Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought the benefit of the doubt went to the attacker?

Yep, still fuming!!!!!!!!

That's not a rule anymore.

Offside rule isn't open to interpretation, it's set in stone. No benefit to attacker, no only changing decisions if they're clearly and obviously wrong. If a goal is even a fraction of an inch offside, they will chalk it off.

All by the book.

Of course it will! I don't know why it's so complicated that there appears to be a million interpretations for every single rule.

Still fuming!!!
It was a robbery. It should never take 4 minutes to make a decision. If it takes more than 30 seconds it isn’t clear and obvious.
The game is ruined when fans go wild then have to sit in agony for 4 minutes whilst some idiot moves imaginary lines around to get the decision TV wants.

Thought he was ok last night (Son) but they aren’t getting the ball in dangerous situations, feeding on scraps. We aren’t good enough and an base and there’s not enough energy. Blaming Son is too simplistic tho he has been poor
Agreed on Son. I'd like to take the same opportunity to defend Kane from his various detractors. He was pivotal in almost every attack last night and scored his only chance with aplomb. It's been the same for weeks: he's been making mostly great passes and is doing good things when he has the ball. But the team isn't getting the ball into the forward line and particularly Kane enough for his low-key solid play to stand out. I blame, for the most part, all the sideways passing around the back and along the halfway line.

On an unrelated note, you should consider submitting fewer Disagrees (like on a few of the VAR posts on pages 111-113, including mine). The community as a whole seems to have agreed to reserve Disagrees for posts to which they truly object and not simply for alternative perspectives in friendly debates, and I think that's good. What's your perspective?

That's not a rule anymore.

Offside rule isn't open to interpretation, it's set in stone. No benefit to attacker, no only changing decisions if they're clearly and obviously wrong. If a goal is even a fraction of an inch offside, they will chalk it off.

All by the book.
The rules should favour the attacker for the sake of the game though, tbf.

The rules should favour the attacker for the sake of the game though, tbf.

If you want it to be more exciting, sure. The issue there is you're then leaving it up to the interpretation of referees and where do they draw the line? You're gonna end up with lots of controversial decisions where refs favour the attacker a bit too much or not enough, depending on who you support.

I think in most cases the fact that the offside rule is extremely clear cut is a good thing, personally. It leads to less frustration to me as it applies equally to everyone. Or at least that's the theory. Sure it's annoying when a player is a millimetre offside, but as long as it would be the same for the opposition you can't really complain.

Maybe some sort of trendy / stand out hat would work better. We’d all know each other then.

chicken-hat-602-p.jpg
goorin-bros-rooster-cock-gallo-de-la-playa-the-farm-orange-blue-and-yellow-bucket-hat.jpg
3rFQmai.png

I have seen some posts here since the game bemoaning our performance last night and I absolutely concur with that.

I am struggling to determine in my own mind if the problem is the players, manager(s), ENIC or a combination of all three.

One thing I do know though is VAR is anti football and a blight on our game. It is one (not the only) reason why I gave up my ST.

When someone says this it is usually met with agrees or people pointing out that VAR isn’t the problem it is the people making the decisions. Rules have been changed in recent seasons (handball especially) it seems just to fit with VAR. if there was no VAR the people making the decisions would be only on the pitch.

That is where it needs to return to IMO but I fear Pandora’s box is now open and it won’t be closed. The game is so much poorer for it.
The FA would never withdraw VAR, as it would be a massive admission of failure. The marginal offside calls are the biggest problem in my opinion. If every goal is being scrutinised, why aren't blatant examples of cheating that the referee misses, being pulled too?

I was always taught that the early ball to the man in space ought to be the natual instinct......... Is this being lost to indecision and/or drilled patterns that in practice aren't always an available option?
Absolutely spot on!
I'm baffled when I keep seeing a clear and obvious pass to a player in space, who could then make an attacking run down the flanks, turned down in favour of a short pass into a congested area.
Surely, this can't be coached.

They destroy the game!
They're doing a World Cup in Qatar!
Corruption is daily bread!
Check out how the kids have to stand with millimeter precision before the teams walk in!

I don't want this machinations anymore!
A handball is a handball!
Offside is when it's offside, not when I need a magnifying glass!
The game is destroyed by hours of searching for the fly in the ointment!
I want my street football back and I want it to be our game again!
Not their game!

(If this continues, I'll start smoking again!)

They destroy the game!
They're doing a World Cup in Qatar!
Corruption is daily bread!
Check out how the kids have to stand with millimeter precision before the teams walk in!

I don't want this machinations anymore!
A handball is a handball!
Offside is when it's offside, not when I need a magnifying glass!
The game is destroyed by hours of searching for the fly in the ointment!
I want my street football back and I want it to be our game again!
Not their game!

(If this continues, I'll start smoking again!)
I've been saying for years that this is the most corrupt sport on the planet, and I think that the English game is the worst of the lot.

There is only one way that I can see us getting our game back, and that is for the fans to en masse boycott the game. Bring it to it's knees.

Unfortunately, this will never happen, as trying to get Football fans to make a coordinated effort would be like herding cats.

I've been saying for years that this is the most corrupt sport on the planet, and I think that the English game is the worst of the lot.

There is only one way that I can see us getting our game back, and that is for the fans to en masse boycott the game. Bring it to it's knees.

Unfortunately, this will never happen, as trying to get Football fans to make a coordinated effort would be like herding cats.
And the petro clubs, and their fans wouldn't care.

There's 3 pumped up fake clubs in the PL now, and there's probably going to be more as time goes on.
Even if it stays at 3, I can guarantee that within a few short years, it will end up as the top 2 being City and Newcastle (I'm hopefully discounting Chelsea) every year and then it's a battle between the rest.

"Ordinary" clubs are fucked.

I thought the benefit of the doubt went to the attacker?

Yep, still fuming!!!!!!!!
Its the way of the world - people are too quick to berate and accuse (cancel) people if they are perceived to make a mistake. The VAR ref could have happily said that was good, and I doubt anyone would have complained
It was a robbery. It should never take 4 minutes to make a decision. If it takes more than 30 seconds it isn’t clear and obvious.
The game is ruined when fans go wild then have to sit in agony for 4 minutes whilst some idiot moves imaginary lines around to get the decision TV wants.
particularly as it was such a magnificent goal, at a time of incredible drama

And if it has to take 4 minutes to review, we should be allowed to play those 4 minutes. Instead the ref blew the final whistle as soon as Sporting took their free kick.

I'm almost more pissed off about that than the review.

Back
Top Bottom