West Ham United VS Tottenham Hotspur - Wednesday 31th August, London Stadium 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess at some point even the world's best Managers have to give up trying to convince an owner he knows less about football than what they do.

No matter what Conte tells them, the players in all honesty are simply not good enough. Davies, Dier, Sanchez, Emerson, Doherty, Sessegnon, Spence are unfortunately not League winning material. No amount of team talking will change that.

There is a reason why Woolwich is honestly improved by 500%. They bought the right players. We always want to go bargain hunting. Doesn't win you leagues. Much as we see the news saying how happy Conte is, I have a feeling he'll be happier walking away.
Improved 500% 🤔🤔

Agree totally! Look back at the threads from last season how many kept banging on about give conte a preseason with his players. Looks to me as if they don’t nothing on how we play. It’s the sane as last year basically no idea what to do when we have the ball. We got through last more by som and Kane banging them in with useful cameo by kulu. Now that has almost disappeared this season we look clueless. God knows what a conte pre season was supposed to give!
Yes agree the passing is laboured and nobody seems to know when they are doing or supposed to be doing.
I appreciate that this club won't win a league unless we are taken over by money, but since when do we sit off teams like wolves, forest and West ham and hope to find a gap fucking boring.

I guess at some point even the world's best Managers have to give up trying to convince an owner he knows less about football than what they do.

No matter what Conte tells them, the players in all honesty are simply not good enough. Davies, Dier, Sanchez, Emerson, Doherty, Sessegnon, Spence are unfortunately not League winning material. No amount of team talking will change that.

There is a reason why Woolwich is honestly improved by 500%. They bought the right players. We always want to go bargain hunting. Doesn't win you leagues. Much as we see the news saying how happy Conte is, I have a feeling he'll be happier walking away.
I dispute the 500% rating, they've bought well but when you give away your shit for free and suddenly spend large amounts of cash, you are bound to see improvement. They've been second best to us for fucking years, arguably a decade more or less and a few buys and toss opposition isn't going to change anything. Certainly not five games in. The players you mention may not be league winning material, but neither was some of the shit at Chelsea. What makes us not league winning material is actually City. And to a lesser degree, Liverpool. And more than that, mentality.

I dispute the 500% rating, they've bought well but when you give away your shit for free and suddenly spend large amounts of cash, you are bound to see improvement. They've been second best to us for fucking years, arguably a decade more or less and a few buys and toss opposition isn't going to change anything. Certainly not five games in. The players you mention may not be league winning material, but neither was some of the shit at Chelsea. What makes us not league winning material is actually City. And to a lesser degree, Liverpool. And more than that, mentality.
The definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Stands to reason, 'If something is not working, change it'. What has Levy changed other than the managers? We sitting with the same defence that let José down. We always aiming for a punt on young players that will deliver maximum profit. I'm not saying spend like Chelsea. I am saying, the 150 million most got excited about, use it on players the Manager wanted.

It's clear Conte didn't want Spence. It's clear Conte wants and needs experienced Wingsbacks to have his system work. It's clear he needs at least 3 World Class (Romero level) CBs. It's clear there is a huge lack of 1, more creative Mid-fielder. This was clear before the window opened.

Paratici is nothing but a window dressing. The final say comes from the same clown that believes he knows better than every Manager he has hired. Until Levy and Co are gone, we will have this insanity.

The definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Stands to reason, 'If something is not working, change it'. What has Levy changed other than the managers? We sitting with the same defence that let José down. We always aiming for a punt on young players that will deliver maximum profit. I'm not saying spend like Chelsea. I am saying, the 150 million most got excited about, use it on players the Manager wanted.

It's clear Conte didn't want Spence. It's clear Conte wants and needs experienced Wingsbacks to have his system work. It's clear he needs at least 3 World Class (Romero level) CBs. It's clear there is a huge lack of 1, more creative Mid-fielder. This was clear before the window opened.

Paratici is nothing but a window dressing. The final say comes from the same clown that believes he knows better than every Manager he has hired. Until Levy and Co are gone, we will have this insanity.
In respect of your comment of “spend like Chelsea”, it’s interesting to note that their new owner is worth almost exactly the same as our owners. The age old “Russian doping” excuse doesn’t really wash anymore as an excuse for Chelsea’s financial muscle compared to us. They simply once again seem to have an owner that is willing to spend top dollar to get the best players and ultimately to continue to win trophies.

I don't remember Emerson, Perisic and Romero playing for Jose.

The 150m everyone got excited about? That was the club injecting cash upfront to do our business early without relying on unlikely player sales. It also wasn't used on just player sales because you don't just hand over bags of cash, transfers are amortised and paid in instalments. That said:

40m+ went on securing Romero (as I expected it would)
50m+ went on Richarlison
25m went on Bissouma

Agent fees, sign on bonuses and so on will also have been included in that figure.

And, although I am probably being optimistic here, some of that is probably being sidelined for opportunities in January. Yes, we want more World Class players, but they didn't come, seemingly because they didn't want to. Bastoni, Gvardiol, whoever, we seemingly enquired and were knocked back. Even Chelsea couldn't get the latter.

In respect of your comment of “spend like Chelsea”, it’s interesting to note that their new owner is worth almost exactly the same as our owners. The age old “Russian doping” excuse doesn’t really wash anymore as an excuse for Chelsea’s financial muscle compared to us. They simply once again seem to have an owner that is willing to spend top dollar to get the best players and ultimately to continue to win trophies.

Their new ownership is a consortium......

Essentially, their wealth extends significantly beyond Boehly's personal fortune. Rumours have also surfaced of links to Saudi Investment Plan (or whatever the fuck they call themselves as a front for state money).

The difference between a Winner and a Looser is, 'We already Five Games into the season and it appears nothing has changed we seem to be watching Mourinho reruns' and "Fucking relax we're 5 games in".
Fucking hell, we'd better sack Conte then. There was me thinking we were third and unbeaten. Toss football or not. It's been woeful at times but you are choosing to ignore the good football we have played in these matches, Chelsea aside. We aren't parking buses, we spurned huge numbers of shots against the Spammers and Forest. Or does that not suit your narrative?

Fuck me, Perisic could have had as many assists this season as Haaland has goals of there were people on the end of his crosses.

Back
Top Bottom