Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whatever the technical limitations of our players, we saw in the second half that it’s the intensity of our performance that is the most important thing.

In the first 45 we moved the ball like slugs, Sporting never had to sweat (neither did we). Second 45 we made them suffer, they were hanging on for dear life.

We should be playing like that from the first minute, only the players can explain why we don’t. These slow starts have been an issue for the last 3-4 years, the players have to get over this mentality of starting games with the handbrake on.

Frustrating as hell as to why tough managers like Jose & Conte can't shake it out of them.

I think Conte is pragmatic but there’s a difference between playing pragmatically and simply not playing. I do not believe that Conte tells the players to move the ball as slowly as possible when we win it back. That doesn’t make any sense.
It doesn’t make sense. But in that case why are they doing it! In the second half we took risks, all the back 3 at some point were in their box. Benta, PEH and Gil beat a man when in the first half no one did.

Not if they decide he wasn't deliberately playing the ball.

I don't agree he wasn't
I'd say the word "deliberate(ly)" has no place in football laws. It requires a person to assess the thought process of another, something which is pretty much impossible. No amount of technology can ever change that.

But even given the use of the word, if you are defending a cross on the edge of the six-yard box, then that would suggest that a conscious (i.e. deliberate) decision has been made. You're not there by accident.

I'd say the word "deliberate(ly)" has no place in football laws. It requires a person to assess the thought process of another, something which is pretty much impossible. No amount of technology can ever change that.

But even given the use of the word, if you are defending a cross on the edge of the six-yard box, then that would suggest that a conscious (i.e. deliberate) decision has been made. You're not there by accident.
Agree, and once you do bring it in offsides are not black and white issues (if it ever was) that the rule makers say it is, so clear and obvious should come into play.

THE VAR LINES
I haven't had a good look at the VAR lines yet, but annoying as the decision is, if it had have been the same decision at the other end of the pitch, but in our favour, which it could easily have been, VAR would be a hero, not a villain this morning.

I'm just hoping that when I find a replay and analyse it for my own satisfaction, that they haven't cocked up.

THE TIME IT TOOK
Just one general moan - I thought offside decisions were supposed to take 'a few seconds', using this new improved system of tracking points - looks like they might have forgotten to include the ball in their planning? What a bunch of useless cunts.

It doesn’t make sense. But in that case why are they doing it! In the second half we took risks, all the back 3 at some point were in their box. Benta, PEH and Gil beat a man when in the first half no one did.

Because they are wimps. Many times you will see them choose a cowardly safe pass over a more threatening one. They are afraid to lose the ball.

Of course we should take care of the ball and not be reckless but to create chances you have to move the ball with intent. With aggression. When I watch Man City I don’t see players who are worried about giving the ball away. It all goes back to that weak, loser mentality. A top team plays with a swagger and takes the initiative. We have to get back to that.

Because they are wimps. Many times you will see them choose a cowardly safe pass over a more threatening one. They are afraid to lose the ball.

Of course we should take care of the ball and not be reckless but to create chances you have to move the ball with intent. With aggression. When I watch Man City I don’t see players who are worried about giving the ball away. It all goes back to that weak, loser mentality. A top team plays with a swagger and takes the initiative. We have to get back to that.

I was always taught that the early ball to the man in space ought to be the natual instinct......... Is this being lost to indecision and/or drilled patterns that in practice aren't always an available option?

Frustrating as hell as to why tough managers like Jose & Conte can't shake it out of them.
It's crazy to me, because I can't imagine them wanting to do anything other than scream at the players and rip their throats out due to the absolute apathy they display on the pitch so frequently.

And yet if they were doing that then I wouldn't expect to see the same laboured lack of endeavour on display again in the very next match, yet we do.

Maybe he is directing them to conserve themselves but the players are too dumb to get the right balance and still maintain a sufficient level to keep winning?

THE VAR LINES
I haven't had a good look at the VAR lines yet, but annoying as the decision is, if it had have been the same decision at the other end of the pitch, but in our favour, which it could easily have been, VAR would be a hero, not a villain this morning.

I'm just hoping that when I find a replay and analyse it for my own satisfaction, that they haven't cocked up.

THE TIME IT TOOK
Just one general moan - I thought offside decisions were supposed to take 'a few seconds', using this new improved system of tracking points - looks like they might have forgotten to include the ball in their planning? What a bunch of useless cunts.
VAR will never be a hero.

