Tottenham Hotspur vs Barcelona - UCL 3/10

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pride in being shit? We played against perhaps the best team in the world without 4 key players.

Today you cannot criticise us for being worse than Barça, we gave it a good go and showed some quality and guts. Were you expecting us to dominate this game with Wanyama’s ghost in midfield?

Couldn't agree more:

Suarez: 73.5 Mil
Malcolm: 36 Mil
Lenglet: 32 Mil
Coutinho: 117 Mil
Dembele: 103 Mil
Paulinho: 36 Mil (now sold)

Last Summer: 113 Mil spent
Summer before: 310 Mil spent
Summer before: 112 Mil spent
Summer before: 150 Mil spent

650 odd million spent in four seasons, almost enough to pay for our new stadium.

Think about that at some point during the return leg, when Barcelona score, and not how fucking bad we defended, held the ball up, or passed the ball.

The two sides are not even in the same league, let alone Spurs managing to match them for periods of the game, as said with three key players missing.

Time to get fucking real.

I mean do people not realize this shit?

There are some deluded boneheads (not just in here) expecting us to roll this side over even without our assist master Eriksen and creator and scorer Dele, and rock of a defender Jan.

I sometimes simply lose patience with some of these self entitled fuckwits.

For all the negativity on here, something happened at thw weekend I never thought I'd see.

Barcelona - needing a win to ensure they stayed top of La Liga - rested star players, including Messi, to make sure they were fresh for a tough Champions League game against Tottenham Hotspur.

Just imagine saying that sentence ten, even five years ago. You'd be laughed out of town. For those like me who sadly weren't around for the Glory Glory days the position we're in is far beyond where I ever expected us to be.

And if we play as we can? The game is winnable. COYS.

I dont understand why a cunt-off is going on?

They're better than us, we had half a team, we got schooled for the first half in midfield - a cockup and a worldy leaves us two down yet we put in one of the best second halves we have done this season against a team that has a 124M sub on the bench.

Personally im proud of the boys, and fuck all the rest

Lloris, Gazanigga
Alderviereld Sanchez, Dier
Trippier, Rose Davies, Walker-Peters
Wanyama, Winks, Sissoko, Skipp
Lamela, Moura, Son
Kane, Llorente

Strong line up there. I see you’ve packed defence. And midfield. I like the 2 keepers idea too. Try scoring now Leo you little twat.

Just enjoying a diet cola in The Lioness Bar as Wembley Way is rammed!
Went through every emotion under the sun during that game. Eric Lamela was IMMENSE, there may have been three blades of grass he didn't cover tonight. Not only was he our most hardworking player, he was probably our most creative too. Hope it was only cramp that made me leave the field.
With regards to the game, we were on the back foot from the off and we looked scared to play. Once we shook that off, I wouldn't say we matched them but we gave them a game.
It was a big ask to take them on with four key players missing, but it is what it is and although the result was disappointing, I was OK with the performance on the whole.
Officials were pretty rubbish and we may regret all the bookings.
I very rarely care about the opposition but you have to give it to Messi, the guy is a genius with a football and it was a privilege to watch him in the flesh. He makes it look so easy.

The ref was, even with my biased eyes, absolutely dreadful.

Absolutely no shame in losing to Barcelona.

I'm proud of that second half performance to be honest and we so easily could have made it 3-3 at some stage. Game died when Lamela went off though, it always tends to.

Just enjoying a diet cola in The Lioness Bar as Wembley Way is rammed!
Went through every emotion under the sun during that game. Eric Lamela was IMMENSE, there may have been three blades of grass he didn't cover tonight. Not only was he our most hardworking player, he was probably our most creative too. Hope it was only cramp that made me leave the field.
With regards to the game, we were on the back foot from the off and we looked scared to play. Once we shook that off, I wouldn't say we matched them but we gave them a game.
It was a big ask to take them on with four key players missing, but it is what it is and although the result was disappointing, I was OK with the performance on the whole.
Officials were pretty rubbish and we may regret all the bookings.
I very rarely care about the opposition but you have to give it to Messi, the guy is a genius with a football and it was a privilege to watch him in the flesh. He makes it look so easy.

On the train on the on the way back.
First half we were not at the races. Second half we gave it a go but to no avail.

Upsides.
1. I have seen the world's best player score in the CL.
2. I also saw Lionel Messi.
3. Crowd gave the team great support especially given we conceded in 90 seconds.

The forum, in general, was a joke tonight. It doesn’t even annoy me anymore. It’s the same every time we lose a game regardless of the circumstances.

Its fucking frightening now, genuinely

EDIT: More so than anything else, the fanbase is turning into Woolwich's and they had the case of a genuine fall from grace, 2 doubles, other trophies, we have had nothing like that and people are expecting all of it

If Sissoko is fit, don't mind to see him in the midfield. He always seems to raise his game against the best teams.
Need Sissoko clatter Messi for a repeat of this.

riqfluo8msnz.jpg

Sissoko is an incredibly limited player but in the games against Madrid last season his mobile and athletic presence was useful. He kept it simple and helped us a fair bit. Obviously if better players are available then he shouldn’t be involved but in the worst case scenario where Dele, Eriksen and Dembele are all missing then we may need him.

Agreed. His pure physical presence will be useful in a game like the one we can expect. He's big, strong and fast. If he is fit and better options aren't available he should be used.

Worst case scenario just put him on the field, point him at Messi and tell him to run straight into him for 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Despite Barcelona being in a bit of a rough patch at the moment, they still chose to 'rest' Messi and Busquets at the weekend.

FC Barcelona resting some of the best players in the world so they are fresh to play little old Tottenham. Oh how we've progressed!

COYS!

Rather get smashed by Barca in the CL then play an easy Europa game somewhere.

These games are to enjoy period

Think we can get a point, just want us to be brave. I don't expect us to press hard but when we do counter let's do it with numbers and intent.

Latest from a Barca forum:

"I dont know what to expect, but deep inside me i want messi to bottle it, we lose by two goals margin in a ugly game for us, get exposed, and start fresh with valverde sacked. I think i would start to cry if messi yet again saves a day, dont want that at all. I want others to start doing their efin job and grow some balls"

:pochshock2:

and I thought some of us were bad.

Back
Top Bottom