Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
Ndombele was sought after for years
He was deemed the key signing
He looked excellent for Lyon
He’s our record 64M signing
Now he looks like another CM that the game passes by

Can someone tell me how this is ENICs fault
FWIW I think this bloke is still the balls but remains to be seen whether the current manager or another one will get the best out of him.

So winning a title of a division of where you are the best team of 24 over 46 games is not comparable to scraping through a group then playing 3 two legged games (losing two) and then getting humped in the final?

No you’re right it’s not.

A cup run is a cup run. Lose the final and you’ve achieved nothing to be frank.
No its does not compare to playing and beating the best in Europe and getting to the final. But if you think that you should hope we get relegated so that we can go for the champship next season, fuck the top 4.

After Spurs narrowly missed winning the title in 2090, John Thomas puts the blame on Levy for failing to sign any players in 2018

Just fuck off you boring cunt

It’s 2019 dickhead.

The problems now are rooted in the last two years.

This is not some knee jerk reaction. Our form over a calendar year has gone from being title winners to mid table also rans who can’t win away.

You want to keep your head buried in the sand though then crack on.

Yeah poor Poch only being given a squad contains Kane, Ali, Eriksen, Ndombele, Son, Moura, Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderwield to name a few.

Poor Poch for being given a contract for £8 million a year making him one the highest paid managers.

Poor Poch for having to work in state of the art training facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world.

What a compete fiend Levy is for inflicting this on our manager. How could any coach be expected to beat the likes of Newcastle and Leicester in such circumstance?

I mainly feel sorry for our match day old school fans. Being charged top dollar to watch a mid table team go through the motions.

And on the few occasions you get genuinely excited being told to sit back down like naughty school children.

In no world do I foresee a scenario where we sack Poch, and nor should we. When Poch goes, I am positive several of this team will leave. Even though we have been shocking in 2019 (CL run aside) this is still the best collection of Spurs players I have seen at this club. I can't see anybody coming in and maintaining the level of consistent Champions League football if we were to lose the core of this team.

Guardiola spoke in his press conference yesterday about Arteta taking over from him, Klopp has spoken about leaving within a couple of seasons as well. I can't see these guys both still being here by the time the 2022 WC rolls around, I think Klopp is getting the absolute max out of their team and I can't see them becoming a powerhouse for five years just because of the players they have and City might have all the money in the world but we saw with previous managers it doesn't always turn out as good as it has with Pep.

We need to be on hand ready to pounce when those guys leave and the new managers are bedding in, that is part of why Leicester were able to win the league - they pounced at the perfect time when some clubs were in transition periods. That year City had Pellegrini as coach knowing full well Guardiola would be coming in, United were managed by van Gaal and still picking up the pieces from Fergie, Liverpool started the season with Rodgers already half-sacked and was gone by October, Chelsea of course had Mourinho but that all went remarkably wrong, Wenger was well past his used by date and we were only just coming up with our new manager in his second season. There will come a point when this City and Liverpool monopoly is over and we can challenge again and we have to make sure we are primed and ready for that time.

I'm not singing his praises because of what he is doing now this season. Read my post. I'm praising what he has done for the club over the 9 or 10 years (in total consisting of two spells as manager there) he has been there, from what they were when he took over to what they are now.

They may get relegated this season, that doesn't take away from him what he has helped achieve at Bournemouth.

Having said all that I'm not asking for him to replace Poch now or at any time in the future. He will probably be one of many candidates that Levy will look at when or if the time comes that Poch goes/is sacked

The manager with the magic wand is one in a million so all this talk of naming names based on their last decade is total bollocks for if he was that man he would have done it already.

The buck stops with the players and their desire - if they have none it’s not going to happen so stop pretending you know how to or know someone that knows how to inspire multi- millionaire twenty five year olds that play sport for a living!

No its does not compare to playing and beating the best in Europe and getting to the final. But if you think that you should hope we get relegated so that we can go for the champship next season, fuck the top 4.

Poch couldn’t win the Champo mate.....

Kind of the point here.
You’re still talking as if losing the CL final is an accomplishment. It’s fucking embarrassing

In no world do I foresee a scenario where we sack Poch, and nor should we. When Poch goes, I am positive several of this team will leave. Even though we have been shocking in 2019 (CL run aside) this is still the best collection of Spurs players I have seen at this club. I can't see anybody coming in and maintaining the level of consistent Champions League football if we were to lose the core of this team.

Guardiola spoke in his press conference yesterday about Arteta taking over from him, Klopp has spoken about leaving within a couple of seasons as well. I can't see these guys both still being here by the time the 2022 WC rolls around, I think Klopp is getting the absolute max out of their team and I can't see them becoming a powerhouse for five years just because of the players they have and City might have all the money in the world but we saw with previous managers it doesn't always turn out as good as it has with Pep.

We need to be on hand ready to pounce when those guys leave and the new managers are bedding in, that is part of why Leicester were able to win the league - they pounced at the perfect time when some clubs were in transition periods. That year City had Pellegrini as coach knowing full well Guardiola would be coming in, United were managed by van Gaal and still picking up the pieces from Fergie, Liverpool started the season with Rodgers already half-sacked and was gone by October, Chelsea of course had Mourinho but that all went remarkably wrong, Wenger was well past his used by date and we were only just coming up with our new manager in his second season. There will come a point when this City and Liverpool monopoly is over and we can challenge again and we have to make sure we are primed and ready for that time.
Thats the attitude we need there mate, bide our time until city and liverpool hopefully drop off and their managers leave then pounce like we did when EVERY top team was shite and Leicester won it ahead of us.

