Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was one of those who wasn’t too bothered about our lack of signings in the summer. Like most, I would have been happy with a new central midfielder, but I thought (and still think, to an extent) that continuity in the squad would help us grow and mature as a team.

Well it hasn’t played out like that at all. We’ve looked like a bunch of strangers in almost every game. Maybe freshening things up would have been for the best.

I still think the exploits of our players at the World Cup has left us with a bit of a hangover (as many thought it might), but there’s only so much you can blame on fatigue.
Not signing anyone can only have a negative effect on the team.
Firstly it alllows complacency to set in. You're good enough boys, no need to fight for your place.
Secondly, it sends out a clear message that the club is not serious about competing for major honours.
How else can you describe it when a club that finishes 3rd, only reached the last 16 in Europe, and failed to reach a domestic cup final fail to buy a single fucking player in the summer transfer window.

Firstly it alllows complacency to set in. You're good enough boys, no need to fight for your place.
Secondly, it sends out a clear message that the club is not serious about competing for major honours.
How else can you describe it when a club that finishes 3rd, only reached the last 16 in Europe, and failed to reach a domestic cup final fail to buy a single fucking player in the summer transfer window.
I just wanted a quality CM that’s all. Moura was always going to be a new signing of sorts

Part of the problem is the lack of potential targets. Who would we be able to bring in?
I don't buy that argument Jerry. How can 19 other clubs identify targets and sign them but not us?
I know all 19 can't improve on last season and some signings don't succeed, but at least they all made an effort.
We sat back and did fuck all.

For one second can you change the record?

Can you evolve your argument?
Your views are stagnant, almost pitiful now.

Develope your thoughts a tad, because you’ve said the same thing 14 Million times.

I’ll help you along.

Do you think Poch is using the squad to it’s full potential?
Do you think he managed to get the best use out of Llorente and Janssen, and Njie and Nkoudou like he did with others?
Do you think Davies and Sanchez deserve dropping?
Do you think Son and Moura could be used to rest Kane?
Do you think Wanyama should have been reintroduced by now?
Do you think we should be pressing more?
Do you think we could make subs earlier?

All things that could improve us outside of the window. You seem to think that by signing Martial, our problems would have disappeared.

Again you did not once mention a striker before today. No one did.

No one except me.
12th July
Honestly what is this desperation? Llorente and Janssen out and a striker in would be an epic window

John, you was one of 4 people who pressed disagree to that post.

They were always going to be. We peaked two years ago. All you had to do was wait until we were shit.
We ain't shit. I'm surprised you use those words.
But we had a real chance to push on and challenge for titles. Poch himself said so.
It appears the owners were reluctant to make an effort though. That's what's frustrating.

Anyway, i take it you'll also be giving MOTD a miss again this evening?

Last edited:
I know you do. You said so earlier.
What do you suspect they might be? You must have a theory or two

I really don’t, but I’ll try. It’s out of character for Poch to berate the team. After beating Utd so handily maybe some players felt they deserved a bit of praise for turning the game around and instead they got a volley in public. That’s so unlike him - man management is his real strong point and I think he should have kept that in house. I got some stick for suggesting Alderweireld’s reintegration might have caused some problems, and that’s fair enough, I was guessing, but we aren’t playing for each other at the moment. Something is definitely going on. I think his ‘clean slate’ statement has upset some of our more loyal players who maybe thought opportunities were close. Just a few thoughts, but who knows?

Players can get complacent and also just downright demotivated. No improvements to the squad when we were so far off any trophy last season. In the danish media it sounds like Eriksen was willing to sign an extension, on the condition that we showed ambition in the market

The thing this argument always comes back to for me is; "Well Leicester did it"

And for these reasons: they didn't spend big, yet managed to win the league, now either they MASSIVELY over achieved, (most likely) in which case, if THEY can, WE can...
OR everyone in the league collectively decided to roll over against them, when it became clear WE were genuinely in with a shout of challenging them... in which case, we needn't bother showing up, as it'll happen year after year, WHOEVER our rivals are.

I'd like to think it was the first reason... which brings me back to the point, that you DON'T need the best team/squad, or shedloads of cash to win the league occasionally!
Disagree x 1
Natty Roots

Booooo Natty Roots Natty Roots !!!

You want investment then belittle things that will draw money into the club at the new ground
To beef up the boardroom bonus scheme? Levy got a juicy fat bonus this year off the back of our glorious profit margin.
As a fan, I'm bewildered that you wouldn't rather see the money reinvested in bolstering the football team.

