Why finishing in top 4 will be harder ( but still attainable)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Neither does posters who constantly pump the club or players up, that's not objective either. Yet they never get called out for it. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander but they can get away with it under the guise of "supporting the club".

So no, I don't give a shit if there are some that are negative constantly, for a club that hasn't won much in a generation (3 trophies in my lifetime) there are FAR FAR more who constantly unjustly pump up the club, I find that nauseating to be honest. Praise needs to be earned.

We've been gradually improving as a squad over the last 10 years and our team hasn't earned the praise that more positive fans give them? Fuck off mate. That's just fucking bollocks.

There is an obvious reason why the happy clappers get more of a pass. In fact you've already said why. The clue is in the word "support". So while I agree that unrelenting support is no more objective, the fact is that positivity benefits club and fans more than negativity ever will. Negativity is what generates horrid atmospheres at the Lane when we have a couple of bad results. At least the happy clappers still get behind the team when we struggle. I don't see how that is, on balance, as bad as negativity. 12th man and all that.

Constructive criticism, balanced with positivity when due, is fine. Most reasonable fans will be like that, and most will look at things of concern when we're in bad form. But still moaning when we're second in the league, unbeaten at home and just come off a record of 9 Premier League straight wins? Sorry. but that's bollocks mate. If you truly have been a fan for as long as you say then you'd know there's not much to complain about these days.
I agree and disagree. Negativity is just another word for not accepting mediocrity, whereas as the happy clappers do exactly that. That's all beside the point anyway as this has nothing to do with atmosphere at the lane and I'd wager that people who are a bit Eeyore like would get behind the team live at a game, it's about freedom of expression online, not at games.

Anyway, enough derailing the thread purpose, they just have the right to be negative is all :thumbup:

I'll stand by them even if they annoy some whom imo can't handle criticism, not necessarily you personally, Joe. But those types are here and they're more of a problem than those that are gloom merchants.

I don't see how people who won't hear a bad word about Spurs are more of a problem - I honestly can't see that.

where we are now is around where we should be
We should always be second in the league? What right do we have to be here? Man U and Liverpool are much bigger clubs than us in terms of money and fans. Shouldn't they be around about second? Woolwich are bigger than us for the same reason. Chelsea abd City are richer than us. What is our divine right to be second or even top four/six? You're talking shit mate....and even if this is where we "should" be, it doesn't mean it should be taken for granted and is not an achievement. Three trophies in your lifetime maybe, but I can tell you've followed the club for a much shorter period than that because your entirely lack perspective on where and how we've progressed.

the improvement from the end of the AVB/Sherwood period is merely praising an improvement from perennial underperformers
Moronic garbage. Perennial underperformers under AVB/Sherwood? What planet are you on? AVB got us our Premier League points record up to that point. So you're saying everything since our last title win in the 60s is no good enough. You're ssentially saying that we have a right to whine like spoiled babies if we don't win the league every year.

Pathetic. Utterly Pathetic.

wouldn't expect you to, they're generally the ones that are the least tolerant of contrary views.
Being tolerant of other views doesn't mean having to be tolerant of constant and annoying negativity when it isn't warranted, nor does it mean having to tolerate unmeritorious remarks about underachieving. There's offering a contrary viewpoint, and then there's talking complete bollocks.

For the second season in a row we look to have the best defence, how many leagues in Europe would the best defence finish 6th, which is where you say we belong?
It takes more than a good defence to be second. Man U had the best defence last year. Why aren't they in second?

Had we not had a shocking summer window we'd be a lot closer to top of the league than 10 points adrift,
How do you know? Who would you have signed? Where would they fit into the squad? How do you know they would've hit the ground running? How much were you prepared to pay in wages? Whose place were you going to sacrifice? Is Wanyama not a great addition (That's one space in the squad the finished third last year already taken up)? Which tactics would you use to accommodate you new signing/s?

This team, this best XI and probably the best 3-4 subs are capable of winning the league, finishing 3-4th isn't overachieving at all.
It takes more than a best 11 to win a league when factoring in fitness and injuries....and also number of fixtures. Us winning the league would absolutely be an overachievement. Do you think our squad is better than all those of our rivals?

Last edited:
For the second season in a row we look to have the best defence, how many leagues in Europe would the best defence finish 6th, which is where you say we belong?

Had we not had a shocking summer window we'd be a lot closer to top of the league than 10 points adrift, 2nd season running with too many draws, we bought shite and have to learn from that or history will again repeat itself. That has nothing to do with financial muscle or not being able to compete for the league, we can and we have the spine capable to do so, so I don't buy the overachieving argument this season, not to say that hasn't been true previously.

This team, this best XI and probably the best 3-4 subs are capable of winning the league, finishing 3-4th isn't overachieving at all. 5th or 6th is underachieving with this squad of players and with this manager, but on financial muscle you'd have us believe that's where we should be. I don't agree.

