Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At 1-1 (literally as soon as we scored), he got a bit conservative and swapped Lucas for Emerson. I saw it and chuckled because it sums him up well. I can’t fully blame him in this one because he’s trying not to lose but the 2 times we’ve used a winger at RWB, we have completely dominated.

Clearly the players had a message that they had to win that game though. The urgency was extremely noticeable and Hugo was even rushing a goal kick in the last minute. As opposed to the Liverpool away game last season where a draw did little and we played for it anyway,

It makes me think there's mileage in 352 and any one of Kulu, Lucas, Gil, Spence in that role.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you use technology to enforce rules to a silly degree. No human lines person would be able to judge that offside with their eyes. No human player would be able to keep their knee behind the ball in that split second either.

Really I think they should just do away with the offside lines altogether. All they should use is the raw video. You can (quickly) produce a clear angle that shows offside to the naked eye? Then give offside. If you can’t make a decision without the lines then you shouldn’t be giving it.

I’m 100% in favour of using video replays but I’m 100% against introducing trigonometry to football.
If it cant be ruled offside in 5-10 secs, its not offside, easy as hell (unless there is something other than a line being drawn that is the reason it takes longer, like vs Newcastle when they had to check if Davinson played the ball)...if its that close, you cant be sure you freeze the image at the exact correct moment etc and therefor cant be sure its offside or not.

It makes me think there's mileage in 352 and any one of Kulu, Lucas, Gil, Spence in that role.
That’s interesting and I hadn’t thought about it that way. Theoretically in 3-5-2, you should be playing higher wing backs (or the outside CMs need to fill that winger space). Also, with the 3 CMs you could get more defensive cover with higher wing backs.

That’s interesting and I hadn’t thought about it that way. Theoretically in 3-5-2, you should be playing higher wing backs (or the outside CMs need to fill that winger space). Also, with the 3 CMs you could get more defensive cover with higher wing backs.

More central presence too when out of possession; which has been a problem a lot of this season.

More central presence too when out of possession; which has been a problem a lot of this season.
Our problem in 3-5-2 is that our wing backs aren’t playing any higher than the 3-4-3 so it’s like we are just missing wingers. Occasionally son might be able to get out there but not Kane

Against Newcastle, we saw Skipp filling that RW space… I’m not a huge fan of that because I think a winger at RWB can really cause problems for the opposition.

27409abc4929c7f56fee863755559e04.jpg

Unfortunately this is what happens when you use technology to enforce rules to a silly degree. No human lines person would be able to judge that offside with their eyes. No human player would be able to keep their knee behind the ball in that split second either.

Really I think they should just do away with the offside lines altogether. All they should use is the raw video. You can (quickly) produce a clear angle that shows offside to the naked eye? Then give offside. If you can’t make a decision without the lines then you shouldn’t be giving it.

I’m 100% in favour of using video replays but I’m 100% against introducing trigonometry to football.
I totally agree with what you are saying but I think the issue with that is they would be leaving themselves wide open. Drawing a line, despite there being a debate to be had about how accurate that line can actually be in this sort of scenario, presents a 'black and white' basis for the decision arrived at. There is no real grounds for that to be challenged.

The lines are here to stay I'm afraid.

OK, so why was this goal given?

"Anthony Taylor made a correct decision based on the existing law and its official interpretation," said Roseti. The goal stood"

"France striker Mbappe was in an offside position but was played onside after Spain defender Eric Garcia made slight contact with the ball when he stretched to intercept Theo Hernandez's pass."

"The goal - which won France the Nations League - stood because Garcia's touch created a new phase of play with Fifa's rules stating "a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball... is not considered to have gained an advantage"

WHAT IS GOING ON???????????????
That defender slides for the ball (deliberate). but in our game, the Sporting defender, while trying to get back has the ball headed onto his knee (accidental).

I think I've accepted that this was actually the right call (TECHNICALLY). But it's a ridiculous decision for the game. Utter bullshit. Even the way they drew the lines was suspect. Pricks.

In a presser today, Conte was urging the club to get stuck into UEFA alongside him over the crap last night......

war-the-day-today.gif

:levystare::contepoint:

Last edited:
What did come out yesterday is that Gil has something to offer, but then I’ve thought that each time he gets his five minutes at the end of a losing game.
He's gotten 5 minutes to change something in a game, which is disgusting because that amount of time flies by simply because of time-wasting.
Yesterday he got 25 minutes and completely turned the game on its head.

The kid has proven his point. If he still doesn't get used, then that's stubbornness by Conte.

So basically, assuming the lines drawn were accurate, Kane was very slightly ahead of the last defender AND also very slightly ahead of the ball itself. So according to the rules he is offside.

It’s just so frustrating because normally these types of offsides are not condensed into 1cm of the pitch. Normally you’d see this type of offside given when both assister and scorer are way beyond the last line of defence and the scorer gets caught slightly ahead of the ball when it’s passed to them.

Great point well made, we’re trying to calculate Pythagorean theorems in the middle of a football match it is ridiculous
Except they're not even doing that, by all accounts they're drawing lines without any sort of accuracy or theory behind them, just some dude on MS Paint throwing them on the screen. Embarrassing that they can deem such small calls as 'asbolutes' when clearly the technology and process they are following is prone to many degrees of error.

Back
Top Bottom