The Injury Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

50724703_1184522891710836_1811904315426603008_n.jpg

3rd highest injuries to have to contend with over the season & the only one of those 3 putting up much of a fight with their targets for the season. Yet another thing seemingly against us that we've had to deal with. Over 5 injuries per game so far with a squad our size I see a fair old slab, I'm trying to recall a game where we've been able to play our strongest XI all from the start

Edit: I'd probably say our strongest first XI if everyone was fit is Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Winks, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane. I don't know if we've ever actually been able to field this starting XI which would be mental if true. Any bods know if this teams every stepped foot onto a pitch with one another?

Although that graphic shows Spam and Woolwich top, does it take into account first team players only and the quality of those players.

If we had (for example) KWP, Llorente, Vorm, Skipp, Foyth injured, then that would not of been as bad as the injuries we have had. Kane, Dele, Dier, Wanyama, Dembele etc. and Son away at the Asian Cup.

Also if you have 1 or 2 injuries at a time that is not as bad as having 5 or 6 FIRST team players injured at the SAME time.

Found this interesting, big losses to consider before writing us off for the future:

12 players didnt have a full preseason (Lloris, Trippier, Rose, Dier, Dele, Kane, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen, Sanchez, Son)

9 players had 5 days of being with the squad before our opening game on 11th August (Lloris, Trippier, Rose, Dier, Dele, Kane, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele). Never has a Premier League team had more players unavailable this late into preseason

Son has missed 6 games through international duty for South Korea stretched across 2 different tournaments, that number could easily have been 8-10

Lloris 1 injury - 6 games missed through injury
Vorm- 1 injury - 6 games missed the same time as Hugo was out

Trippier - 1 injury - 4 games missed
Aurier - 2 injuries - 10 games missed
Vertonghen - 2 injuries - 18 games missed
Sanchez - 1 injury - 10 games missed
Foyth - 1 injury - 10 games missed

Dier - 3 injuries - 15 games missed
Sissoko - 2 injuries - 6 games missed
Wanyama - 2 injuries - 22 games missed
Dembele - 2 injuries - 20 games missed before selling
Eriksen - 1 injury - 4 games missed
Dele - 3 injuries - 16 games missed
Son - 2 international cup tournaments/ intl duty - 6 games missed
Lamela - 2 injuries - 10 games missed
Lucas - 1 injury - 3 games missed
Kane - 1 injury - 7 games missed

Chose to put this in the injury thread, even though it could easily have gone in the Title thread to show that we really have had a raw deal when it comes to crucial injuries for long durations. 9 players have missed 10+ games this season, 3 of our CBs fall into that category as do both of our DMs (no wonder we've looked shaky in defense)

Dele has missed half a season (as has Vertonghen, Dier, Wanyama & Dembele before he got sold) & Son had the freak occasion where he's had to represent his country in 3 separate International tournaments in the same calendar year.

I've also just gone through the lineups all season. We've only been able to start a front four of Eriksen, Dele, Son & Kane 6 times this season. 6 games the whole campaign so far where we've been at full strength up top from the off

Only Alderweireld & Winks ever present from a starting XI team. What a brutal season for our lot on the injury/ unavailable to play front

Last edited:
Thanks for replying earlier. The reason I was asking the question in the first place was because I had read the article I've since posted the link to, and the old alarm bells began flashing.

I think we have become very cagey when it comes to providing injury updates. I've been on the official site recently before games and basically not been able to find anything out.

Lamela is a useful player, but I just cannot take any more of this.

Modern day Anderton.

Modern day Anderton.

Sadly with his stop start time with us I think Pochettino needs to make a decision on keeping either Lamela or Lucas Moura. Lamela's injuries over the festive period has seen us not rotate anywhere near what we should have. I like Lamela but if it's him or a promising player coming in his place based on squad numbers etc I'd rather see us go for someone else and wish him well back to somewhere like Italy etc.

Winks with yet another surgery required. It's so rough having the amount of players we've had out this season:

Lloris - 8 games injured
Vorm - 6 games injured
Gazzaniga - injury free season
Sanchez - 10 games injured
Alderweireld - injury free season
Vertonghen - 20 games injured
Foyth - 8 games injured
Rose - 8 games injured
Davies - 5 games injured
Trippier - 5 games injured
Aurier - 20 games injured & counting
Walker-Peters - injury free season
Dier - 22 games injured
Wanyama - 25 games injured
Winks - 10 games injured & counting
Sissoko - 10 games injured & counting
Dele - 20 games injured
Eriksen - 4 games injured
Son - 6 international games out
Lucas - 4 games injured
Lamela - 18 games injured & counting
Kane - 13 games injured & counting
Janssen - 30 games injured
Llorente - injured free season

All in all our 24 men listed above have missed a total of 252 games between them. An average of 10.5 games missed per head with this number probably going up to around the 11-12 games missed on average by the time our season comes to an end.

We have actually averaged 10.5 games per player missed this season. 252 times we haven't been able to rely on a clean bill of health. Unbelievable really & it goes to show how well we've done when tossers see 12 league losses and get the arse about it. No matter what happened during the World Cup etc nobody can expect that kindness of return for a squad of 24.

Edit: we also had Dembele out for 20 games before selling him so the total games injured between a squad of 25 is 272, which brings the average games missed per player up to closer to 11. Shocking

Last edited:
Fuck me this Lo Celso injury has come at the worst time. Can’t wait to have him back and fully integrated so we can finally fuck Eriksen off to the reserves.

From PL TV Reporter

Sounds like Lloris not coming back until February, but in training ?

Ndombele ready for Norwich, or if not surely match after

And Davies cannot be too far behind

Brilliant news, I imagine Ndombele will not be risked against norwich from the start though. We Really have to manager him and make sure he come back from this injury properly.

Even if it means he only plays 20 minutes then 45, then 70 over the next few games, and dont play him twice a week until he has been fit for a fell 2 months.

Really hope this guy can stay fit he is a world beater.

Right lads, I pulled my hamstring in an eleven aside match two weeks ago. First time I've done it. Fucken agony.

Anyway, I went back to training last night. Everything was fine. Tonight I played a game of fives. About half an hour in I played a one two, and with clear sight of goal I opened up on my left for a Stoichkovesque ripper. I connected and bang, the fucken hammy goes big time.

Any physio cunts out there with good advice? I'm flying to Antwerp tomorrow and I'm hobbling about like I've a broken arse.

Deep fry your hamstring!

Back
Top Bottom