West Ham United VS Tottenham Hotspur - Wednesday 31th August, London Stadium 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hallo there. I decided to keep it low key and allow all the Levy apologists time to see that our "Great Window" was actually not so 'Great'. I was being slated for suggesting we got Lucky in the Bargain Bin. People truly believed there was 150 million quid to dish out. Surprise, surprise, same old Sh1t, just a different window.

Same high priced tickets, same high priced jerseys, same bullshit José had to face and the same old "Anti-Football" (as some anti Jose folk termed it. I honestly don't see any improvement on where we were with him, other than a few better players. I'm not optimistic at all.

I guess at some point even the world's best Managers have to give up trying to convince an owner he knows less about football than what they do.

No matter what Conte tells them, the players in all honesty are simply not good enough. Davies, Dier, Sanchez, Emerson, Doherty, Sessegnon, Spence are unfortunately not League winning material. No amount of team talking will change that.

There is a reason why Woolwich is honestly improved by 500%. They bought the right players. We always want to go bargain hunting. Doesn't win you leagues. Much as we see the news saying how happy Conte is, I have a feeling he'll be happier walking away.

The definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Stands to reason, 'If something is not working, change it'. What has Levy changed other than the managers? We sitting with the same defence that let José down. We always aiming for a punt on young players that will deliver maximum profit. I'm not saying spend like Chelsea. I am saying, the 150 million most got excited about, use it on players the Manager wanted.

It's clear Conte didn't want Spence. It's clear Conte wants and needs experienced Wingsbacks to have his system work. It's clear he needs at least 3 World Class (Romero level) CBs. It's clear there is a huge lack of 1, more creative Mid-fielder. This was clear before the window opened.

Paratici is nothing but a window dressing. The final say comes from the same clown that believes he knows better than every Manager he has hired. Until Levy and Co are gone, we will have this insanity.

The difference between a Winner and a Looser is, 'We already Five Games into the season and it appears nothing has changed we seem to be watching Mourinho reruns' and "Fucking relax we're 5 games in".

I'm sure this all sounds poignant and well informed to you in your head, but it's nothing more than your usual self-concocted, divorced from reality drivel.

Last edited:
I don't remember Emerson, Perisic and Romero playing for Jose.

The 150m everyone got excited about? That was the club injecting cash upfront to do our business early without relying on unlikely player sales. It also wasn't used on just player sales because you don't just hand over bags of cash, transfers are amortised and paid in instalments. That said:

40m+ went on securing Romero (as I expected it would)
50m+ went on Richarlison
25m went on Bissouma

Agent fees, sign on bonuses and so on will also have been included in that figure.

And, although I am probably being optimistic here, some of that is probably being sidelined for opportunities in January. Yes, we want more World Class players, but they didn't come, seemingly because they didn't want to. Bastoni, Gvardiol, whoever, we seemingly enquired and were knocked back. Even Chelsea couldn't get the latter.
Do you think Emerson was a Good Buy and is worth mentioning?

Romero - last seasons budget.

Be honest. The Biggest reason we don't get players isn't their unavailability, it's Levy always trying to low ball and haggle.

I suppose you also one who supported the purchase of Gil, Ndombele and Sarr. And I suppose you also agree with The club hanging on to the likes of Winks and Ali in hopes they would find form to increase their value. Wake up. We have a mediocre squad and numerous players who we battling to pedal at a half price sale

But hey, it's Great, we have a Great stadium with world class facilities and Players are dying to sign for us.

Fucking hell, we'd better sack Conte then. There was me thinking we were third and unbeaten. Toss football or not. It's been woeful at times but you are choosing to ignore the good football we have played in these matches, Chelsea aside. We aren't parking buses, we spurned huge numbers of shots against the Spammers and Forest. Or does that not suit your narrative?

Fuck me, Perisic could have had as many assists this season as Haaland has goals of there were people on the end of his crosses.
Why is no one at the end of the crosses?

Because the midfielders have to hang back because our defenders just aren't Good enough. Look at the stats and see how much of the time we spend in our own half.

In respect of your comment of “spend like Chelsea”, it’s interesting to note that their new owner is worth almost exactly the same as our owners. The age old “Russian doping” excuse doesn’t really wash anymore as an excuse for Chelsea’s financial muscle compared to us. They simply once again seem to have an owner that is willing to spend top dollar to get the best players and ultimately to continue to win trophies.
I agree with you. I do believe they are somewhat wasteful though. Hence the "Spend like Chelsea remark." For what they dish out, I don't think they've actually achieved enough. But I agree, Levy doesn't give a Crap about Football, he is permanently focused on increasing the Value of his assets.

The definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Stands to reason, 'If something is not working, change it'. What has Levy changed other than the managers? We sitting with the same defence that let José down. We always aiming for a punt on young players that will deliver maximum profit. I'm not saying spend like Chelsea. I am saying, the 150 million most got excited about, use it on players the Manager wanted.

It's clear Conte didn't want Spence. It's clear Conte wants and needs experienced Wingsbacks to have his system work. It's clear he needs at least 3 World Class (Romero level) CBs. It's clear there is a huge lack of 1, more creative Mid-fielder. This was clear before the window opened.

Paratici is nothing but a window dressing. The final say comes from the same clown that believes he knows better than every Manager he has hired. Until Levy and Co are gone, we will have this insanity.
What a load of tosh!
🤣🤣🤣

The difference between a Winner and a Looser is, 'We already Five Games into the season and it appears nothing has changed we seem to be watching Mourinho reruns' and "Fucking relax we're 5 games in".
Right so. Sack conte. We should be a 5 wins out of 5 and i wont over react if we're not.
We're tottenham we have the god given right to win every game 4 nil.
There ye go. Am i a winner like you now?

I agree with you. I do believe they are somewhat wasteful though. Hence the "Spend like Chelsea remark." For what they dish out, I don't think they've actually achieved enough. But I agree, Levy doesn't give a Crap about Football, he is permanently focused on increasing the Value of his assets.
They have been wasteful but no signing is guaranteed success.

Their window has been pretty incredible tbf and is what Conte is talking about when he talks about looking at teams above us and the gap is still absolutely huge.

Even someone like Zakaria on deadline on loan is a super bit of business.

Yes agree the passing is laboured and nobody seems to know when they are doing or supposed to be doing.
I appreciate that this club won't win a league unless we are taken over by money, but since when do we sit off teams like wolves, forest and West ham and hope to find a gap fucking boring.
I agree with you we sit back against almost everyone. Conte justifies that tactic v Chavs by saying they have spent much more than us are miles better (defeatist attitude to me). However what is his justification for the sane tactics v the teams you listed?
Heard a clip on the radio where souness said trans like dippers, manure, spurs so on the fans expect a certain style of football. What I don’t get is this sit back and counter is probably one of the easiest ways to coach. How about coaching the team to pass and move and actually run into space to receive a pass. The fact we have not even bothered looking for a creative midfieldersays it all. I banged on about it earlier in the transfer window that yes we have got some good purchases but we needed a one player who could provide the gold dust or sparkle. Never looked like happening based on the players conte was looking at.

I see you've past Grade 2. Well Done.

You clearly didn’t.

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

You clearly didn’t.

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics
Yip. You got it. That why I'm not quite getting the right answer. The equation just seems to be too difficult to understand

2019-2021 Jose Mourinho Era:

(Dier + Davies+ Sanchez + Doherty + Sessegnon + Alderweireld +Vertonghen ) x Jose = A Football Team with a shit defence

2022 Conte Era

(Dier + Davies+ Sanchez + Doherty + Sessegnon + Emerson +Perišić +Romero) x Conte = A Possible Trophy winning Team.

But the value of

Alderweireld +Vertonghen = Perišić +Romero (Rounder off to the nearest 10)

And Conte and Mourinho play exactly the same football.

One can therefore deduce (according your ideology)

A football teams with a shit defence = A Possible Trophy winning Team.

Catch a wakeup. Not enough has changed from the time of José. We have upgraded slightly in one or two areas. The team overall hasn't changed enough to chase the league title or really battle for a Trophy.

We are driving a VW Bug (Beetle). We have added an electronic dizzy to our Beetle and now expect it to win races against a Porsche. If you want to have that Beetle compete with a Porsche you have to invest quite a bit in every part of the Beetle.

Football Team + Levy = 0 investment in the Football Team

I agree with you we sit back against almost everyone. Conte justifies that tactic v Chavs by saying they have spent much more than us are miles better (defeatist attitude to me). However what is his justification for the sane tactics v the teams you listed?
Heard a clip on the radio where souness said trans like dippers, manure, spurs so on the fans expect a certain style of football. What I don’t get is this sit back and counter is probably one of the easiest ways to coach. How about coaching the team to pass and move and actually run into space to receive a pass. The fact we have not even bothered looking for a creative midfieldersays it all. I banged on about it earlier in the transfer window that yes we have got some good purchases but we needed a one player who could provide the gold dust or sparkle. Never looked like happening based on the players conte was looking at.
We will hit a wall soon you watch and the shit will hit the fan

Back
Top Bottom