Right bed wetters, it's time to man up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably been said already, but the best bit about last night was that when we conceded, we got behind the team. Urged them on rather than all moaning.

Then for some unknown reason it stopped once we had got level.

:avbshock:

th

Its time!!!

In fairness to Scotty, his directness seems to be born from the fact that the rest of the midfield can be so static. It makes me laugh that he used to get sledged for passing sideways (when there were no decent forward options a lot of the time) and now he is being sledged for taking men on (when there are still no decent forward options).

The only part of his game that really gets on my nerves (aside from his sometimes very stray passing) is when he one touch passes directly back to to the defence when he has bags of room behind him and ends up putting us under pressure. But that is happening less and less frequently as he seems to be trying to emulate Dembele a little... It'll most likely lead to it's own problems, but Scotty at present compaired to when he came back from injury is vastly different, so I can't comlain.

Chicken and egg I think to be honest. Perhaps the movement is poor because they know he is going to do a jinky run and hold the ball too long!

I feel strongly that his strengths are neither carrying the ball or incisive passing (or releasing the ball quickly enough).

I think he is outstanding in a Makelele like role though, and would benefit the team massively were he to play that game instead of the Gerrard wannabe captain marvel stuff he tries now.

Chicken and egg I think to be honest. Perhaps the movement is poor because they know he is going to do a jinky run and hold the ball too long!

I feel strongly that his strengths are neither carrying the ball or incisive passing (or releasing the ball quickly enough).
I don't think so personally. Poor movement is poor movement. The amount of times that our CMs drop deep or to the wing and nobody fills up the midfield space is shocking imo. I know it's difficult to concentrate when we are playing so badly (it is for me anyway, I'm usually screaming blue murder), but next time just count in your head the amount of times you see a great big void between the centre circle and the box where one of our players should be popping up to offer an outlet. Sometimes it is even a question of side stepping 1 yard to show you're an option.

Instead, we end up passing back and forth in the same area of wing between the same two or three players in ever shorter and tighter angles until we lose possession or someone hoofs it and we lose possession.

In that respect I think rugby and football are very similar games. Whichever team is quicker and more prepared to support the ball carrier invariably wins, it's that simple and it's why Barca win so many games at a strole.

I don't think so personally. Poor movement is poor movement. The amount of times that our CMs drop deep or to the wing and nobody fills up the midfield space is shocking imo. I know it's difficult to concentrate when we are playing so badly (it is for me anyway, I'm usually screaming blue murder), but next time just count in your head the amount of times you see a great big void between the centre circle and the box where one of our players should be popping up to offer an outlet. Sometimes it is even a question of side stepping 1 yard to show you're an option.

Instead, we end up passing back and forth in the same area of wing between the same two or three players in ever shorter and tighter angles until we lose possession or someone hoofs it and we lose possession.

In that respect I think rugby and football are very similar games. Whichever team is quicker and more prepared to support the ball carrier invariably wins, it's that simple and it's why Barca win so many games at a strole.
This is why we should really consider playing Holtby as the CAM and Dempsey/Ceballos/McEvoy/Pritchard/[insert other highly rated youth] on the right if Lennon is out. Holtby has proved in ever appearance he's made that he always seeks the ball carrier to give him an option, that's an invaluable feature for us at the moment.

Mock him all you want, but I think he's right. There does need to be a huge dose of reality for a lot of fans.

The problem is that football in the modern era is as much a ruthless business as it is a sport. If anything most fans of most clubs get wrapped up in the notion of glory, be it trophies, big games, star players or whatever else. This tends to put on the rose tinted glasses that converts hope into expectation. Fans then get pissed off when their over inflated expectations aren't fulfilled and they see other teams doing better,or getting a trophy they never won. For me, having started following the club when we are pretty fucking shit, it is with huge incredulity that I now see the lack of spirit and booiing that happens. People have short memories, and they also do not realise than as much as they are fans of the game, they're also consumers of the modern business. The latter is not grasped by a great deal of them.

ArcspacE ArcspacE is right in so much as there needs to be a dose of good hard reality about where Spurs sit in the grand scheme of things. Like it or not, we have to compete in the business side of football and, at present, we are not anywhere close to top of the tree. If anything our current league position and the quality of our squad is a testament to Levy's business abilities (irrepsective of his football abilities) in so much as we are probably in a better position than our wage structure, stadium and financial capital currently allows.

Fans have to appreciate that success in business does not come overnight and the business element is a fundamental part of the modern game. We have made huge strides in the last 15 years. People must be patient and realise that as long as we take little steps each year in the right direction then sooner or later we will start to get the success they long for. They need to get away from this idea that "I've paid my money and I want it all now, now, now". That's simply not how it works. Christ, so many fans these days, of this club and others, remind me of the Veruca Salt character from Willy Wonka and her "I want a golden goose daddy" song.
I feel you may have missed the point somewhat.

