The Injury Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why did the PL not just delay the start of their season by 2-4 weeks, as after each Euro's and WC there are blank summers anyway?
Probably 'cos there's a chance WE MAY have benefited from it...

And the F.A can't have that, can they?
:kanehand::deledoubt::vertna::sonhmm::llorisunsure::eriksenserious::dierno:

During their tenures:

Rose has missed 78 games.
Been a starter at the club since 2013/14.. Misses 13 games a season.

Kane has missed 44 games.
Been a starter at the club since 2014/15. Misses 9 games a season.

Vertonghen has missed 53 games.
Been a starter at the club since 2012/13. Misses 8 games a season.

Alderweireld has missed 38 games.
Been a starter at the club since 2015/16. Misses 10 games a season.

Aurier has missed 22 games.
Signed in 2017/18. Misses 11 games a season.

Winks has missed 33 games.
Been around the squad since 2016/17. Misses 11 games a season.

Wanyama has missed 47 games.
Signed in 2016/17. Misses 16 games per season.

No idea if any of that is actually normal or basic but it's the averages based on how long they've been at the club or been starters for the club and how many games they have missed due to injury.

Winks' is very worrying. Considering he wasn't even a proper starter in 16/17 and only started about 12 games all season with 9 of those coming in cup competitions.

Alderweireld has officially missed an entire season of games within the 4 years he's been here too.

Compare that to some of our least injury worry players since they've signed:

Eriksen has missed 15 games.
Been a starter since 2013/14. Misses 3 games a season.

Dele has missed 23 games.
Been a starter since 2015/16. Misses 5 games a season.

Dier has missed 24 games.
Been a starter since 2014/15. Misses 5 games a season.

Son Heung-Min has missed 7 games.
Been a starter since 2015/16. Misses 2 games a season.

22 games and counting for Aurier now.

Lamela has surpassed another 20 games missed. That's 4 seasons out of the 6 he's been with us that he's surpassed the 20 + games missed mark. It just hasn't turned out how we'd all hoped. He's quickly approaching 120 games out injured for us, what a shame.
Amazing. Shame? The shame is we gave him another contract.

As for Aurier. Not wirked. Move him on.

120?

I have it down at less games than that.

Hopefully he's at least back as a sub option for the second leg and hopefully we have Aurier back too. We could do with the numbers.

I think it's roughly 115 games so if he doesn't make another appearance this season it'll be pushing the 119/120 mark. Either way 4 seasons where he's missed 20+ games does more harm to the team than good. Sad for him but with limited nonHG places his position really is down the pecking order based on what the club needs moving forward. Big shame but that's how it goes.

I think it's roughly 115 games so if he doesn't make another appearance this season it'll be pushing the 119/120 mark. Either way 4 seasons where he's missed 20+ games does more harm to the team than good. Sad for him but with limited nonHG places his position really is down the pecking order based on what the club needs moving forward. Big shame but that's how it goes.

Yep.

Going by the table above we should be looking at replacing both Lamela and Wanyama in our squad due to their injury problems and how many games they miss a season. Seem to be the most dispensable too when it comes to getting rid of non-HG talent.

Further update on Jan Vertonghen. Fine but might miss Bournemouth ?

Jan Vertonghen has been ruled out of Sunday’s Premier League finale against Everton, while Victor Wanyama and Danny Rose are being assessed.
Belgian international defender Jan sustained an ankle injury in the midweek Champions League match against Ajax and, with evaluation ongoing, in unavailable to face the Toffees at our new stadium.
Midfielder Victor picked up a thigh injury in the same match in Amsterdam and is being assessed along with left-back Danny (hamstring).
Juan Foyth and Heung-Min Son will both miss the Everton game as they serve the first of their respective three-match bans following their red cards at Bournemouth last weekend.
Striker Harry Kane (ankle) and midfielder Harry Winks (groin) have begun on-field rehabilitation while defender Davinson Sanchez (thigh) is continuing rehab.

So 4 to 6 players out against Everton due to injury whilst 2 miss the game following red cars.

Looks like Aurier is back.

I stuck this in a spoiler so you can check it out for yourselves but I couldn't sleep and checked out our end of season injury record-

55% of our first team squad (Kane, Lamela, Dele, Winks, Wanyama, Dier, Aurier, Trippier, Foyth, Vertonghen & Sanchez) basically missed an average of 19 games each this season, which works out to roughly 32% of the whole campaign (based on our 58 game season)

18 players in total missed 5 games or more
13 players missed 10 games or more
9 players missed 15 games or more
6 players missed 20 games or more
2 players missed 25 games or more

Insane numbers!

More in the spoiler if you want to read it. (Edit I've just seen my spoiler info doesn't load) I won't load the tedious details but basically 55% of our first team squad, important players missed 19 games this season based on averages.

A total of 276 individual games missed collectively. Guts ripped out constantly throughout & continuous disruptions to our starting XI. A little under 25% of the season lost per player throughout the whole first team squad once added up and divided by the amount of games played. And a third of the season lost for 55% of our boys. What a season it ended up being

Last edited:
I stuck this in a spoiler so you can check it out for yourselves but I couldn't sleep and checked out our end of season injury record-

55% of our first team squad (Kane, Lamela, Dele, Winks, Wanyama, Dier, Aurier, Trippier, Foyth, Vertonghen & Sanchez) basically missed an average of 19 games each this season, which works out to roughly 32% of the whole campaign (based on our 58 game season)

18 players in total missed 5 games or more
13 players missed 10 games or more
9 players missed 15 games or more
6 players missed 20 games or more
2 players missed 25 games or more

Insane numbers!

More in the spoiler if you want to read it. (Edit I've just seen my spoiler info doesn't load) I won't load the tedious details but basically 55% of our first team squad, important players missed 19 games this season based on averages.

A total of 276 individual games missed collectively. Guts ripped out constantly throughout & continuous disruptions to our starting XI. A little under 25% of the season lost per player throughout the whole first team squad once added up and divided by the amount of games played. And a third of the season lost for 55% of our boys. What a season it ended up being

You might to want to add Daniel Levy to the list - hurt his right arm badly so cannot sign any cheques at the moment. :wall: :wall: :rolleyes:

No timeframe for being cured. Just hope its shortly !

Thought I had seen the last of this thread - but sadly it seems to be needed at the start of this season.

Aurier
Foyth
Davies
Dier
Wnyama
Dele
Roles

Expecting more of a update on Thursday with the team news.

Must admit I had hoped to see both Davies and ZDier back in preseason

No matter what the size of squad, having half a dozen out makes it seem a little small.

A few more injuries than we would have wished to start the season with.

A total of 7 players unavailable through injury - Sessegnon, Foyth, Davies, Dier, Aurier, Wanyama, Dele plus Son ( suspended) makes 8 unavailable

Last edited:

Much better position with only 4 players out, including Son who will serve his last match suspension v ManCity so available next week come what may.

Leaves Foyth, Dele and Sessegnon as actual injured/recovering. Possibly won't see them this month on the field ?

Only other uncertainty is whether Lo Celso is fit enough - only been training for 3 or 4 weeks post Cooa America - and I suspect we won't see him much if at all until start of September

Good news is obviously Dele back in training and Son back from suspension - and it sounds like Foyth and Sessegnon cannot be too far behind ?.

Bad news is definitely Ndombele being out - over trained it seems. Poch's training is notoriously intense so newer players need to be eased in that little bit more.

Think Ndombele has already expressed surprise at Poch training and might be fitter than he's ever been, but that's no good if he picks up minor injuries which have a horrible habit of recurring

Back
Top Bottom