The Injury Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ben Pearce‏ @BenPearceSpurs 9m9 minutes ago
#thfc Serge Aurier and Mousa Dembele are now in the final stages of their recovery (Dembele would certainly be useful if he can play over Christmas, given other midfield injuries). Dier's now out of hospital after appendicitis and Vertonghen has started training outdoors.

A much more optimistic report than we could have hoped for, assuming we see Foyth and Sanchez back at the weekend, maybe one starting and one on the bench.

Ben Pearce‏ @BenPearceSpurs
thfc At the training ground for Pochettino's press conference. Lucas Moura, Moussa Sissoko and Victor Wanyama are all back in training. Doesn't necessarily mean they're all ready to play tomorrow, but Kane, Alli and Son are the only definite absentees for now.

Cautious optimism !

Although that graphic shows Spam and Woolwich top, does it take into account first team players only and the quality of those players.

If we had (for example) KWP, Llorente, Vorm, Skipp, Foyth injured, then that would not of been as bad as the injuries we have had. Kane, Dele, Dier, Wanyama, Dembele etc. and Son away at the Asian Cup.

Also if you have 1 or 2 injuries at a time that is not as bad as having 5 or 6 FIRST team players injured at the SAME time.

I think Woolwich figures are probably skewed by long term injuries to the likes of Welbeck, Holding and Bellerin et al, and whilst I'm not over familiar with their team I think most of them are back up players rather than automatic starters - Ramsey is often injured but not sure if he is regarded by Emery as a starter or not, but he's probably the only first team starter if Emery thinks so.

Wilshere would be in Woolwich's figures but is now probably in Wham's

We seem to have had 4-5 and more players out for the last 2-3 months. As one returns another goes off. 10 days off after wed by which time poss all back except Alli.
How would Liverpool cope with Mane and Salah out for two months at the same time.

I stuck this in a spoiler so you can check it out for yourselves but I couldn't sleep and checked out our end of season injury record-

55% of our first team squad (Kane, Lamela, Dele, Winks, Wanyama, Dier, Aurier, Trippier, Foyth, Vertonghen & Sanchez) basically missed an average of 19 games each this season, which works out to roughly 32% of the whole campaign (based on our 58 game season)

18 players in total missed 5 games or more
13 players missed 10 games or more
9 players missed 15 games or more
6 players missed 20 games or more
2 players missed 25 games or more

Insane numbers!

More in the spoiler if you want to read it. (Edit I've just seen my spoiler info doesn't load) I won't load the tedious details but basically 55% of our first team squad, important players missed 19 games this season based on averages.

A total of 276 individual games missed collectively. Guts ripped out constantly throughout & continuous disruptions to our starting XI. A little under 25% of the season lost per player throughout the whole first team squad once added up and divided by the amount of games played. And a third of the season lost for 55% of our boys. What a season it ended up being

Last edited:
So many injuries this season, quite possibly related to the World Cup and limited/no pre-season, that its easy to lose track of which players are injured and when they might become available.

I've taken dates from English Premier League Injury Table who say they base the date on average recovery times, unless specific information is available

Luke Amos - Out for season
Victor Janssen (Foot) - No return date
Jan Vertonghen (hamstring) - 15 December
Danny Rose (groin) - 24 November
Moussa Dembele (ankle) 13 January 2019
Davinson Sanchez (hamstring ) - ??? a few weeks ??
Eric Lamela (cut head in Palace match ) - after international break ?
Kieran Trippier (knock in Palace match)

Just Returned :
Victor Wanyama
Eric Dier

I have to say our injury list is absurd....are we warming up properly? It’s not normal
What is worrying is the regularity with which injuries that our doctors/physios diagnose as simple and short term end up being long term instead.

Lamela, diagnosed with a minor hip problem, ends up out for over a year.
Wanyama's slight knee problem that ends up going chronic is another example.

Right lads, I pulled my hamstring in an eleven aside match two weeks ago. First time I've done it. Fucken agony.

Anyway, I went back to training last night. Everything was fine. Tonight I played a game of fives. About half an hour in I played a one two, and with clear sight of goal I opened up on my left for a Stoichkovesque ripper. I connected and bang, the fucken hammy goes big time.

Any physio cunts out there with good advice? I'm flying to Antwerp tomorrow and I'm hobbling about like I've a broken arse.

Don't be a dumb cunt and run two weeks after pulling your hamstring.

