West Ham United VS Tottenham Hotspur - Wednesday 31th August, London Stadium 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This.

You can include Lloris too, just wanting to calm the game down all the time.
The move starts with them, they set the tone. If they take an age the intensity of the move is slow and easy to defend.

Seriously pissed off with the intensity we played the game at. If we had upped the tempo the 3 points were there for us.

West ham are shit at the moment, we gave them confidence by handing the initiative to them. They started so timid, the VAR call and us pissing about at the back gave them the confidence to press and play with more intensity.
Increase the export by 10% and ch as beg the mind set to look to attack and score goals. We win the gane easy. This reminds me of the jose eta where the team sit deep and he’d say he didn’t instruct them to do that. However the whole tone how we are setup and tactical training would be as you see it on the pitch. That is dictated by the head coach.

Even when Dier had the ball in the very last seconds of injury time with no pressure he just literally walked toward the half way line for 5 seconds before passing. GET THE BALL IN THE FUCKING BOX! Frustrating.
I was screaming that all game. He just played as if it was a stroll and no urgency. It was almost arrogant the way he played. Said it in another post he just doodles on the ball for ever then passes it side ways to Dav even if the left side is clear. The ball is then returned to him. Rinse and repeat. Who in their right mind has decided this guy should be our play maker? I would put perisic in that position. Has great control and lovely touch of the ball and can pass with with both feet.

Right on, I suppose you could say we stole a point from Chavs and gave two away here, and on balance we’re only one point to the worse of where we should be.

That would look fine in the papers but to drop two today looking passive an inept makes it unacceptable
Gained a point in the end

Problems - look at that big fat arrow between Sanchez and Dier and then look at those arrows from Dier to Bissouma/Hojbjerg 😃

Fucking so obvious where the problems lie here, Romero Bentancur in and a competent RWB who everyone trust to give the ball to.

100% agree. It must have deliberate. As he dropped soon as 2nd half started. Thus completely diruptiong the start of the 2nd half. He then goes down a few minutes later for his boots. This was premeditated I think to waste time. He then never got subbed even with skipp warming up. Typically Italian dark arts. We didn’t look interested in playing football or scoring a 2nd goal.
If we were playing a team like that everyone would be up in arms. Everyone if their honest with themselves would feel the same. We hate when the oppo waste time or disrupt the game. So we can’t have it both ways!
Exactly! I was shouting a the TV for him to get the F*ck up; it was pathetic, and if the boot was on the other foot(or not), as you said, we'd be just as annoyed. I think Conte might have been reluctant to bring Skipp on in such a high-profile game, as he's been out of the picture for so long.

Exactly! I was shouting a the TV for him to get the F*ck up; it was pathetic, and if the boot was on the other foot(or not), as you said, we'd be just as annoyed. I think Conte might have been reluctant to bring Skipp on in such a high-profile game, as he's been out of the picture for so long.
Spammers being a dirty bunch would’ve tried to get Skippy injured again.

That's an angle I didn't think about; he needs a gentle introduction.
With how Skippy has been really unlucky with his two recent injuries, it was wise to not use him - even if PEH or Bissouma should’ve been subbed at some point in the second half.

I’m hoping he get some minutes in the Fulham and Marseilles matches so he can be an option when we play Citeh though.

Forest had some really dangerous crosses and situations. Yday Antonio hits the post and lloris and to make a few saves in the first half. Then 2 nd half they fluffed 3 or 4 really good situations in our box. Who was the busier keeper?
A couple of crosses and situations isnt creating chances.
A couple of long range comfortable saves for lloris is first half.
Theyre at home playing their cup final. Something is going to happen.

I was screaming that all game. He just played as if it was a stroll and no urgency. It was almost arrogant the way he played. Said it in another post he just doodles on the ball for ever then passes it side ways to Dav even if the left side is clear. The ball is then returned to him. Rinse and repeat. Who in their right mind has decided this guy should be our play maker? I would put perisic in that position. Has great control and lovely touch of the ball and can pass with with both feet.
Put perisic in the centre of a back 3?? Youre high right?

the reason he and most of the others doodle on the ball and pass sideways/back to where it came from "is because they don't have the vision to see a pass" we used to have Eriksen & Kane that could see a pass, now its only Kane, Ivan can put in a good cross, but I think that is more "putting a cross into an area rather than seeing a pass"

What gets me most is the lack of a tactical response or substitutions.

He was either happy with what he was seeing, or unhappy with the players he has in reserve, or the players aren't listening to his instructions.

He was saying that rest will be important with the frequency of the games and that the players can't play every minute. So what is it?

Son, save a solitary assist in the Southampton game hasn't contributed much at all. He has gotten into scoring positions and had chances, so I'm not overly worried as such, but he's playing awfully. Yet Kulusevski is the one to make way against West Ham, our only change?

I don't think Conte needed to complain as he did on BBC last night about the pen not given. We were comfortable in the 1st half scored and winning. It was all about how capitulated in the second half and Lloris was the main cause to concede the equaliser. It could have been worse in the last 5mins.

Lloris was not the main reason. He put the ball out for a throw, so what? There are a million throw ins in every game.

The main reason was Hojbjerg. He is in his own little world talking and gesturing to the referee while the throw is being taken and only notices Soucek’s run when it’s too late. He started that second half in a very flippant way with his will he/won’t he come off, faffing around with his boot, time wasting and winding up the crowd. His focus drifted from the actual game and we paid the price.

the reason he and most of the others doodle on the ball and pass sideways/back to where it came from "is because they don't have the vision to see a pass" we used to have Eriksen & Kane that could see a pass, now its only Kane, Ivan can put in a good cross, but I think that is more "putting a cross into an area rather than seeing a pass"
The Athletic has a big article on the death of the through ball.

Some Americans have crunched the numbers, as they do, and to make it the main attacking threat now you need Messi because he is streets ahead in through balls completed. Most through balls successfully completed in the Premier League is Harry Kane.

The article has some answers to why it has become harder, including that Keepers get off their line much faster nowadays, VAR means forwards have to be more careful about playing on the shoulder of defenders and more teams shield their defence with one or more midfielders who block channels.

The stats say the key to chances (apart from set pieces) is getting the 2 wide players a lot of teams play with into space, so for us that is Kulusevski and Son, as well as cut backs by wide players, so that is Perisic/Sessegnon on the left and a bit of a problem on the right.

Also from that article ...

"An impressive element of Kane’s through-ball game is his ability to use either foot and play it on the move — he runs towards and meets the ball, wrapping the pass in behind without breaking stride."

Apparently the stats say Ivan Toney is good at through balls ... didn't expect that one.

Another thing, last season was a record in "final third regains" so more defenders are coughing up the ball when pressed.

*edit* Sorry about talking about football, my bad.
:mourbye:

I haven't really been near this thread

Is anyone talking about Rice's challenge on PEH?
The pundits seemed to miss entirely how he stuck his knee into PEH to make sure it hurt. They focussed on the boot but not how he clearly used his knee on the inside of Hojbergs

Back
Top Bottom