January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As it stands right now , I 'd give this window 2 or 3 out of 10. Timo we won't be signing. We signed a CB that we were supposed to sign in the summer. Even with that we moved so painfully slow probably because we we wanted to pay the 30m over 50 years, that we let Bayern into the mix and take the deal away from us.
I'd probably be a little more generous and maybe go a solid 4. Only due to the fact we haven't actually weakened the squad even further following the sale of Kane in the summer.
A mid price prospect at centre half who hopefully comes good, (as you say, half a season too late) and a Chav flop freebie on loan who I think has a point to prove and should do well
Considering our huge financial advantage, it ain't great, is it.

Last edited:
Look I'm going to say..I got reservations right now about this guy and a dressing room with Manor Solomon in it...yeah..I know . I just...I just worry.
Pondering Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga
No one should be denied employment opportunities because of their ethnicity and the presumption that footballers would behave in an unprofessional manner based on their ethnicity is unconscionable.

And most of those you mention are shown and included in the piece.

The real truth is there are way too many factors that influence improvements, for me at least none more so than the manager. And even here the data will show that there's no such thing as a "new manager bounce" (at least over a 6 month period, as opposed to a two or 5 game period).

The one thing that I "feel" with Spurs right now is that our hires (the majority under Paratici) have improved the squad in every window and that the team has largely been built with an eye on the future rather than the here and now. In conjunction, there is no denying that we have a new manager who has transformed how we play and despite one of the worst injury-hit seasons, I think I've ever known (for comparison look at how Newcastle, Utd., and now Villa have performed with similar but arguably not as significant injury lists). The Bentancur/Kulu is a good point but ONLY if you look in the 6 months period after they were signed, did we improve the following year that led to Conte getting sacked? No, we were worse, went backwards. The point here is at what point do you assess the impact of a new signing, 1st 6 months, 12 months, 18 months etc.....???

I'm as confident about our ability as a club (as a whole - The structure of DoF and technical role, reports of us still using Paratici, Ange and his team, and the academy) since the peak Poch years. On the whole, I like our recruitment, judging that solely on the players we've brought in and even by those that haven't quite worked out yet and ones we didn't bring in as I feel the profile of these players has been by and large wholly spot on, demonstrating also a more joined-up strategic thinking.

The only thing I would say is, with everyone else unable to add to their squads, this might have been a really good opportunity to get a jump on our rivals, and even if you don’t get a now uptick, you get a player bedded in and ready for pre season in the summer.

I think our forward options are so weak, if we made the right purchase it would be hard not to get an immediate uptick if we spent smart.

I'd probably be a little more generous and maybe go a solid 4. Only due to the fact we haven't actually weakened the squad even further following the sale of Kane in the summer.
A mid price prospect at centre half who hopefully comes good, (as you say, half a season too late) and a Chav flop freebie on loan.
Considering our huge financial advantage, it ain't great, is it.
Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

As it stands right now , I 'd give this window 2 or 3 out of 10. Timo we won't be signing. We signed a CB that we were supposed to sign in the summer. Even with that we moved so painfully slow probably because we we wanted to pay the 30m over 50 years, that we let Bayern into the mix and take the deal away from us.

Well to balance that nonsense out, I’ll give it a 15 out of 10.

Yeah overall good window for January. There wasn’t an obvious deal that would improve our CM room, no legit takers for Hojbjerg. A bit disappointing the Nusa saga but with the injury news that seems to be a bullet dodged.

Ultimately we got two players in positions of clear need and didn’t break the bank to do so, and even got a small fee for Dier. Happy days.
I am reliably informed that our much maligned medical team called it in Nusa. Whilst the back issues were fairly well known, apparently they took one look at him running around and said he had floating cartilage in his knee.

True story ...

Yes a CB back up in the summer would have been great but whether that's because we couldn't shift Dier or because we couldn't get the right player at the right price I don't know.

You can only base this window on who we actually bring in this window even if you think they should have been signed sooner. Don't go back dating transfers otherwise you'll never be happy.

No one should be denied employment opportunities because of their ethnicity and the presumption that footballers would behave in an unprofessional manner based on their ethnicity is unconscionable.
FFS he didnt mean anything by that, it was CLEARLY a little joke, light hearted banter, change your panties and put on some boxers, might help you stop getting triggered and making mountains out of ant hills:maddisonshh:

Back
Top Bottom