missing when we concede from a cross - which is despairingly often - he is of little benefit to youngsters around him.
I believe, to be frank, that he lacks the courage to be a leader. Toby, on the other hand, has come in and immediately pointed out the lack of cover in front of them.
Time for Vertonghen to receive the reality check of the bench.
Alternatively, give the ponce a slap.

Leicester were at home, yet you would have thought they were they way team.
Mahrez was their threat. Hit the post and scored. other than that Lloris, what 1 save?
Then they really didn't look like bothering us until they scored.
We may have been a bit impotent but fuck me the onus is on the home team to attack. Not sit back and defend hoping to hit you on the break.
This was the PL in form team and we should have done them.
If not for Chadli switching off we would have.

Do you ever stop to think that Leicester are not obliged to play to our strengths.
Their tactics worked.

"Awwwwwwww poor us...the home team didnt come at us"

Actually they did. How many saves did their keeper make? They had only 6 less shots than us with just 35% posession. We are a lumbering, laborious mess, and your deluded review is even more shambolic considering you just watched the whole game again this morning.

To the point you are wondering whether Berahino could get into the team.

Clown

Great day out spoiled by the football again.

My God, we are fucking pony. Support was fantastic and deserved far more than that shower of shit yesterday.

Our best player was a kid who was playing for MK Dons this time last year. Christ sake.

Vertonghen is a Belgian international that is not 'learning on the job'.
Kane scored 31 goals last season and played for England.
Walker is an England international.
This is Lamela's third season.
How many seasons has Dembele played in the prem?

Learning on the job, right-ho.

Its a joke of a notion:
We have one player in the entire squad under 20. People trying to make out we have 8 teenagers in there.

70 odd per cent posession we had apparently yesterday.....and how many chances did we create ? we didn't even look the better team.....shocking:lamelashock:

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/tottenham-the-problem-at-hand/

Tottenham: The Problem At Hand

TOPICS:Tottenham
AUG 22, 2015

Just briefly, because not everyone will have had the chance to see this afternoon’s games yet…

Tottenham drew with Leicester City at King Power today and, while superficially a creditable result, it highlighted a couple of obvious deficiencies which will prove to be very troubling if they’re not corrected.

The graphic below shows the visitors’ distribution in the final-third throughout the entire ninety minutes:

Screen-Shot-2015-08-22-at-18.56.57.png

(Courtesy of FourFourTwo).

The obvious point to make is that Spurs really struggled to penetrate their opponent’s penalty-box but, maybe more pertinently, they also failed to infiltrate the areas around Leicester’s area. The completed passes were – and the graphic reflects this – very formulaic, very safe and, largely, highly ineffective.

Leicester played very well and Claudio Ranieri and his technical staff have had a quick, visible impact on their defensive discipline and that’s been evident across all three of their opening games.

Still, that doesn’t provide full mitigation. Rather than being restrained by defensive rigidity or handicapped by an overly-cautious approach, Tottenham were really a product of their own squad composition.

No, Christian Eriksen wasn’t available today and that was obviously to Pochettino’s detriment, but even had he played the graphic above would likely have been much the same. Spurs don’t possess any back-shoulder threat; as fine a forward as Harry Kane is, his initial instinct will always be to come towards the play and to drop deep. Similarly, while the supporting players behind him all have individual merit, none of them show any real urgency going forward and all three of them – both this afternoon and in general – are far too eager to remain in shallow positions. Again, that’s not even really a criticism: as a collective, that is what they habitually do.

Today, Pochettino’s side faced a defence comprising two relatively immobile centre-halves who are both in their thirties, a vulnerable right-back in Ritchie De Laet, and a left-sided full-back who is more comfortable in an opponent’s half than he is his own.

Yet how many times did they look uncomfortable? How often where they turned around? How many times where any of them forced into isolated situations?

