Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've been punching above our weight for the past four seasons. Maybe it's finally caught up with us?

I don't think it's that. Punching above your weight is what Leicester did in 15/16, we have been in the top 3 for three consecutive seasons. We have been exactly where we should be, good enough to challenge but not good enough to win big things.

We are just having to deal with a lot of stuff this year. Tired players after the WC, Son away at the Asia games, no signings, stadium delays, issues with Lloris, reintegrating Alderweireld, etc. It has been a complicated time for the club.

Hopefully with Son, Lamela and Wanyama back in the frame we can give some freshness to the team, that's the most obvious thing we need. When you see players like Dier and Eriksen playing like they have a blindfold on you have to change something. Kane is labouring (although his supply is non-existent) and we have seen that Sonny can play very well as a striker especially away from home. Davinson is a top CB and we can change to a back 3. Aurier is fresh. The options are there and if we want we can change 5 or 6 players.

If I have a criticism of Poch this season it's that he's fiddled too much from game to game, when you are struggling you need to return to what you know. The 442 midfield diamond is an interesting idea but we need to put that to one side for now and go back to either the 4231 or 343 that the players know. Lucas has been our best player this season but if this formation is causing Eriksen, Kane, Dier etc to play like cack then it has to change.

Last edited:
He's actually against it and believes we will win the league this season
We won’t win the league this season - that much is clear. We haven’t won the league in 134 out of the 136 years we’ve existed. We’ve spent loads of money in the past. Read the Glory Game. We were the richest club in England during the ‘60’s but no league titles since the beginning of that decade. It’s how you spend the money you’ve got. Why crucify Sammy for bigging up our chances? He might well be wrong, but it’s better than hearing that if we’d spent a few quid we’d have 5 or 6 titles - if history is the judge, we wouldn’t have. We should have done better in those days, when we had an advantage. We’re right down the pecking order these days, but we’re still fighting. I like that.

The problems were there to be seen even last season. Lots of questions in the full back areas, CM and lack of options up front.

We look stale and predictable. I suspect this might be Poch's last season. 5 years is a good innings in this day and age but sometimes things just reach their natural conclusion.

Thing is if Poch goes half are team are leaving with him.

The problems were there to be seen even last season. Lots of questions in the full back areas, CM and lack of options up front.

We look stale and predictable. I suspect this might be Poch's last season. 5 years is a good innings in this day and age but sometimes things just reach their natural conclusion.

I was one of those who wasn’t too bothered about our lack of signings in the summer. Like most, I would have been happy with a new central midfielder, but I thought (and still think, to an extent) that continuity in the squad would help us grow and mature as a team.

Well it hasn’t played out like that at all. We’ve looked like a bunch of strangers in almost every game. Maybe freshening things up would have been for the best.

I still think the exploits of our players at the World Cup has left us with a bit of a hangover (as many thought it might), but there’s only so much you can blame on fatigue.

Perhaps as fans sometimes we overrate our players. I mean it’s easy to look at our squad and go it’s as good as Chelsea’s or Liverpool’s but is it really?

Personally I think City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United have better all round squads (admittedly United playing well below potential) and ours is around Woolwich’s probably a bit better with a lot of good forward players but a limited midfield.

Yes Poch maybe needs a tactical rethink on a few things but I am skeptical even if he get it perfect 100% of the time this is a league winning squad.

In reference to the thread yes staying still is falling behind. We really need the new stadium to show it’s worth and invest in our squad either in Jan or next summer.

Thing is for me we have the 5-6 best squad in the league getting top 4 year after year. Poch has massively overachieved given the resources he has been given. People shouldn’t think we get rid or lose him we will be going anywhere but down unless we put in massive resources which ain’t likely.

ENIC is not some guaranteed upward trajectory, I mean we had Ramos getting us in the relegation zone. We have had a few good managers at the right time like Jol, Redknapp and obviously Poch who is better than the prior two by far. We are only a shit manager away from going back to mid table given how we invest.

Yes Poch got some things wrong but his work on individual players, the team has been remarkable and he bailed ENIC after the AVB Sherwood shitshow.

You want investment then belittle things that will draw money into the club at the new ground
Sammy where's you sense of adventure. When our new cathedral of football opens , please join me , at my expense of course at the "Arthur Rowe massage suit of pleasure " ( upper level zone 3 ) Swedish, Thai what makes you whistle?

Than us ,
2 seasons ago UEFA cup, league cup, an FA cup before that .
Apologies, thought you was on about the Dippers, didn't look at the original post, just saw gurning Klopp.
I was gearing up as well.
200w.gif

The problems are stemming from the players here, not players who arent.

You'd have a point if we were playing at our best, but we arent. I thought Kane was knackered?
But a new CM would give him more energy?

The issue is that Poch needs to grow a pair and bench him, and play with Moura, Son, Eriksen and Dele in a front four next week (injuries permitting).
If not Dele, then Lamela.

Also need to press the oppo. Can sign frikkin Gattuso if you want, but if you instruct him to back off, it dont make a difference.
We got owned in midfield today you clueless prick - blaming Kane lol. We had no control of the game. And that wasn’t even the best midfield in the League.

Still thinking our CMs didn’t need upgrading - can never admit you were wrong on the Internet . Utter utter joke

I'd like to think it was the first reason... which brings me back to the point, that you DON'T need the best team/squad, or shedloads of cash to win the league occasionally!
Well if your prepared to wait for another miracle, which will come along once every century , then you have unlimited great patience .
Really you need some investment, there is no other way, unfournatly the more you spend the more you will win over time . The Chavs/Oil City have dominated silverware over the last decade .
I don't expect us to spend anywhere near that level but never is criminal and so little investment in the first 11 over many years always leaves us fragile . If our model was so successful lm surprised it's so derided by the media and hasn't become a blueprint for others.
A great run pragmatic business doesn't mean a successful trophy winning team.

Does Sammy know you can have positive net spend and take on debt? It's not like we let people into the stadium for free, the club makes a lot of money. Surely we should see some of that go to transfers

Back
Top Bottom