I already did answer it, they're the least tolerant of contrary viewpoints.

Feel sorry for you, you've opened up Pandora's box here. You can't win debates with the majority of people on here, they'll carry it on until they die, usually with no evidence or even an objective.

Example, I'm accused of being negative in every match thread. Pretty sure I've posted about 10 times in the last 5 match threads combined. Doesn't stop people mouthing off

Feel sorry for you, you've opened up Pandora's box here. You can't win debates with the majority of people on here, they'll carry it on until they die, usually with no evidence or even an objective.

Example, I'm accused of being negative in every match thread. Pretty sure I've posted about 10 times in the last 5 match threads combined. Doesn't stop people mouthing off
Match threads I didn't post in = must have thought we would have lost apparently.
Despite me barely ever predicting a loss this season.

Said we should rest key players against millwall & will still win 4-0. Most said play our best 11 & millwall will be tough to beat.
Still too negative of me.

Sad thing is they moan about negative posters posting but are desperate for the negative posters to post negative stuff.
If you don't, they don't like it & block it out their minds. Then they are desperate to start an argument with negative posters.
They are more interested in negative supporters then what is actually going on with the team.

& I notice that when you haven't posted at all in a match thread, they can't not talk about you.
Slagging off jayc = good way to support a goal or win according to them.

The 'negativity vs positivity' debate is the dullest topic on the Internet... Thoughts?

(....Careful now! :llorishowudoin:)

Sad thing is they moan about negative posters posting but are desperate for the negative posters to post negative stuff.

That statement is complete horseshit Scott. Match threads are virtually unreadable because of the whining. Who are the 'they' you mention. You seem to have aligned yourself with a few posters who think they are the only ones to speak the 'truth'. It's nothing but arrogance. Who is desperate to read the bollocks that Art Vandelay Art Vandelay and the like post? Not me for one.

We are the same odds to beat Southampton home, as Woolwich are to beat West Brom away. We are 6 points about the scum and West Brom are 7 points ahead of Southampton.

IMO this is the bookies (a) being biased towards the scum and (b) placing far too much relevance on the Kane injury.
Or that there is an army of idiots still betting on Woolwich wins
:nawty:

I don't believe it backfired for us at all. Everyone will remember us kicking the shit out of Chelsea because we were gutted we didn't win the title and they'll also remember Woolwich celebrating finishing above us like they'd won the title. It showed the different directions the clubs are going in.

The transformation will be complete next season. They'll be in their Puma kits, playing Europa League football, dreaming about breaking into the top 4, while we'll be the Nike wearing CL team hopefully embarking on another title challenge.

The end of our season last year was a disaster. Let's not pretend otherwise. After the draw at WBA we were atrocious. But I agree with the sentiment that things are changing.

With United a very real possibility to win Europa, don't we have to finish Top 3 in order to guarantee a Champ League spot?
No, sorry but I'm amazed any Spurs fan doesn't know the qualifying rules after the ways it's fucked us over in recent seasons

With United a very real possibility to win Europa, don't we have to finish Top 3 in order to guarantee a Champ League spot?
1mlgkc.jpg

I think we have left ourselves with a huge task. It's a shame we've got so many crocked, because I think we would win it from here with a fully fit starting XI to call upon. I totally agree that if the chavs get citeh' d on Wednesday & we throttle the swans, then it's on like donkey Kong. I just hope that we don't fold if it becomes unachievable. That was painful last year & I don't want that misery again this May.

An FA cup semi final to look forward to may keep the lads focussed on football rather than their summer holidays. And when we beat the chavs to get to the final, that will give them a little bit more impetus
I like your last paragraph there, and I agree it's very frustrating, but hey just enjoy the ride, you can't really do much else.

I was chatting to a couple of Leeds fans on Friday night and even they were saying still, how we threw it away last season and the league should have been ours. Our day will come either way as long as we keep Poc. A couple of key signings and we're looking at a dynasty in my opinion.

Last edited:
Weren't we top for about 20 mins when we went 2-1 up against the Scum?

Not sure

You're right. Us and Leicester were both on 57 points I believe (With Leicester having a game in hand) and the equaliser then saw us end the gameweek on 55 points and Leicester winning their game in hand to go 5 points clear.

That whole week was shit because we also lost to West Ham midweek on a day that Leicester dropped points - that was when the league title was lost in my view.

And I remember saying in the Gooner match thread that I didn't just want to win but to totally humiliate them

I still can't work out what happened
:walkercry:

Still maintain that we didn't win that because we took Lamela off. Same happened in the game at The Emirates - Lamela was the driving force in the game, he was the one winning everything, harrying the Woolwich players, creating our chances and when he was subbed off in both games, we lost the heart and desire he was bringing us.

It was totally unacceptable to draw 2-2 with Woolwich at home with the game being so important and they also had 10 men too.

Back
Top Bottom