Fuck sake man, how was I to know? I felt ok. And I could hardly resist putting the fucken hammer right through the baw when I could see the whites o the keeper's eyes. I'm gutted mate. Gutted.

How long do I need to wait before I take to the stage again?
Give it 6 weeks before you run but use this time to strengthen your arse, lower back & quads, this will protect and prevent it from happening again.

Or do what I do and ignore what you're supposed to do and start jogging about a bit after a couple of weeks, do not work on the bigger muscle groups and whatever you do do not warm up or do a cooldown.

Poch did say before the Leicester game that Foyth would miss Leicester and Barcelona but sure he was going to be ready for Burnley.

But all of the others are definitely out - it's whether we bring Foyth in for Burnley or for the Woolwich game.

Thanks.

If Foyth is fit for Burnley, I'd be tempted to play him in that and give either Alderweireld or Vertonghen a rest before we play Woolwich when I'd like to revert to an Alderweireld/Vertonghen CB partnership.

TEAM NEWS:

@Serge_aurier (groin) & @mousadembele (ankle) have commenced on-field rehabilitation.

@daosanchez26 (hamstring) & @JuanMFoyth (hamstring) have entered late stages of conditioning work.#COYS

@trippier2 (groin) is continuing an individual preventative and conditioning programme.

@VictorWanyama (knee) continues his rehabilitation.

Looks like Foyth will not be back for the Burnley match which is a shame.

But it does look like Sanchez will be back earlier than thought (originally pencilled in for January) and both he and Foyth will be back in a few days or a week,

Likewise Aurier and Dembele seem to be making good progress and return this side of Christmas.

Trippier and Wanyama seem to be furthest away from a return from the language used

From Poch's press conference :

Alasdair Gold‏Verified account @AlasdairGold
Poch: "I am more motivated to play against Burnley than the previous games because to reduce the distance between Liverpool and City. To be up there is a massive motivation and I hope we all feel the same." He also said Trippier, Aurier, Sanchez and Foyth could play Saturday.

I suspect that Poch is being very gungho about the return of 4 players v Woolwich on Saturday, but I take it as a good sign and that all 4 could be back within 10 days/2 weeks with a couple of them back for Saturday.

Good news we could do with a few more in the squad given the schedule of games coming up !

Last edited:
Dier update | Tottenham Hotspur
Eric Dier has undergone surgery to remove his appendix.

The England international midfielder was diagnosed with appendicitis after contacting our medical staff due to acute Abdominal pain. He received immediate treatment to assess and then remove the appendix.

He will now undergo a period of recovery before commencing rehabilitation and it is expected he will return to training with the squad in January.

Along with our Medical staff, we wish to thank the NHS for their excellent treatment of Eric.

Looks like Oliver Skipp is going to get more playing time in December, as our established CM alternatives are only Winks and Sissoko with maybe Dele and/or Eriksen dropping back. We also have a few other decent youngsters who could play a role off the bench, or even more, such as Jamie Bowden (played in pre-season 2018) or Tashan Oakley-Boothe (played in pre-season 2017) !

Dier update | Tottenham Hotspur
Eric Dier has undergone surgery to remove his appendix.

The England international midfielder was diagnosed with appendicitis after contacting our medical staff due to acute Abdominal pain. He received immediate treatment to assess and then remove the appendix.

He will now undergo a period of recovery before commencing rehabilitation and it is expected he will return to training with the squad in January.

Along with our Medical staff, we wish to thank the NHS for their excellent treatment of Eric.

Looks like Oliver Skipp is going to get more playing time in December, as our established CM alternatives are only Winks and Sissoko with maybe Dele and/or Eriksen dropping back. We also have a few other decent youngsters who could play a role off the bench, or even more, such as Jamie Bowden (played in pre-season 2018) or Tashan Oakley-Boothe (played in pre-season 2017) !

Thank the NHS????

...Fuck me; all that dosh and no-one else can foot the bill?????

Thanks for posting. But does nothing to allay my fears (based upon recent injury record)
Thanks for replying earlier. The reason I was asking the question in the first place was because I had read the article I've since posted the link to, and the old alarm bells began flashing.

I think we have become very cagey when it comes to providing injury updates. I've been on the official site recently before games and basically not been able to find anything out.

Lamela is a useful player, but I just cannot take any more of this.

Back
Top Bottom