Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I also fear we might have to sell someone in our starting 11 if the rumblings about attitude problems that Pochettino has made is true.

We need to strengthen the bench yes. But the starting 11 should not be free from prosecution if it is true that there are issues that need to be addressed

I also fear we might have to sell someone in our starting 11 if the rumblings about attitude problems that Pochettino has made is true.

We need to strengthen the bench yes. But the starting 11 should not be free from prosecution if it is true that there are issues that need to be addressed

Can't help but feel the team needs a bit of a freshen up.

I mean look at everyones preferred eleven. The ONLY difference in the team from what I can really tell is the competition between Lucas and Son and that is only because Lucas' start to this season.

That doesn't necessarily mean we need to sign anyone but people need to fucking step up. Is Aurier really content with being second choice in these big games? What's Lamela working hard for?

But the starting 11 should not be free from prosecution if it is true that there are issues that need to be addressed

The biggest problem is the undroppables....Dele, Eriksen and Kane have become complacent. That is supposed to be about 400M of talent.

Their status has become a problem, because far from competition for them, we need to rotate. Poch has started to exhibit the same old problems, right from the off. We have Moura, Son and Lamela. They all created more than Kane and Eriksen today, and two of them only saw about 20 minutes.

Yet when Kane and Eriksen are shit, its Diers fault?

People dont like it when you slate the untouchables...start talking about agendas, when the simple fact is that some are just happy to say it how it is. Play well or play shit, just call a spade a spade.
No one really cares if you say Dier or Dembele or Rose were shit. They dont listen, its ok to say that, so when you pick out Eriksen they see it as an attack.

This ridiculous status thing we have going on needs to stop. It starts with Poch, and goes all the way down to the fans. One rule for Kane, one for Llorente and Janssen.

We have 4 spots up top or 3 depending on formation:
Kane
Llorente
Moura
Dele
Eriksen
Lamela
Son

Yet three are an absolute given in the team, no matter how poor they might be playing.

You can bang on about new recruits all you want, but our biggest problems, like last season are when the attack turns to shit.
New central midfielders will not inject Red Bull into Kanes veins, nor will they send Eriksen down the gym or help him take a set piece.

Pine for Martial all you want, he'll just be one more of the other FOUR attackers we have fighting it out.

Can't help but feel the team needs a bit of a freshen up.

I mean look at everyones preferred eleven. The ONLY difference in the team from what I can really tell is the competition between Lucas and Son and that is only because Lucas' start to this season.

That doesn't necessarily mean we need to sign anyone but people need to fucking step up. Is Aurier really content with being second choice in these big games? What's Lamela working hard for?

Yeh same here, we have some very good players but it does feel stale. Also a question of attitude, when Lamela comes on he seems he wants it, Lucas today did as well but we need more than two fired up players.

The ONLY difference in the team from what I can really tell is the competition between Lucas and Son and that is only because Lucas' start to this season.

And yet BOTH should be starting from here on in, but that wont happen. Not without juggling around the whole midfield and playing Dele as CM and Eriksen out left, and Kane in the hole etc etc

Anything not to drop certain players.

Id be happy to see:

..............................Lloris

Trippier............Sanchez.........Jan...........Davies

.............Dembele..........Dier/Winks/Wanyama

................................Dele

...........Son................................Lamela

.........................Moura

But no matter how crap Kane or Eriksen are, and how well Moura, Lamela and Son are playing, that will never happen. And people think Martial or Zaha would get a game.

Which is why I find it baffling that Kanes form is blamed on the "supply" by some. Moura did fine with the same players around him, because he runs.

Kane looked knackered he needs a rest but quite a lot of players look off the pace such as Dier, Eriksen etc.

It does feel that this group of players have gone as far as they can and they themselves believe so too

It is not helping that Eriksen won't sign a new contract, that Alderweireld, Dembele and Verts are most likely on their way out at the end of this season.

No new signings, no stadium, our best players knackered/out of form

Yes standing still is going backwards.

Which is why I find it baffling that Kanes form is blamed on the "supply" by some. Moura did fine with the same players around him, because he runs.

Poch is half the problem though
Who's to blame for the form of our midfield players? yes moura is better at running with the ball than Kane and he was more effective when he went out to the left in the second half, but he was also non existent in the first half when he was through the middle with Kane, actually baffling to not acknowledge our midfield was complete dogshit today.

Kane looked knackered he needs a rest but quite a lot of players look off the pace such as Dier, Eriksen etc.

Yes he does need a rest, and that means that Poch, not Levy needs to be held accountable.
Play Son and Llorente up top. Play Moura and Son up top. Play Lamela behind Son. Play Lamela behind Moura.

If Poch doesnt try any of those, and keeps playing Kane in this "new role", then that is on the manager.
As I said, signing Martial, or Zaha or Grealish would give us the EXACT same issues, because he will not drop Kane.

Not from me John. I was disappointed we didn’t sign someone good enough, I just didn’t go on about it for 3 months. You’ll need better bait.
Do you feel let down by the board's blatent lack of ambition with regards to using the window to strengthen our first 11?
I do. Especially in light of Levy's huge bonus. It's almost like they forgot about the small matter of the football team.

Last edited:
In the Summer it was widely expected that Rose, Alderweireld and Dembele would leave. They didn't and all are very important to us and my biggest fear was the replacements would not be as good. With no outgoings we had no space for overseas players and could only sign Home grown or risk having to ship someone out cheap. We should have bought Grealish as he was wanted, affordable and available. Levy made a mistake waiting and the opportunity had gone. Our scouts should have identified more home grown targets that are available.
It has been reported that the Premier League are considering increasing the number of home grown and maybe tightening up the criteria. Levy will know this and unless he sells an overseas player he is unlikely to buy another in January although llorente is out of contract next summer and will surely leave.
We do not want to sell our best players and no one wants those we want replacing.
Until there are sales it is difficult to see incoming players unless homegrown and not many of them are good enough and available.

Do you feel let down by the board's blatent lack of ambition with regards to using the window to strengthen to team?
I do. Especially in light of Levy's huge bonus. It's almost like they forgot about the small matter of the football team.

I think the lack of spending was stadium related, but that doesn’t explain the attitude of the players we have. Something is going on behind the scenes - I wish I knew what.

Back
Top Bottom