Why finishing in top 4 will be harder ( but still attainable)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe I went overboard with mediocrity but I do genuinely believe top 6 finishes in the last decade is nothing to be overly proud of, be proud of the improvement from the Sugar years but top 6 is no actual achievement.

You can't go from stable mid-table to stable top 4 overnight.

Finishing consistently in the top 6 is an achievement, as it shows positive progression. You can't break into the top 4 unless you're already regularly on the cusp of it, else you lose your players who want to play regular European football (i.e. look at Everton for this).

Top 6 = Europa League = European Football. When we started to get consistent European football, we started to attract and retain a better calibre of player.

You can't go from stable mid-table to stable top 4 overnight.

Finishing consistently in the top 6 is an achievement, as it shows positive progression. You can't break into the top 4 unless you're already regularly on the cusp of it, else you lose your players who want to play regular European football (i.e. look at Everton for this).

Top 6 = Europa League = European Football. When we started to get consistent European football, we started to attract and retain a better calibre of player.

Seems a lack of consistency in certain attitudes....in November some claimed 8th at best, and we'd be lucky to get 6th.
Then when we pick it up, catching and overtaking Liverpool, City and arse and go 2nd, but instead of being impressed that we have surpassed their wildest expectations, its just numerous posts about how our transfer policy and poor squad has ruined our chance of winning the title.

I remember some constantly looking behind and crapping one out over Utd catching us after the game at Old Trafford. Four months on, and we still have loads of daylight between us, yet its not good enough.

Expect 8th, pissed off with 2nd.....laughable.

I agree and disagree. Negativity is just another word for not accepting mediocrity, whereas as the happy clappers do exactly that. That's all beside the point anyway as this has nothing to do with atmosphere at the lane and I'd wager that people who are a bit Eeyore like would get behind the team live at a game, it's about freedom of expression online, not at games.

Anyway, enough derailing the thread purpose, they just have the right to be negative is all :thumbup:

Have you honestly just referred to the club as mediocre now? We're bloody second in the fucking Premier League. If you came to me ten years ago and said Spurs would be 2nd in the league now I'd have laughed in your fucking face. We have closed a gap that without an oil baron buying you over, seemed impossible. Yet we did it. And we keep doing it. We're far from mediocre right now. We're playing the best football we have ever played in many of our poster's (but not all) lifetimes.

Praise needs to be earned.

From your own fans? We're not neutrals. Constructive criticism is welcome on message boards, but it's obvious that a few on here appear to revel in poor performances and defeats. Support is going when the team is shit, a gallows humour permeating any pre-match pint. Not the "I'm done with this shit" and "I'm out" stuff you get on here after a 0-0 against Sunderland.

Neither does posters who constantly pump the club or players up, that's not objective either. Yet they never get called out for it. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander but they can get away with it under the guise of "supporting the club".

So no, I don't give a shit if there are some that are negative constantly, for a club that hasn't won much in a generation (3 trophies in my lifetime) there are FAR FAR more who constantly unjustly pump up the club, I find that nauseating to be honest. Praise needs to be earned.
Woeful. You support a club because it's in your genes. Winning trophies is the icing on the cake & at Spurs we are luckier than most in that department.

Go to Rochdale, Oldham, Bury, Stockport (or Bolton these days). Or hundreds of other clubs.

They still get a turn out. Not because they win trophies. Because people have a natural affinity for whatever reason.

3 trophies in your lifetime...what a hardship it must be.

It's simple really, why move the goalposts now? We might catch Chelsea, but let's not worry about doing it. We desperately tried to catch Leicester last year and it backfired horribly for us.

I don't believe it backfired for us at all. Everyone will remember us kicking the shit out of Chelsea because we were gutted we didn't win the title and they'll also remember Woolwich celebrating finishing above us like they'd won the title. It showed the different directions the clubs are going in.

The transformation will be complete next season. They'll be in their Puma kits, playing Europa League football, dreaming about breaking into the top 4, while we'll be the Nike wearing CL team hopefully embarking on another title challenge.

we have, that's plain to see and fwiw with a little be more quality in depth we have a title winning capable squad in the coming years and hope we don't waste Jan and Tony in particular by not achieving it.

That said, where we are now is around where we should be, so praising the improvement from the end of the AVB/Sherwood period is merely praising an improvement from perennial underperformers which is a bit shallow, that said, Poch's ability with young players and the style of football played is worthy of adulation.

What more worthy of praise would be the improvements made on and off the pitch since ENIC bought the club.

wouldn't expect you to, they're generally the ones that are the least tolerant of contrary views.