I'm inclined to disagree with one thing, what is becoming clearer (anecdotal) that there are a great many fans who don't need the 'dose of reality' as good folk like yourself exhibit enough cynicism and appreciate the bigger picture. The graphs and stats do not derive proof of expectation, only that we are a business with a turnover of less than other clubs and a bottom line has been achieved.

I have still yet to see any evidence that those who boo, are doing so for any specific reason, or that 'the fans' as a collective have an expectation exceeding our ability. On this forum alone I have yet to see the phrase 'we deserve to be top....' used in anger except in jest.

You above all people should understand the difference between objectivity, subjectivity, speculation and the burden of proof.

But as you're my 'rep bitch' I'll let this one lie. Who knows I might even buy you an overcooked and underwhelming pastry again, one day.

This is why we should really consider playing Holtby as the CAM and Dempsey/Ceballos/McEvoy/Pritchard/[insert other highly rated youth] on the right if Lennon is out. Holtby has proved in ever appearance he's made that he always seeks the ball carrier to give him an option, that's an invaluable feature for us at the moment.
I wouldn't argue with that. AVB needs to sit him down and let him know he has time... Both on the pitch and off it. All the flicks and one touch passing is too much at the moment as he doesn't really seem to know his teamates movements... Slow it down a fraction and I think he'd be a great asset for the rest of the season.

He can start with the flare once he's got a preseason under his belt imo.

I know what you mean, I just think perhaps we see the situation from different angles.

There are certainly many occasions where the movement isnt there (or the players arent on similar wavelengths), though I dont think it is as bad as it was a season or two ago.

As a counter to your exercise - count in your mind the number of times Parker gets the ball, there is a forward pass if he releases it quickly, and he instead dwells on the ball/turns away to play it back or to Walker.

It is for this reason Im interested in the idea of Holtby/Dembele in CM, Holtby releases the ball very quickly. Im not sure it would be a real success, but I think its certainly worth a try.

whisper it, but SOME Spurs fans are right cunts... they jumped on the bandwagon at what they thought would be the 'Spurs Boom' in 2010-11, tagged along for the glory ride in the CL, then wondered (and moaned) at why it wasn't being repeated every year since then...
yes there are some pwopa old school moaners at the Lane too, one's who have been moaning since we came back into the Top flight in '78... but at least they've earned their stripes to have a whinge...

With the newbie fans, comes the newbie whinger, and it's starting to rub off on some others!!!

:avbshit: :freundgoal:

whisper it, but SOME Spurs fans are right cunts... they jumped on the bandwagon at what they thought would be the 'Spurs Boom' in 2010-11, tagged along for the glory ride in the CL, then wondered (and moaned) at why it wasn't being repeated every year since then...
yes there are some pwopa old school moaners at the Lane too, one's who have been moaning since we came back into the Top flight in '78... but at least they've earned their stripes to have a whinge...

With the newbie fans, comes the newbie whinger, and it's starting to rub off on some others!!!

:avbshit: :freundgoal:

I dont know about these "newbie fans" to be honest. Who are they? Where are they? WHL is shit because of "newbies"?

It dont make much sense to me. Why did all the ST's stop going from the Jol years....when we had a fucking ENORMOUS atmosphere. Those days were party all the way. We sang to make a point that while we were behind Chelsea and Scum on the pitch, we still pissed on them with our support.

I guess I just answered the question.

Probably been said already, but the best bit about last night was that when we conceded, we got behind the team. Urged them on rather than all moaning.

Then for some unknown reason it stopped once we had got level.

:avbshock:
I had a great time until we equalised and everything went flat. I was so confused. Saw you and Cole as you were leaving as well.

I dont know about these "newbie fans" to be honest. Who are they? Where are they? WHL is shit because of "newbies"?

It dont make much sense to me. Why did all the ST's stop going from the Jol years....when we had a fucking ENORMOUS atmosphere. Those days were party all the way. We sang to make a point that while we were behind Chelsea and Scum on the pitch, we still pissed on them with our support.

I guess I just answered the question.
the amount of tourists I saw all over the place last night was ridiculous. There has definitely been an influx of supporters since our CL run who expect "glory". And those ST holders have been priced out, they were there in our shit years of course they'd want to be here now that we're half decent.

the amount of tourists I saw all over the place last night was ridiculous. There has definitely been an influx of supporters since our CL run who expect "glory". And those ST holders have been priced out, they were there in our shit years of course they'd want to be here now that we're half decent.

To be fair, its not like STs went up 500 quid since Jol. PL Lower is around 800 now, but what was it in 2006?
The noisiest fans are the away fans, yet you can spend anything up to 300 quid on an away day. Some people spend more.

Those noisy fans are hardly skint, they just prefer away games.

Back
Top Bottom