January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is what I'm saying more than Leao specifically. I know we aren't getting Leao...I don't see any reason financially why we shouldn't but also understand that players like that are usually vanity signings for rich owners putting their own money in and our owners don't do that.

The young Swedish guy Bardgji has been compared to Hazrd but left footed. Not sure personally. You are right that there isn't one in the prem right now. Liverpool built their challenge to City on pressing, pace, and clinical finishers like Mane and Salah. Son is a bit like that, I guess we saw Johnson as having that kind of ceiling. City are built on passing forwards and even players like Grealish (eventually Doku) Pep converts them into pass first system guys eventually.

My eyes all over Soule

That’s bollocks though isn’t it?

Liverpool bought Suarez in January and it improved them.

We bought benatancur and kulusevski it did the same.

Redknapp bought 3 players off us when at Pompey and it saved them.

2 points from 8 games season we bought palacios. Keane and Defoe back and it helped set us up to get fourth soon after.

There’s plenty of examples when the January window is good. But at the other end of the scale you have Torres/Carroll.
Exactly. The read on that is: "there are equal examples of both".

But, as Cranston says above, it's about sustaining performance, and the chart reflects that that probably does work (since the bulk is in the middle).

That’s bollocks though isn’t it?

Liverpool bought Suarez in January and it improved them.

We bought benatancur and kulusevski it did the same.

Redknapp bought 3 players off us when at Pompey and it saved them.

2 points from 8 games season we bought palacios. Keane and Defoe back and it helped set us up to get fourth soon after.

There’s plenty of examples when the January window is good. But at the other end of the scale you have Torres/Carroll.
And most of those you mention are shown and included in the piece.

The real truth is there are way too many factors that influence improvements, for me at least none more so than the manager. And even here the data will show that there's no such thing as a "new manager bounce" (at least over a 6 month period, as opposed to a two or 5 game period).

The one thing that I "feel" with Spurs right now is that our hires (the majority under Paratici) have improved the squad in every window and that the team has largely been built with an eye on the future rather than the here and now. In conjunction, there is no denying that we have a new manager who has transformed how we play and despite one of the worst injury-hit seasons, I think I've ever known (for comparison look at how Newcastle, Utd., and now Villa have performed with similar but arguably not as significant injury lists). The Bentancur/Kulu is a good point but ONLY if you look in the 6 months period after they were signed, did we improve the following year that led to Conte getting sacked? No, we were worse, went backwards. The point here is at what point do you assess the impact of a new signing, 1st 6 months, 12 months, 18 months etc.....???

I'm as confident about our ability as a club (as a whole - The structure of DoF and technical role, reports of us still using Paratici, Ange and his team, and the academy) since the peak Poch years. On the whole, I like our recruitment, judging that solely on the players we've brought in and even by those that haven't quite worked out yet and ones we didn't bring in as I feel the profile of these players has been by and large wholly spot on, demonstrating also a more joined-up strategic thinking.

We definitely need someone special in our front line that could turn defeats into draws and draws into wins. At the moment I don’t think we have had the front three click at the same time and sometimes all three are off it. It’s probably the final part of the jigsaw of how we become challengers. Only Sonny has that star quality but he has a lot of off days. The big thing for me is how untidy our front players can be,not clinical enough and their decision making in the final third lets us down. Maybe we’ll see that improve when Madders is back in and up to full fitness but we can’t expect it all to click because of Madders.
Spot on including the Son comment.

Isn’t the premise slightly flawed?

You wouldn’t expect to see an uptick in points. January is about consolidating and maintaining your trajectory.
Yep, agree but I also think it goes way beyond and deeper than that. When is the measure applied from the date of signing to the end of the season? Brian Fantana Brian Fantana rightly just brought up the impact of Kulu and Bentancur when we signed them in Jan, we totally kicked on post-Jan and they were ever present in that team BUT we totally regressed the following year and they were in the team, so do we put that down to them?

There's a whole bunch of stuff to consider. Ultimately every window should see incremental team improvement be that in the long and short-term view.

The Asprilla effect...
One of my favourite PL players ever.

I think United felt the same when they hired Van Persey, but perhaps they lost sight of the fact that they had the best manager, an already great squad under the spell of their manager and could do what Bayern always do, buy an elite player just when they need one and more importantly weaken your direct rival at exactly the same time.

That Ted Hughes denying clown 🤡 disagreeing with facts again, Blakey :harrylol:
He is not disagreeing with facts, he has clearly articulated to you that there are different ways of measuring profit, and the one used in your list is inappropriate / naive in the context of our club. He has made the effort to explain a more appropriate industry-recognised definiton of 'profit', and how it relates to us, as he clearly understands such things. If you don't understand it, or don't understand financial accounting generally, and hence have nothing intelligent to say on the topic, the wisest course of action is probably to stop talking about it (or maybe go and educate yourself so that future contributions actually demonstrate some kind of basic understanding of the topic).

One of my favourite PL players ever.

I think United felt the same when they hired Van Persey, but perhaps they lost sight of the fact that they had the best manager, an already great squad under the spell of their manager and could do what Bayern always do, buy an elite player just when they need one and more importantly weaken your direct rival at exactly the same time.
Always nice to have that plan B option especially when the incoming player is established international quality like RVP and you don't need to consider sell on value. Most clubs now - even Chavs - seem to factor this into their spending and recruitment strategies. I'd say we're currently better than most other EPL clubs at this.

Hopefully we keep our best young players and build the squad around the likes of MVDV, Udogie, Porro, Sarr over the next 5 - 10 years which should see us sustain title challenges. Just need Citeh to fuck off down to L2 first!

Back
Top Bottom