AVB and Sherwood did absolutely fine in their time in charge. They just weren't going to take us to be above a level that we should be right now. For you to suggest they were under-performers is to suggest that we are where we should be now. And let me tell you right now. We're above where we should be. We have over-performed for a number of years. Our rightful place is 6th at best if you look at transfer budget and wage budget. Yet we often outperform those with bigger budgets. Many of our fans like to believe we should be winning the league every year. But the truth is we don't have the financial firepower to compete, yet year in and year out, we do compete. If all you care about is trophies though then this isn't currently the club for you. We're a work in progress and we're doing a fucking tremendous job.

"The greatest deception football supporters suffer is from their own opinions.
giphy.gif

Thankfully the timing couldn't have been better. The fixtures he's 99% sure to miss are:

Southampton (H)
Burnley (A)
Swansea (A)
Watford (H)
Bournemouth (H)

Our team without kane is far better than all of those with only Burnley being a challenge due to their strong home form this season.

By some miracle he'll be back for the Semi final against Chelsea or at least the NLD, but if we can beat those teams we'll be on 71 points, (66 with 1 draw and 1 loss). And looking at the other teams fixtures, 66+ will still put us in the top 4 going into May.

The thing which is giving me optimism is this:

Manchester City's next 5 PL Fixtures are

Liverpool (H)
Woolwich (A)
Chelsea (A)
Hull (H)
Southampton (A)

This gives us extra breathing room on at least 2 of City, Liverpool and Woolwich. It also allows us to slip up once and still remain top 3.

Liverpool's next 5 are;

Man city (A)
Everton (H)
Bournemouth (H)
Stoke (A)
West brom (A)

Now they've been excellent against the top 6 so I'm really counting on the lower positioned teams to do us a favour here. Liverpool are having to rely on their home form too much at the moment and their games against the bottom teams have been shit.

Woolwich's next 5 are:

WBA (A)
Man city (H)
West ham (H)
Crystal Palace (A)
Middlesborough (A)

I'm going to include their last 4 too because that's where it gets trickier

Tottenham (A)
Man united (H)
Stoke (A)
Everton (H)

No comment on them. Let the gods do the work.

Man united Have to play:

Middlesbrough (A)
West brom (H)
Everton (H)
Sunderland (A)
Chelsea (H)

In conclusion, all the top 6 teams still play each other, so if we drop points, they will too.
These next 3 fixtures will tell us how well we can cope without Kane and if we win 2 of 3 we can start being positive.

I know as Long time Spurs fans we're used to being negative nancies, but these are good times. Lets be happy while it lasts and look forward to each game as they come. Come on ya cunts!

Also; Rose 'should' be back beginning of April

Last edited:
Neither does posters who constantly pump the club or players up, that's not objective either. Yet they never get called out for it. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander but they can get away with it under the guise of "supporting the club".

So no, I don't give a shit if there are some that are negative constantly, for a club that hasn't won much in a generation (3 trophies in my lifetime) there are FAR FAR more who constantly unjustly pump up the club, I find that nauseating to be honest. Praise needs to be earned.
There is an obvious reason why the happy clappers get more of a pass. In fact you've already said why. The clue is in the word "support". So while I agree that unrelenting support is no more objective, the fact is that positivity benefits club and fans more than negativity ever will. Negativity is what generates horrid atmospheres at the Lane when we have a couple of bad results. At least the happy clappers still get behind the team when we struggle. I don't see how that is, on balance, as bad as negativity. 12th man and all that.

Constructive criticism, balanced with positivity when due, is fine. Most reasonable fans will be like that, and most will look at things of concern when we're in bad form. But still moaning when we're second in the league, unbeaten at home and just come off a record of 9 Premier League straight wins? Sorry. but that's bollocks mate. If you truly have been a fan for as long as you say then you'd know there's not much to complain about these days.

I agree and disagree. Negativity is just another word for not accepting mediocrity, whereas as the happy clappers do exactly that. That's all beside the point anyway as this has nothing to do with atmosphere at the lane and I'd wager that people who are a bit Eeyore like would get behind the team live at a game, it's about freedom of expression online, not at games.

Anyway, enough derailing the thread purpose, they just have the right to be negative is all :thumbup:
When was the last time we "accepted mediocrity"? We've got a brand new stadium on the way. We've got a state of the art training ground. We've finished in the top six ten times in twelve years. We've won a trophy, two more cup finals, been in the CL twice and almost constantly been in Europe within that time. This site didn't even exist before 12 years ago. Hell, most Spurs sites didn't.

So what mediocrity are you talking about these happy clappers accepting? The Sugar years?

Sorry mate, but you're still talking shit.

Oh, and you have no idea whether of not the negative nancies take their negativity in the stands. I've listened to many moaners in the ground so your "doubt they do" doesn't entirely convince me.

Back
Top Bottom