THE VAR LINES

THE TIME IT TOOK
Update...
I've just done a screen grab of 'the moment' chosen by VAR. It was from a HQ feed from Footyfull and it's a joke.

More like a 'spot the ball' competition. WHERE IS THE BALL?????? How the hell can you judge offside when it looks like Emerson's heading the white line FFS?

toDRhPs.png

Rubbish, isn't it? The freeze-frame is so bad that it looks like part of Emerson is disappearing into the pitch (wish he would, sometimes).

I was always taught that the early ball to the man in space ought to be the natual instinct......... Is this being lost to indecision and/or drilled patterns that in practice aren't always an available option?
I could only explain away the lack of this in our play if we were trying to keep possession and avoid less risky passes, yet Conte's style doesn't give a shit about keeping possession for the sake of it, so I don't get it.

I've also been watching our games this season and for the most part wondering where the fuck these supposed patterns of play have disappeared to? It's a worrying trend with our squad under all managers that after a while you begin to question what they are actually doing in training, as there is no evidence of any kind of plan during games.

If they have downed tools under Poch, Mourinho and now Conte (I know it's a big if) then we need to get rid of all but a couple of them and start afresh, as there must be some bad apples consistently spoiling the bunch.

I could only explain away the lack of this in our play if we were trying to keep possession and avoid less risky passes, yet Conte's style doesn't give a shit about keeping possession for the sake of it, so I don't get it.

I've also been watching our games this season and for the most part wondering where the fuck these supposed patterns of play have disappeared to? It's a worrying trend with our squad under all managers that after a while you begin to question what they are actually doing in training, as there is no evidence of any kind of plan during games.

If they have downed tools under Poch, Mourinho and now Conte (I know it's a big if) then we need to get rid of all but a couple of them and start afresh, as there must be some bad apples consistently spoiling the bunch.

I just dunno...... You'd assume the long-termers were in fact the good apples..... Kane, Son, Hugo, Davies......

I don't want to be the one who ruins the party...
but we aren't going to win against marseille. let's pray for a draw
that depends
on
  1. A standard Conte team - defending in numbers, hoping to hit a team who will know exactly what to expect, on the break. Leading to Frustration, desperation, defeat
  2. The tactics that finished the last 30 minutes of the game last night, from the kick off. Win or a defeat we can be proud of (if they fight to the disallowed goal in the 96th.

In football , deflections are not deliberate actions. He doesnt deliberately play the ball in the direction it went.

So players reserve the right to pretend to be an innocuous wall just as long as they don't stick a leg out?

If true that's just selective ignorance in the name of being able to assert a convenient protocol..... Much like they've been changing rules to accommodate VAR.

I mean do people actually think we are going to get anything against Marseille?

These bottle job cunts will of course crumble as they usually do and the VAR call will be what they use as the excuse.

Guendouzi, Sanchez, Tavares or Kolasanic ......bet your fucking mortgage on one of (or maybe more) these cunts scoring and/or getting MOTM which will inevitably be the goal that knocks us out.

I've seen this story time and time again. Absolutely bored of it all.

Last edited:
I mean do people actually think we are going to get anything against Marseille?

These bottle job cunts will of course crumble as they usually do and the VAR call will be what they use as the excuse.

Guendouzi, Sanchez, Tavares or Kolasanic ......bet you're fucking mortgage on one of (or maybe more) these cunts scoring and/or getting MOTM which will inevitably be the goal that knocks us out.

I've seen this story time and time again. Absolutely bored of it all.
People saying “it’s in our hands though” like that’s a good thing.. that’s what worries me most!

They will crumble, this group of players don’t have the bollocks to play in these sorts of games and it’s the reason we’re unlikely to win anything under Conte. I don’t think the senior players in the squad have the right mentality when it matters, I.e Lloris, Dier, Kane, Son.

Bryan Gil was the catalyst for our performance last night, if Conte hadn’t bought him on we’d probably still be on our 18 yard line. Same old shit.

The tactics that finished the last 30 minutes of the game last night, from the kick off. Win or a defeat we can be proud of (if they fight to the disallowed goal in the 96th.
We can't play that tactics from the start, it's suicidal. Didn't you see Sporting could have and should have scored on the break more than once!

No we can't be proud because we played crap so far in all competitions, proud of what ffs?! A little reject beating Lloris from 40 yards. That 11 on the pitch being paid millions playing championship football at best should be ashamed of themselves.

Back
Top Bottom