Thats the attitude we need there mate, bide our time until city and liverpool hopefully drop off and their managers leave then pounce like we did when EVERY top team was shite and Leicester won it ahead of us.
It's being realistic, there is no chance we are getting close to City and Liverpool at the moment - they are the two best teams in the world right now and this squad is miles away from both of those sides. What would sacking Poch achieve? We are shit at the moment but we will still get top 4 (I think so anyway). So if we are sacking him what is the purpose?

Ndombele was sought after for years
He was deemed the key signing
He looked excellent for Lyon
He’s our record 64M signing
Now he looks like another CM that the game passes by

Can someone tell me how this is ENICs fault
Was he really sought after for years?!
Defo Zaha was sought after
Never heard of him until this summer, I have heard of Mpabe.
Apparently he was excellent against city at the etihad CL match and that’s only one match
I wouldn’t have gone for him based on his physique not suited for pl
Better of signing Maddison or even Zaha or any other PL try and tested player for less than 64M

Last edited:
It's being realistic, there is no chance we are getting close to City and Liverpool at the moment - they are the two best teams in the world right now and this squad is miles away from both of those sides. What would sacking Poch achieve? We are shit at the moment but we will still get top 4 (I think so anyway). So if we are sacking him what is the purpose?
I never advocated sacking Poch and I don't think we should or will but hoping that two rich well backed sides with the best two managers in world football will drop off or lose their managers so we can have a stab at winning a title is pathetic if we really want to be a top team.
Yes, we are miles behind them-last year was the first time we finished below liverpool in 6 years tho and city have been untouchable for two years but if we don't have the stomach, manager or players to challenge them head on wtf is the point in even watching football any more? We have and have had a hugely talented bunch of players for years now and consistently been top four so why can't we have a go at them from this platform after signing three of Poch real targets this summer??

I have abstained for this poll.
ENIC and Levy have poor record in hiring and firing managers. Even worse for trophies.
Poch has been excellent and lucky too. He is in love with himself.
It has been disastrous PL results in 2019
How much is the financial loss on missing CL place? Weigh it and that will decide the action Levy will take.
For the next weeks I want Poch to stay and sort the mess.

If he is to leave, I want to see him being brave decent and resign.

PS. He wants to leave based on his conflicting news conferences.
PS2. I am getting used to the football of the 90s

Last edited:
It’s 2019 dickhead.

The problems now are rooted in the last two years.

This is not some knee jerk reaction. Our form over a calendar year has gone from being title winners to mid table also rans who can’t win away.

You want to keep your head buried in the sand though then crack on.
If your IQ is so low that you couldn't figure out that I was just bashing Thomas' pushy agenda then there's not much left to discuss with you.

If your IQ is so low that you couldn't figure out that I was just bashing Thomas' pushy agenda then there's not much left to discuss with you.

His “pushy agenda” is spot on.

Why ignore last summer? I have supported John on a number of points about last season, the facts are clear to see if you open your eyes and look.

For instance the state of the squad and the mentality right now. Which Poch himself is questioning.

But yeah it’s an agenda.......

I can’t sympathise with this rebuild thing either though to be fair. In six years he’s lost Walker and Dembele.

I’m not sure what he’s rebuilding. It’s practically the same squad with the addition of a supposedly top drawer CM.

All the turmoil is self inflicted:

He dumped an on fire Davies who was a key player in the run of 1 defeat in some 22 games, and reintroduced a big mouth know it all who slagged off the entire club and said he was leaving in the papers. He then held talks on deadline day but is still somehow our first choice LB. Rose is average as fuck, and Davies form has suffered from his sheer mismanagement.

He treated Trippier with disdain giving the player no option but to leave for greater pastures. He fucked him off after one poor injury ravaged season, yet stuck with Lamela for nearly two years off the pitch.
He outcasted Aurier for months on end. KWP made a very good debut two seasons ago, but was not seen for nearly 18 months after that.
Now hes trying to hone Sanchez into a RB and leaving two actual RBs out.

Toby wasn’t committed so he was dropped.
Sanchez stepped in and was excellent with Jan for half that season.
Like Davies, he is then dropped and given a bit part role as thanks. Form went to shit.

Eriksen hasn’t signed a new contract since 2016. Poch has been hell bent on keeping a player that was clearly going to run his contract down, and turns up when he feels like it.
We’ve had Moura, Son, Lamela and Winks who could have all been deployed in his space over the last season as we tried to phase him out.
Instead we just start this season with Eriksen on the bench, even though he deemed LoCelso not ready to play.

Jan in the middle of the summer says how he wants to sign a new deal and stay here at Spurs.
A month later he’s dropped with a black eye.

Dele has been shite. Yet if he’s fit, he plays.
No rebuild needed there, it’s the same player he always picked.

Kane plays every second he can walk. While his cover have both been let go and no second striker even looked at.

Wanyama is basically called a charity case by the manager in the press, then almost sold on deadline day......you expect commitment and motivation if and when he’s thrown into the pitch out of desperation in 4 months in some random game we are losing with ten minutes left?

Dier despite injuries has just been completely fucked off, because seemingly Dele is a deep lying CM.

So here we are.....it’s not a rebuild, it’s a re hash.
A jumbled up crap version of 2016, and it’s all on the manager for not managing the situation in front of him.
So painful to see in black and white, but I can't disagree with anything stated.

Back
Top Bottom