Why finishing in top 4 will be harder ( but still attainable)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe I went overboard with mediocrity but I do genuinely believe top 6 finishes in the last decade is nothing to be overly proud of, be proud of the improvement from the Sugar years but top 6 is no actual achievement.

You can't go from stable mid-table to stable top 4 overnight.

Finishing consistently in the top 6 is an achievement, as it shows positive progression. You can't break into the top 4 unless you're already regularly on the cusp of it, else you lose your players who want to play regular European football (i.e. look at Everton for this).

Top 6 = Europa League = European Football. When we started to get consistent European football, we started to attract and retain a better calibre of player.

You can't go from stable mid-table to stable top 4 overnight.

Finishing consistently in the top 6 is an achievement, as it shows positive progression. You can't break into the top 4 unless you're already regularly on the cusp of it, else you lose your players who want to play regular European football (i.e. look at Everton for this).

Top 6 = Europa League = European Football. When we started to get consistent European football, we started to attract and retain a better calibre of player.

Seems a lack of consistency in certain attitudes....in November some claimed 8th at best, and we'd be lucky to get 6th.
Then when we pick it up, catching and overtaking Liverpool, City and arse and go 2nd, but instead of being impressed that we have surpassed their wildest expectations, its just numerous posts about how our transfer policy and poor squad has ruined our chance of winning the title.

I remember some constantly looking behind and crapping one out over Utd catching us after the game at Old Trafford. Four months on, and we still have loads of daylight between us, yet its not good enough.

Expect 8th, pissed off with 2nd.....laughable.

Seems a lack of consistency in certain attitudes....in November some claimed 8th at best, and we'd be lucky to get 6th.
Then when we pick it up, catching and overtaking Liverpool, City and arse and go 2nd, but instead of being impressed that we have surpassed their wildest expectations, its just numerous posts about how our transfer policy and poor squad has ruined our chance of winning the title.

I remember some constantly looking behind and crapping one out over Utd catching us after the game at Old Trafford. Four months on, and we still have daylight, yet its not good enough.

Expect 8th, pissed off with 2nd.....laughable.

Oh definitely.

It wasn't long ago we were finishing 5th and creaming our giddy knickers about getting CL football - now we're becoming a top 3 side, we should somehow be ashamed of our other best seasons in the PL?

It's like some people have last season's Leicester kit in their wardrobe.

I know, not even fussed about the few disagrees, they were to be expected, I'm speaking my mind. There's a clique on here and it's positivity.

Maybe I went overboard with mediocrity but I do genuinely believe top 6 finishes in the last decade is nothing to be overly proud of, be proud of the improvement from the Sugar years but top 6 is no actual achievement.
Meanwhile, you bottle out of backing up your own claims.

#NoCredibility

Because you drag other fans down when they are happy.
If I don't even post then how can I drag them down.
Turn to humour when you can't say a good argument back, go you.
Letting a stranger on an internet forum drag you down. Bloody hell.

If I don't even post then how can I drag them down.
Turn to humour when you can't say a good argument back, go you.
Oh I think you'll see I've offered up plenty of argument in this thread. Your post added nothing. Why waste time repeating what I have already said?

And yes, the moaners to get me, for one, down. I come on here to celebrate a great result, be it beating a top side, a drubbing or whatever else, and there are still cunts whining about how something or other isn't good enough. It's pitiful and it ruins the celebration because it is a constant reminder that some of our fans are total and unsatisfied cunts. Do you wish to be regarded that way?

Oh I think you'll see I've offered up plenty of argument in this thread. Your post added nothing. Why waste time repeating what I have already said?

And yes, the moaners to get me, for one, down. I come on here to celebrate a great result, be it beating a top side, a drubbing or whatever else, and there are still cunts whining about how something or other isn't good enough. It's pitiful and it ruins the celebration because it is a constant reminder that some of our fans are total and unsatisfied cunts. Do you wish to be regarded that way?
It is ok. You are just ignoring what you can't answer. You are happy with supporters who celebrate a goal or win by straight away ranting & raving about negative supporters rather than posting about the fact we just scored or won. Each to their own.
& I see your ego is coming through that you think we should care how you regard us.
Good night.

It is ok. You are just ignoring what you can't answer. You are happy with supporters who celebrate a goal or win by straight away ranting & raving about negative supporters rather than posting about the fact we just scored or won. Each to their own.
& I see your ego is coming through that you think we should care how you regard us.
Good night.
I don't know of anyone who attacks other posters before celebrating goals. If such people exist they are a minority and I certainly haven't spotted them. I find your claim to be false.....and what comes first the negative moaner or the person who responds? Think about it billy big bollocks. Ain't hard to work out.

I don't know of anyone who attacks other posters before celebrating goals. If such people exist they are a minority and I certainly haven't spotted them. I find your claim to be false.....and what comes first the negative moaner or the person who responds? Think about it billy big bollocks. Ain't hard to work out.
Part of the point was they bring up & rant about negative posters who haven't even been posting in the match thread.
Look back at match threads & you will see it is a true claim.
billy big bollocks?! I am just posting on a forum. Calm down. I thought it was clear my name was scott.
Anyway, can't be bothered going over it all again & airflixx is right.

Part of the point was they bring up & rant about negative posters who haven't even been posting in the match thread.
Look back at match threads & you will see it is a true claim.
billy big bollocks?! I am just posting on a forum. Calm down. I thought it was clear my name was scott.
Anyway, can't be bothered going over it all again & airflixx is right.
Now who has nothing to say....? ;)

Now who has nothing to say....? ;)
You ignored it again you weirdo.
Your claim that no positive supporter has attacked or ranted about negative supporters straight after we score or win is clearly false for everyone to see.
You just have to go back & read a few match threads.
There is no getting away from it unless they go back & delete the posts.
Anyway. We are getting nowhere.
Both have made our points.
You carry on denying facts. I can't be bothered. Goodnight salmon.

Last edited:
Sad thing is they moan about negative posters posting but are desperate for the negative posters to post negative stuff.

That statement is complete horseshit Scott. Match threads are virtually unreadable because of the whining. Who are the 'they' you mention. You seem to have aligned yourself with a few posters who think they are the only ones to speak the 'truth'. It's nothing but arrogance. Who is desperate to read the bollocks that Art Vandelay Art Vandelay and the like post? Not me for one.

We are the same odds to beat Southampton home, as Woolwich are to beat West Brom away. We are 6 points about the scum and West Brom are 7 points ahead of Southampton.

IMO this is the bookies (a) being biased towards the scum and (b) placing far too much relevance on the Kane injury.

Back
Top Bottom