Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's to blame for the form of our midfield players? yes moura is better at running with the ball than Kane and he was more effective when he went out to the left in the second half, but he was also non existent in the first half when he was through the middle with Kane, actually baffling to not acknowledge our midfield was complete dogshit today.

They were poor, except for about 30 minutes in the first half where we looked pretty comfortable, despite really sloppy passing at times.
However, the central midfield being shit, and Moura being "non existent" second half is down to the central midfield and Moura.

And Kane being shit is down to Kane. As I said before, your best players need to raise the level of the lesser performers not the other way around.

Its like people think Dier is crap, but think its down to him to get the best out of Kane. Bit like saying the likes of Ben Davies should be driving Jan and Toby on.

Not from me John. I was disappointed we didn’t sign someone good enough, I just didn’t go on about it for 3 months. You’ll need better bait.

You wont see him criticise Poch though. He wants Kane dropped, but wont berate the manager for not playing Son or Moura instead of Kane.

Until the manager has exhausted all our options to no avail, then the signings argument is still nonsense

I think the lack of spending was stadium related, but that doesn’t explain the attitude of the players we have. Something is going on behind the scenes - I wish I knew what.
I think your bang on mate, but I also think that is negligent ownership imo..They have been apparently planning this stadium for ever and a day but forgot to plan investing in the team...i wish I trusted Mr levy but I just cannot trust anything he says..i think we will always be stuck as nearly there as long as he is in charge...

Which is why I find it baffling that Kanes form is blamed on the "supply" by some. Moura did fine with the same players around him, because he runs.

Poch is half the problem though

Hard to say Poch is the issue considering how he has massively improved our players since coming here and taken us up a level. I get his tactics today he probably got wrong and maybe Kane needs a rest but we are lucky to have a manager like him.

Simply repacing Poch with an arguably better tactical manager won’t on its own solve the issues we have. If the club want to compete we can’t have obvious weaknesses like our midfield.

Looking at our squad only system I think around that suits our strengths and weakness right now would be a Klopp style hard press which keeps the defence, midfield and attack close to each other.

[formation=433, Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Verts, Davies, Eriksen, Dembele, Winks/Dele, Lucas, Son/Kane, Lamela ][/formation]

Hard to say Poch is the issue considering how he has massively improved our players since coming here and taken us up a level. I get his tactics today he probably got wrong and maybe Kane needs a rest but we are lucky to have a manager like him.

Simply repacing Poch with an arguably better tactical manager won’t on its own solve the issues we have. If the club want to compete we can’t have obvious weaknesses like our midfield.

Looking at our squad only system I think around that suits our strengths and weakness right now would be a Klopp style hard press which keeps the defence, midfield and attack close to each other.

[formation=433, Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Verts, Davies, Eriksen, Dembele, Winks/Dele, Lucas, Son/Kane, Lamela ][/formation]
I agree with you on the pressing game, thought it was supposed to our style anyway? When we play well its when we do this consistently. Hunting in packs, forcing the mistake. We have done it so well in the past. I don't understand why we aren't using it so much. Only Moura was chasing down today as far as i could see. Without support it's wasted.

Poch is half the problem because he picks weakened teams with his favourites given a gd given right to 90 minutes no matter how shit they perform.

Doesnt mean he needs replacing with a more tactical manager at all. As you say, tactically its not bad.

Its not using the personel available, and not getting the full benefits of the squad.

Ive been saying this for three years now, its a fucking joke.

Keane confirmed on Sky that he was speaking with Levy before the season started and we got priced out of signing 4 players.

Grealish was one:levylol:

priced out of signing Grealish. Yes it's come to that

Thanks to Levy we are a tremendously well run club. However we are very conservative when it comes to spending money on players. We have the resources to spend more on transfer fees and wages but we don't want to. :levyeyes:

I think it’s becoming clear that Levy has moulded us into a wonderful asset to be sold. I’m not convinced his heart is in pushing for a title challenge. That’s not a criticism but our current inertia suggests he’s ready to put us in the shop window.

I think it’s becoming clear that Levy has moulded us into a wonderful asset to be sold. I’m not convinced his heart is in pushing for a title challenge. That’s not a criticism but our current inertia suggests he’s ready to put us in the shop window.

How does that make Kane and Eriksen play shit?

Thing is if Poch goes half are team are leaving with him.
Very likely they'll want to, but with the contracts we have in place it won't be that easy. Also, if he leaves due to being sacked after poor performances, perhaps his popularity would have waned a bit by then.

You're right though. Lloris is quoted as saying he's only here because of Poch, for example.

I think this.

Pochettino is learning about his players. The players who he has put his trust in over the last however many years.

The good thing with Pochettino is that you know he will be hurting. Lets see how good a manager he really is now.

Our biggest issues are Kane and Eriksen and it will be very interesting to see how he handles their lack of form and impact.

We have the capacity to change it a little and I think that will happen.

I never thought our squad was good enough without reinforcements. Nothing I have seen, 45 mins at Old Trafford apart have changed that opinion.

Last edited:
Honestly don't think sammyspurs sammyspurs has ever played a game of football himself. Reading his posts you'd think that the performance of your teammates doesn't affect your own

I disageee somewhat.

Kane is our talisman but is not playing well enough to justify his place in my opinion.

His level ain't helping his team mates. He is entitled to a loss of form but his manager is also entitled to drop him accordingly.

I disageee somewhat.

Kane is our talisman but is not playing well enough to justify his place in my opinion.

His level ain't helping his team mates. He is entitled to a loss of form but his manager is also entitled to drop him accordingly.

The thing is, players - especially strikers - need to play their way into form. Not sure what the answer is. Other than skipping the next international break...

I disageee somewhat.

True, Kane hasn't been good, but it's unfair to place so much blame on him. Also he's earned a bit of slack imo, because of the level of performance he has put in over the past years

Back
Top Bottom