Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The key word there is "TRY"... You're deliberately making an attempt to influence the passage of play.... Irrespective of whether or not the outcome is as intended.

- If I try to make a tackle and instead clean the man out.... It's still a foul, right?
- If I try to make a block and I accidentally change the flight of the goal and it goes in the net..... It still gets credited as an OG.
- If i position myself as the player did last night I"m still interfering with play..... He's obstructing a 'passing lane'.

The semantics of the rulebook made argue against this logic, but the principle objection is completely just.
In the own goal rules though, there are no exceptions placed in the rulebook to say only if the ball was deliberately put in the goal by the defender. In the offside rule, they use that word. It is very vague and open to manipulation though. So I can see the opposite reasoning.

Still think it should be offside , as I think Kane was in an offside position when the ball was played by Emerson.

Worst thing was Dier going to the ref saying, "ball went backwards" , its one thing me, or you dont know the rules..

Last edited:
Shelf Bar, near Gate 122 - come and say hello and that goes for Mandy Mandy and anyone else daft enough to have bought a ticket for this one !

:dierpochhug:

Didn’t see you guys last night unfortunately.

Popped along to the shelf bar but ended up closer to the bar than gate 122.

It was noticeable how busy that place is with the guy singing his songs. As soon as he stopped everybody left!!

Update...
I've just done a screen grab of 'the moment' chosen by VAR. It was from a HQ feed from Footyfull and it's a joke.

More like a 'spot the ball' competition. WHERE IS THE BALL?????? How the hell can you judge offside when it looks like Emerson's heading the white line FFS?

toDRhPs.png

Rubbish, isn't it? The freeze-frame is so bad that it looks like part of Emerson is disappearing into the pitch (wish he would, sometimes).
I see that Mike81 has disagreed with my view that this particular VAR analysis is crap. I can only assume that Mike81 is actually Mike Dean.

Hi Mike!

I still don’t get this graphic. Surely they are measuring the last part of Royal’s torso against the furthest forward (foot) of Harry!
I think they're trying to guess where the ball is and comparing it to Harry's furthest forward part. And that's the problem - they're GUESSING where the ball is, as far as I can see.

Not sure if already posted.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you use technology to enforce rules to a silly degree. No human lines person would be able to judge that offside with their eyes. No human player would be able to keep their knee behind the ball in that split second either.

Really I think they should just do away with the offside lines altogether. All they should use is the raw video. You can (quickly) produce a clear angle that shows offside to the naked eye? Then give offside. If you can’t make a decision without the lines then you shouldn’t be giving it.

I’m 100% in favour of using video replays but I’m 100% against introducing trigonometry to football.

I mean do people actually think we are going to get anything against Marseille?

These bottle job cunts will of course crumble as they usually do and the VAR call will be what they use as the excuse.

Guendouzi, Sanchez, Tavares or Kolasanic ......bet your fucking mortgage on one of (or maybe more) these cunts scoring and/or getting MOTM which will inevitably be the goal that knocks us out.

I've seen this story time and time again. Absolutely bored of it all.
stop supporting the club then.
There are plenty more

We can't play that tactics from the start, it's suicidal. Didn't you see Sporting could have and should have scored on the break more than once!

No we can't be proud because we played crap so far in all competitions, proud of what ffs?! A little reject beating Lloris from 40 yards. That 11 on the pitch being paid millions playing championship football at best should be ashamed of themselves.
The thing about discussions is that if you don't understand what is being said - ask for clarity.
Simply belittling a post based on your lack of comprehension skills just makes you look even sillier.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you use technology to enforce rules to a silly degree. No human lines person would be able to judge that offside with their eyes. No human player would be able to keep their knee behind the ball in that split second either.

Really I think they should just do away with the offside lines altogether. All they should use is the raw video. You can (quickly) produce a clear angle that shows offside to the naked eye? Then give offside. If you can’t make a decision without the lines then you shouldn’t be giving it.

I’m 100% in favour of using video replays but I’m 100% against introducing trigonometry to football.
Not sure how they can say for sure on ones like last are 100% with the camera angle and quality used?
Couldn't they use drones from above and a better angle along the touchline?

Aggression and intensity is what we have been lacking these last few weeks.

I know that a lot of people want us to play possession based Poch style football. but I personally have no problem with us playing with a more defensive and counter based style as long as we do it with aggression and intensity. A aggressive defensive team can be really fun to watch.

I dunno if it is intentional or if it is players taking it safe to avoid injuries pre world cup or not. But we need a more consistent level of intensity in our playing in all stages of the outfield.
Spot on , aggression and intensity from minute one

If they are on here please indulge me a bit and let me say a big thank you to the bloke who found my wallet up in the North which I hadn't noticed had fallen out of my pocket during the "goal" celebrations presumably.
I was a bit all over the place after the deVARcle and in the middle of walking out so didn't really clock you. Hope you heard my thanks, think you were one of regulars in row in front of me.

OK, so why was this goal given?

"Anthony Taylor made a correct decision based on the existing law and its official interpretation," said Roseti. The goal stood"

"France striker Mbappe was in an offside position but was played onside after Spain defender Eric Garcia made slight contact with the ball when he stretched to intercept Theo Hernandez's pass."

"The goal - which won France the Nations League - stood because Garcia's touch created a new phase of play with Fifa's rules stating "a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball... is not considered to have gained an advantage"

WHAT IS GOING ON???????????????
Garcia meant to touch the ball there, the ball rebounded off the defender last night from no distance, obviously no intent to play the ball with the touch, accidental deflection.

VAR decision aside.........

Last nights game was - for the first time in too long, actually interesting to watch - it was also heartwarming to see the the team throw off the shackles of tortoise football and go "blood and thunder" for a result.
Yep it left gaps, and they could have scored - but they didn't, they got a goal with a long range daisy cutter, and fluffed their lines on better chances.

We were the better team, we had better chances than them, and more shots on target, yada yada yada, more throw ins, a sexier strip and Mrs P in the stands egging us on.

But for the first time in a long time I was proud to see us switch gear and attack, and then attack again, and keep on attacking. So you know what this means...............

We can ACTUALLY take the game to teams, and beat them on a higher level of skill.

The fact that the best justification for that goal being disallowed and RUINING the game of football as a spectacle was based on opinions and measurements that would get laughed out of a courtroom, show that the whole offside process needs to be revised to allow any level striker to be onside until there is a significant difference between the striker and the last defender - not distances measured in angstrom units.

I'm pissed off because this farce was played out to the detriment of the team that I have followed for 55 years of my life, but equally I am monumentally pissed off because this is fucking up the game of football, for every team at every level by robbing the spectators of the thrill and excitement of seeing goals scored.

• 3 points for a win was supposed to encourage teams to try to attack, win and make the game exciting,
  • away goals count double was supposed to encourage teams not to park the bus and brick the goal up away from home
They've binned the last one and and now invented a system by which any goal can be ruled out - if you try hard enough to do so.

If you add the description I put above, the words "significant difference" and an edict to stick to it - from the footballing authorities, then gives refs, assistant refs and VAR refs the opportunity to let goals get scored, and count.

If there is any gap whereby the striker is clearly in front of the last defender - then he's/she's offside

But not level or a few millimeters ahead,

Back
Top Bottom