Losing still hurts as much as it ever did. I deliberately missed the build up on Sky and turned the TV off as soon as the final whistle went and went into the garden to cut the grass (had we won it would have waited until today while I watched the feedback)
Having said all that too many of you are going over the top. Talking about dropping players when we have players injured and a busy schedule coming up and need 18 players each match day. Several players are not match fit after injury and others tired including Son who also needs a rest. The evidence when Kane and Eriksen are rested in Cup matches is that the performance is poorer. They are better off form than others like Llorente. Davies and Sanchez are not dropped and were subs yesterday and likely to play in one of the next 2 matches. Dier will have to play in the next 2 weeks as we will need him. This season was always going to be difficult after the World Cup,extra away games and moving into the new home and the delay has made it worse.
The squad will need to be managed over the next few weeks but there is reason to believe that we will get better once everyone is match fit and over the WC.
It is clear from Poch's comments that not buying anyone was NOT plan A. It is a surprise that players that we said we would listen to offers are still here but that is better than them leaving and being replaced by a poorer player as Walker/Aurier. We have no availability to buy an overseas player limiting our options.
We have played 2 of the top 6 teams already and are in all cup competitions. We will have more home games than away games later in the season which will help.
Stop being so gloomy we can still have a good season!

Excellent post.

I understand what you mean about Eriksen, but I honestly think we have started to build him up too much.

I’m not sure how manny games he’s missed for Spurs, what the results were, who else we had available at the time, or how well we played without him in those games.

So for me it’s all turned a bit Emperors New Clothes.

It’s become this thing: “When Eriksen is poor Spurs are poor”
My solution to that is “get him off the pitch then”

Eriksen could be rotated with Dele for a similar effect, or change our attack completely play wingers and two up top.

We’re not varying it up enough with what we have and that’s the problem. I’d be happy to drop both Eriksen and Kane next PL match.

That’s how much confidence I have in the quality of Son, Moura and Lamela as a front three, and that’s why I’m putting Pochs failings before the signings argument.

He won’t rotate. So why would Martial, or Zaha or Grealish get a game ahead of Kane or Eriksen when he won’t drop them for the better players we already have?

People make the point Eriksen is dropping back to do the CMs work.
That’s not his job.

If he can break rank and do what he’s not supposed to be doing in central midfield then how about he breaks rank and does the same for Kane then?

I don’t buy it. When the central midfield disappears the defence usually gets a pummeling, yet by and large Jan and Toby are playing just as well as they always do.

So why are Kane and Eriksen so poor with the same central midfield.
Why is that Moura, Lamela, Dele and Son all look ok with the same CMs?

Poch is happy to drop Sanchez and Davies for no reason, for two players who showed no loyalty, but point blank refuses to rotate up top.

It’s a poor message to the squad. We were better with Davies and Sanchez in the side.

But dropping back has become a major part of his (Eriksen's) remit, either directly (where we are playing him CM3's as an 8, which we did several times last season and already this (Watfrd eg), or indirectly because of the complete lack of transitional ability of players like Dier (worst culprit) or Dembele (who's game's just degenerating and has never been a tempo setter). He wouldn't be doing without Poch's tactical instruction.

I genuinely think if anything his overall contribution to this side is underrated, partly because he has such a quiet persona.

If you search the big five European leagues for last season, you will be hard pushed to find a player who scored/assisted 20 goals, averaged nearly 3 key passes a game, 60 passes a game, and regularly also covered more ground than anyone else in their team.

The guy is almost playing two positions every game, due to the complete lack of creative/incisve/tempo from our other CM's. He's played as a 10, as an 8, and also more frequently as a kind of "false 10/ 8 Hybrid" where he takes responsibility for our transition from midfield to attack as well as ending up in the attack, often in the same moves.

Ive read you saying he's nowhere near a 100m player, but if you take persona out of it and just weigh up his performances and output, they are directly comparable with someone like Coutinho for example and he went to Barca for GB 105m rising to 140m.

Regardless of his "value", I would personally rather lose any other player than him, I think he's almost unique in Europe, certainly very rare. Apart from Coutinho, Pjanic is probably the only real other player currently fulfilling a similar kind of remit (and even he doesn't match Eriksen's goal/assist tally playing for Juve - the strongest team in their league), and I'm pretty sure he'd cost 100m+.

These are the games that Eriksen didn't feature in at all last season:

PL Southampton D1-1
FA Newport D1-1
FA Rochdale 2-2
CL Apoel 3-0
CL Apoel 3-0
LC Barnsley W1-0
LC West Ham L2-3
FA Wimbledon W3-0
FA Newport W2-0
FA Rochdale W6-1

I'm not sure if you remember, but some of those games were horrendous (Southampton, Newport, Rochdale, West Ham, Barnsley) That Southampton game was one of the worst games we played last season, this was when they were terrible too, and we were lucky to get a draw.

The problem with your idea is, that when Eriksen is poor, we don't look great, but when Erisksen isn't there, we look a shit load worse.

Back
Top Bottom