Because Tottenham have so little movement at the top of the pitch – no real pace, no elite one-on-one ability – their build-up phases are not only typically quite slow and subsequently easy to defend against, but they have to be incredibly intricate and accurate to be successful.

There’s nothing wrong with that and when it comes off it can look very impressive, but there still has to be a viable alternative. Spurs are not blessed with a lot of match-winners and they are not a Manchester City or a Chelsea, so they have to compensate for that with variety – not hordes of £25m players, but a flexible squad which can ask opposing defences a broader set of questions. A more physical player perhaps, or someone who is willing to consistently make the kind of runs which pull centre-backs out of position.

The defence is well-stocked and the midfield is reasonably eclectic, but the top of the formation has been neglected over the Summer and today was clear evidence of that.

Clinton N’Jie may help in time, but it’s not fair or realistic to expect a twenty-two year-old who has played fewer than fifty professional games to provide an instant solution to such a big problem. When fit, Alex Pritchard might also provide some welcome variety, but he too is more theory than reality and another player who must be allowed time to grow into relevance.

Most of the club’s supporters seem to accept that their side will be quite limited over the next few years –rightly so – but there’s a difference between being financial responsible and being recklessly cheap.

Because Tottenham have so little movement at the top of the pitch – no real pace, no elite one-on-one ability – their build-up phases are not only typically quite slow and subsequently easy to defend against, but they have to be incredibly intricate and accurate to be successful.

There. That's the most important point of it.

No movement in front of ball.

70 odd per cent posession we had apparently yesterday.....and how many chances did we create ? we didn't even look the better team.....shocking:lamelashock:

At one point in the 1st half a stat popped up...Leicester 98 passes, Spurs 230 passes.

We'd had the same amount of shots at that stage.
Laughable

Yet, that report fails to tell you that Leicester basically played with the back 4 on the edge of the penalty area. what room is there to turn a defender when doing that.
When we had the ball they defended deep, 2 rows of four. we played high. So, there is very little space to play in either in midfield or to get behind them.
I watched their back line and they were rigid.
Maybe if their full backs would have got forward more often we could have spread the 'ageing' back 4.
However, the way they played seems the standard way to play us and get a result. It's what all teams seem to do to us at Home and get a result.
You have to be intricate to get anything against teams who set up like that.

Because we have no speed in our team or a player who can go at players it makes it harder.

Apologies if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread, but does anybody have a clue as to why Danny Rose isn't playing? And if he is fully fit, should we be concerned that his future at WHL is in question, bearing in mind that he was our most improved player last year and was probably our best player after Kane?

Vertonghen really seems to have a bad attitude. Apart from his first season, he has Big Time Charlied his way through since. He couldn't wait to get off the pitch at Anfield season before last, and seems to be easy to get past.
Often missing when we concede from a cross - which is despairingly often - he is of little benefit to youngsters around him.
I believe, to be frank, that he lacks the courage to be a leader. Toby, on the other hand, has come in and immediately pointed out the lack of cover in front of them.
Time for Vertonghen to receive the reality check of the bench.
Alternatively, give the ponce a slap.

yes i remember that season before last perfectly, that clown of a manager sherwood put sigurdsson in midfield and put out the worst team ever.Not to mention Kaboul who scored an own goal. Vertonghen was demoralised and rightfully so. Sherwood had fallen out with half the squad, so it is utterly pathetic to use this example to attack vertonghen's character. he does make errors once in a while but overall he is solid.

Great day out spoiled by the football again.

My God, we are fucking pony. Support was fantastic and deserved far more than that shower of shit yesterday.

Our best player was a kid who was playing for MK Dons this time last year. Christ sake.

Well put. Alarm bells really should be ringing.

Was it all as slow and ponderous as it look on TV?

