Why finishing in top 4 will be harder ( but still attainable)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who should we have signed then? Our top targets the last few years who we have missed out on have all went to other clubs based on financial gains that we can't offer them. Would we have been any better with Martial and Batshuayi? I honestly doubt we would have been.

We should have signed a striker this season in the window (experienced or young/pacy) just to give us a buffer to the unexpected yet predictable.

However we are nowhere near mediocre but we also must recognise that at some point soon we must win a trophy or come 2nd for example this season or out hest assets will angle for a move.

Staying as good as we are is not an option.

"The greatest deception football supporters suffer is from their own opinions.
giphy.gif

Er.. Young.

(In context "young/pacy" suggests both not 1 or the other.... See "Experienced or...")

"Young" in itself isn't quite the tangible positive attribute... Inexperienced, naive, in need of coaching, in need of physical development.... : P

Young & Pacey... Young & hard-working... Young & eager to learn..... Now maybe we're onto something.

(Hence, I'm often irritated by the blanket "buy kids" attitude that has been knee-jerk adopted on the strength of Poch' coaching tendencies by many of our fans.)

Edit:

ST1: Kane
ST2: Experience short-termer to hit the ground running and be credible support and depth where required.
ST3: Young developing player with similar key attributes to HK to 'promote' in due course.

...Is how I'd hoped to start the season.

Last edited:
For the second season in a row we look to have the best defence, how many leagues in Europe would the best defence finish 6th, which is where you say we belong?

Had we not had a shocking summer window we'd be a lot closer to top of the league than 10 points adrift, 2nd season running with too many draws, we bought shite and have to learn from that or history will again repeat itself. That has nothing to do with financial muscle or not being able to compete for the league, we can and we have the spine capable to do so, so I don't buy the overachieving argument this season, not to say that hasn't been true previously.

This team, this best XI and probably the best 3-4 subs are capable of winning the league, finishing 3-4th isn't overachieving at all. 5th or 6th is underachieving with this squad of players and with this manager, but on financial muscle you'd have us believe that's where we should be. I don't agree.

I already did answer it, they're the least tolerant of contrary viewpoints.

Feel sorry for you, you've opened up Pandora's box here. You can't win debates with the majority of people on here, they'll carry it on until they die, usually with no evidence or even an objective.

Example, I'm accused of being negative in every match thread. Pretty sure I've posted about 10 times in the last 5 match threads combined. Doesn't stop people mouthing off

I'm confident we will still make the top 4, but regardless of where we finish this year, it is undoubtedly an exciting time to be a spurs fan with much to look forward to both on and off the pitch.

Feel sorry for you, you've opened up Pandora's box here. You can't win debates with the majority of people on here, they'll carry it on until they die, usually with no evidence or even an objective.

Example, I'm accused of being negative in every match thread. Pretty sure I've posted about 10 times in the last 5 match threads combined. Doesn't stop people mouthing off
I know, not even fussed about the few disagrees, they were to be expected, I'm speaking my mind. There's a clique on here and it's positivity.

Maybe I went overboard with mediocrity but I do genuinely believe top 6 finishes in the last decade is nothing to be overly proud of, be proud of the improvement from the Sugar years but top 6 is no actual achievement.

So while I agree that unrelenting support is no more objective, the fact is that positivity benefits club and fans more than negativity ever will.
The players & manager don't read this forum & couldn't care less about what any of us post on here.
So positive or negative posts will have no impact on the club.
I agree support might have an impact at matches but then you are assuming everyone on here goes to games & behaves the way they post.

Also, some of the positive posters celebrate a goal or a win by having a go at any negative supporters. The goal or victory has just happened & they are straight on the forum posting angry rants.
Not my idea of a good supporter!
& you will also notice in a match thread they would have posted way more attacks on negative posters than positive posts about a win.
In fact some just come out to join in the attacks.
probably to feel more popular.

Thankfully there are way more positive fans on here who celebrate goals & winning the right way.
& they don't feel the need to constantly attack negative posters.

Last edited:
(In context "young/pacy" suggests both not 1 or the other.... See "Experienced or...")

In punctuation, the oblique stroke is both commonly accepted to indicate both "and" and also "or".
i.e. Watch out for his/her ambiguous statement

Anyway, we have lots of young and pacy forwards in the team, including Georges, but Poch doesn't seem to have a preference for that attribute over others, so a young and technical player is what we got.

In punctuation, the oblique stroke is both commonly accepted to indicate both "and" and also "or".
i.e. Watch out for his/her ambiguous statement

Indeed. I am more than aware of this, but I'm looking past the grammatical errors in the original post... It's clear (to me at least) what they meant.

(I meant "context" in terms of that of the original post.)

Anyway, we have lots of young and pacy forwards in the team, including Georges, but Poch doesn't seem to have a preference for that attribute over others, so a young and technical player is what we got.

C'mon man, we both know we're specifically talking CFs here.... (Not that I, personally, have 'demanded' pace here either way... That was the original poster.)

(My hopes for last summer are above in an earlier post... Should clear up my outlook.)

Last edited:
Indeed. I am more than aware of this, but I'm looking past the grammatical errors in the original post... It's clear (to me at least) what they meant.

(I meant "context" in terms of that of the original post.)

C'mon man, we both know we're specifically talking CFs here.... (Not that I, personally, have 'demanded' pace here either way... That was the original poster.)

Regardless, the only position Poch seems to want pace is behind the striker and on the wings.

i.e. I think if Poch would have used a pacy striker, he'd have signed one. If we signed one, he probably wouldn't have used him (i.e. like he hasn't regularly used young pacy players in other areas)

Regardless, the only position Poch seems to want pace is behind the striker and on the wings.

i.e. I think if Poch would have used a pacy striker, he'd have signed one. If we signed one, he probably wouldn't have used him (i.e. like he hasn't regularly used young pacy players in other areas)

Like I say, dude.... Rest is prob best debated with Noreasonitcantbeus

Match threads I didn't post in = must have thought we would have lost apparently.
Despite me barely ever predicting a loss this season.

Said we should rest key players against millwall & will still win 4-0. Most said play our best 11 & millwall will be tough to beat.
Still too negative of me.

Sad thing is they moan about negative posters posting but are desperate for the negative posters to post negative stuff.
If you don't, they don't like it & block it out their minds. Then they are desperate to start an argument with negative posters.
They are more interested in negative supporters then what is actually going on with the team.

& I notice that when you haven't posted at all in a match thread, they can't not talk about you.
Slagging off jayc = good way to support a goal or win according to them.

I know, not even fussed about the few disagrees, they were to be expected, I'm speaking my mind. There's a clique on here and it's positivity.

Maybe I went overboard with mediocrity but I do genuinely believe top 6 finishes in the last decade is nothing to be overly proud of, be proud of the improvement from the Sugar years but top 6 is no actual achievement.
A lot of those people who say top 6 is an achievement also say our manager & team is better than the others.
& the likes of man utd, liverpool & man city are shit.
6th is a good achievement even though we are much better than the teams around us.
Doesn't add up.

The 'negativity vs positivity' debate is the dullest topic on the Internet... Thoughts?

(....Careful now! :llorishowudoin:)

Back
Top Bottom