Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's clear from that performance that our level has dropped, it was probably one of the worst I have seen under Poch and we have seen some stinkers.

It's the application that worries me, the lack of fight, I think some of these players have hit their peak and without reinforcements we will only do as good as, or worse, than we did last season.

The problems were there to be seen even last season. Lots of questions in the full back areas, CM and lack of options up front.

We look stale and predictable. I suspect this might be Poch's last season. 5 years is a good innings in this day and age but sometimes things just reach their natural conclusion.

The problems are stemming from the players here, not players who arent.

You'd have a point if we were playing at our best, but we arent. I thought Kane was knackered?
But a new CM would give him more energy?

The issue is that Poch needs to grow a pair and bench him, and play with Moura, Son, Eriksen and Dele in a front four next week (injuries permitting).
If not Dele, then Lamela.

Also need to press the oppo. Can sign frikkin Gattuso if you want, but if you instruct him to back off, it dont make a difference.

The problems are stemming from the players here, not players who arent.

You'd have a point if we were playing at our best, but we arent. I thought Kane was knackered?
But a new CM would give him more energy?

The issue is that Poch needs to grow a pair and bench him, and play with Moura, Son, Eriksen and Dele in a front four next week (injuries permitting).
If not Dele, then Lamela.

Also need to press the oppo. Can sign frikkin Gattuso if you want, but if you instruct him to back off, it dont make a difference.
If you think kane was the issue today not the midfield you need your head examined

Seri was available (Fulham signed him for £25m in July) and would've added something to our midfield, can't say I was disappointed we didn't sign Grealish.

Last edited:
If you think kane was the issue today not the midfield you need your head examined

Well thats your opinion.
Moura did just fine for himself, as did Son and Lamela.

You seem to think that Kane needs everyone else around to be world class so all he has to do is stick out a foot and its a goal. The midfield at least battled.

To me this is two prong. We would do well with enhancing the squad. But we also need to grow and adapt tactically. Our team is playing a style of football that they played to great effect two years ago. Thing is the rest of the league has smartened up and know what to do now to nullify us. We are standing still tactically as well as in the squad.

It doesn't matter how many new players we buy if we don't switch up our style of play as well.

Grealish & Ndombele wouldn't be bad shouts to get a bit of flair and energy into our ranks. It's such a shame we looked so flat today and I still don't understand why Eriksen needs to drop so deep when we have Dier, Winks and Dembele starting. I get he impression we are trying far too many different formations, just keep it simple with a 4-2-3-1 now

Keane confirmed on Sky that he was speaking with Levy before the season started and we got priced out of signing 4 players.

Keane confirmed on Sky that he was speaking with Levy before the season started and we got priced out of signing 4 players.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Is what it is, we just have to hope our new stadium generates the vast wealth to compete in the coming years.

For all the times Poch claims to be a disciple of Bielsa, he sure seems to have missed his key lesson of "adapt adapt, adapt. Always adapt".

We are always slow with substitutions and he seems to always hold off on implementing tactical changes, expecting the players to do it themselves. Where as Bielsa will change things almost immediately if he does not like what he is seeing. He took off Kalvin Phillips after 27 minutes vs Swansea last month because he felt that they needed another player in midfield to get points and it paid off.

Priced out !!! What he meant was we tried to sign 4 players that cost the going rate of top quality and he wants to be spending championship type money as always...but he is not too shy in giving himself huge pay increases haggling over what is in football terms small change on transfer fees....man is a joke and so are we whilst he is in charge imo...

The problems were there to be seen even last season. Lots of questions in the full back areas, CM and lack of options up front.

We look stale and predictable. I suspect this might be Poch's last season. 5 years is a good innings in this day and age but sometimes things just reach their natural conclusion.

Thing is if Poch goes half are team are leaving with him.

Back
Top Bottom