I always thought that 'The Tottenham Way' was coined in the '60s by Bill Nic... now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have the likes of Maurice Norman and Dave Mackay in the team at that time? Didn't see them surrendering a 2-goal lead within 5 minutes, or conceding a goal within seconds of scoring what should've been an 81st minute winner... THEY COULD DEFEND! The Tottenham Way isn't just about all out attack...
we conceded 55 (league) goals the season we won the double

Not sure if you, YidoBuckler YidoBuckler or mouse mouse saw this, but after they scored some of the Spurs fans to my right were hit by bottles of water and other stuff thrown by their supporters.

Glad you managed to get a ticket in the end mate. Home crowd where decent. Yeah, those (happy) clapper things rained down after they got the equaliser. They had no police on our side at all.

Saw a Leicester fan holding his kid and complaining to the steward that he'd been hit by a plastic bottle that had only been delivered back to where it had come from. Who the fuck sits slap bang next to the away fans with their 5 year old kid?

Great day out though, must have lost a stone in sweat in the pub. I got back to Notts and carried on. Had to DJ at 10pm, i have no idea what i played or how it went down.

Last edited:
yes i remember that season before last perfectly, that clown of a manager sherwood put sigurdsson in midfield and put out the worst team ever.Not to mention Kaboul who scored an own goal. Vertonghen was demoralised and rightfully so. Sherwood had fallen out with half the squad, so it is utterly pathetic to use this example to attack vertonghen's character. he does make errors once in a while but overall he is solid.

A demoralised leader will still be a leader. To call my opinion 'utterly pathetic' because you disagree with me is just juvenile. Had he led by example, as a Captain of Tottenham Hotspur,as his predecessors did, we may have been saved another humiliation.
He abdicated responsibility . Us old timers demand a bit more from our skippers than 'solid.'

A demoralised leader will still be a leader. To call my opinion 'utterly pathetic' because you disagree with me is just juvenile. Had he led by example, as a Captain of Tottenham Hotspur,as his predecessors did, we may have been saved another humiliation.
He abdicated responsibility . Us old timers demand a bit more from our skippers than 'solid.'
Agreed. I've been boring on about our lack of leadership for a few years now. It's the sort of thing a black box can't tell you. Number of key passes, number of yards, average position on the pitch etc etc. We need a player who may look shite on paper but possesses a calming influence on the pitch at the right times but the authority to scream at players at other times. I struggle to think of a player like this since Teddy. Even Ledley was a bit too quiet for me at times. Harry could develop into that with time but we lack that massively currently. Until we find a real leader, we'll keep giving away leads and / or keep letting our heads drop when we go a goal down.

We need a player who may look shite on paper but possesses a calming influence on the pitch at the right times but the authority to scream at players at other times.
Maybe its not on the pitch where this is needed. Changing rooms is where the psyche happens. Players should come out ready, as teams seem to do against us? I agree a leader on the pitch is necessary and must lead by example and earn respect. For me, the players need to respect and fear the coach on equal measures.

We need to ask, do our players fear Poch, do they respect him, do they play for him? The best coaches demand it.
Only time will tell.

Agreed. I've been boring on about our lack of leadership for a few years now. It's the sort of thing a black box can't tell you. Number of key passes, number of yards, average position on the pitch etc etc. We need a player who may look shite on paper but possesses a calming influence on the pitch at the right times but the authority to scream at players at other times. I struggle to think of a player like this since Teddy. Even Ledley was a bit too quiet for me at times. Harry could develop into that with time but we lack that massively currently. Until we find a real leader, we'll keep giving away leads and / or keep letting our heads drop when we go a goal down.
Parker was the type of player who could grab a game by the scruff of the neck & get people around him lifted on the pitch. Not the most vocal, but a player of that ilk, the water carrier type, is what we need on the pitch- rather than everyone stood with hands on hips looking at each other thinking "what just happened there?" It's one thing to get done by a sublime piece of skill or play, but these sloppy mistakes are going to ruin the season before its properly underway. 3 games in & 4 points lost from winning positions suggests a weak mentality.

Back
Top Bottom