Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United. Thursday the 7th of December 2023 at 20:15pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Kane replacement was Johnson, he was Ange's priority signing:

View: https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1697594369543479546

Oh he wanted him alright:

View: https://twitter.com/TheSpursExpress/status/1697628964146053362

Manager said there's no like for like replacement:

View: https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1690010084527550464

Actually you're right we couldn't get another CB in but we did have Sanchez who the manager was happy to let go,

Ederson doesn't play for us :)

The ammunition coming off the bench are currently injured mate or playing out of necessity due to the injury crisis, how are you actually struggling with this?

I think you'll find he was happy with every player we bought in unless you can tell me who the alternatives were?

He's said it on numerous occasions including this:

View: https://twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1692516161391296764

I think the problem is that you don't do enough research on your own club, you sound like a rival fan.

Good points! Ange wanted BJ that was clear. I think many were not so keen especially at the price. I do wonder what type of forward we could have got for that price that would offer more? What we should have done was May get Orban for £20/25M and save the money to have got eze or olisse who are far better players than BJ.

But how many of them shots were either on target or actually warrant being called good attempts? Some powder puff attempts by BJ does not cut the mustard.
They were powder puff attempts I'll give you that, pretty disappointing to see the front 3 all show a lack of want to put their foot through it, Son generally likes to, maybe he is sore, Kulu and Johnson were weak and indecisive, they were head shakingly poor in that game

I pointed it out in the summer that I couldn't understand what Ange saw in him, and I couldn't understand how Ange could see something in him given that his team was such a pure counter attacking side.

Ange couldn't possibly gauge how good Johnson's touch, short passing, combination play, and ability in tight spaces would be given that his former team just doesn't do those things.

It seems we also wanted him as a striker, which too makes no sense given his lack of strength, ability to play on the turn or with back to goal and inconsistent finishing.

Ange only really ever talked about the right character, and desire to learn, which is very important, but that alone can't be the reason you spend £50m.
Bloody 100%! Bj is pure Ange signing. We were never interested in him until say 4 weeks before the window closed. MADDs and VDV were already prioritised well before. £50M pissed on this guy who really does have the skill level of other wide players in the league like foden, Saka, docu, salah , Dias, eze,etc I could go on. Not to mention what we could have purchased from overseas.

Moyes is stuck in a time warp. Hardly anybody plays his sort of football anymore, poss Roy Hodgson, yes they are both British.
He will get various results when the opponent gifts them goals . No doubt they may win the trophy for the 7th best teams in Europe Leagues.
Most teams struggle when confronted with 8 in the pen area. Usually an early goal helps, until you gift them some goals.
Let’s see how they get on away to Fulham.

They were powder puff attempts I'll give you that, pretty disappointing to see the front 3 all show a lack of want to put their foot through it, Son generally likes to, maybe he is sore, Kulu and Johnson were weak and indecisive, they were head shakingly poor in that game
Well there ya go then…

That is essentially the crux of what you're saying though isn't it?

All I've done for you is removed all the bullshit you surrounded it with in your message

If you're going against the manager then you're not backing him which is interesting because if the club don't back the manager the manager gets pissed off and ends up downing tools and getting sacked, wasn't that the case for the previous ones?

Unless you think you're the expert here and everyone should listen to you, I'm not sure if I can trust your word over the manager, no offence...

BTW I just read your last post, Johnson was a data let transfer - it's the same reason why Brentford (who also use the same method) were in for him but they pulled out - The transfer wasn't solely on Ange if that's what you're getting at then you're kinda wrong.
And Brentford play like forest.
What was data - is he strong, can he beat a player without having half the field to run into, does he good passing, control the ball, press, create chances, good crosser, tackles, shooting, stamina, etc? I’d say on most if not all he fails based on we’ve seen so far. His bloody lazy as well.
Happy to be proved wrong but compared to exe type chalk and cheese.

Mate people seemed utterly offended. When I was insisting getting two Centerbacks (Tabsoba and VDV) was not some kind of freaking luxury. All this guff about can't upset VDV or Romero, or people won't want to sign with out guarantees. I think baldies greatest coup has been to thoroughly gaslight the fan base. It was tiresomely obvious that the injuries we have had would happen.
100%. We should have got both used the BJ money for it. I reckon one of the U23s could have stepped up for BJ. However for some reason our managers don’t like to promote from within even though that should be the natural order / progression. How could say donley be any weaker than Johnson?

I guess this is why Ange is saying exactly what Conté said, who said exactly what Jose said.

For the Levy Lovers,

He needs to instill that conviction. I hear him say it’s about being brave and he will take responsibility. Wasn’t his HT team talk v city the same thing. So what happened v spam?

He may still come good, but this transfer still stinks. I just cannot see what motivated the club hierarchy and Ange to want him enough to pay so much for him.

There's no statistical measure he stands out in, except maybe being fast. There's nothing you can point to from watching him play or his highlight reels and say "yeah, the stats are misleading but he's actually really good".

You can see that players like Gil or Richarlison are statistically poor or not pleasing on the eye but you can say "look how agile and tricky he is, if he can get some end product he could be a success", or "yeah he's a bit clunky but look at his work rate, and he's done in the PL for a long time so it's less likely to be a fluke".
This it!
I don’t get the excuses people make like new club only 22 blah blah. Ffs VDV is young so is destiny from new league. Doku is younger new league. This guy has played in England all his career.

This it!
I don’t get the excuses people make like new club only 22 blah blah. Ffs VDV is young so is destiny from new league. Doku is younger new league. This guy has played in England all his career.
He stinks of an overhyped English academy player. Similarities to players like Sancho and Hudson-Odi…. Stand outs in youth football, lack cutting edge in the PL. Good touch and balance but can’t impact a game at the top level

Indeed now he keeps the ball for a minute then passes sideways and repeat.

Our CBs play more line breaking passes now than I can ever remember.

Romero passing direct quickly was one of the things we missed most about him.

Complain about chance creation and not being clinical all you want. It’s fully justified. Complain about gifting goals and bad luck at the back, it’s fully justified.

Just try not to see what you want to see and complain about it.

This it!

It's almost as if football players have different trajectories or something :gallashmm:

It's almost as if football players have different trajectories or something :gallashmm:
Spot on.

All those criticising Johnson were the ones laughing at Newcastle signing Gordon after 6 months of him being there. Now he’s a key part of their team and performing well in big games. Progress isn’t linear.

I haven’t loved Johnson yet myself and have said as much, but people writing him off? It’s like TalkSport in here sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom