2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the hallmarks of all small over-achieving nations, look at Wales two years ago.

Iceland may be the only exception
It's a default underdog position. Many top teams will take this position despite being serial winners. Croatia with a population of 4m will undoubtably taken this position. There manger would have been pushing and pushing this narrative, telling them the press think this, England think that of you, twisting what ever narrative he chose to support it.

Modric moaned about British journalists saying you'd be tired when it was a Croatia journo who had an article on FIFA saying that exact thing.

Anyway, what should he have said? We have no chance? No point in turning up?

If we've been 'lucky' with our draw then so have Croatia.

Denmark, Russia, England. Two defeated on pens, one in ET.

Talk about making hard work of it!

Allez Les Bleus!

They were hoping we can do it, but not at all that confident.
You all saw what Roy Keane said last night. He's right.
For a country that has won even less than us on the international stage you're very chippy.

Roy Keane is a guy that abandoned his country on the eve of a World Cup.

What he knows about competing in international tournament you could write on a napkin.

My point is Kane is the more versatile player because of this he filled the void of not having classic 10 in the squad (Lallana would have played that role had he been fit), also in midfield we lacked a creative player in a double pivot, the player next to the DM, a player who dictates play from a deeper position (Winks/Dembele also Eriksen does this to great effect for us).

England were without these two type of players and Kane was seen as the best compromise to this (laid bare in yesterday's game) and in the other games he shared this role with Sterling with both of them alternating during a game, both however with slight differences around their strengths and weakness in terms of running/sprinting, but for simplicity sake in previous games in the tournament they took turns to drop into the hole while one went more advanced.

The issue wasn't up top, it was in midfield. This was what we were missing and in the absence of a player to fill these spaces we used mainly Kane but Sterling too.

Mate, you're re-enforcing a lot that i've already acknowledged in prev posts on the subject of Sterling (& Kane).

Regardless of what we don't have in our talent pool - it is what it is - we pressumably set up the way we did to compensate and the prevailing question remains...

Would you stick with Sterling ahead of Kane moving fwd?

Or would you prefer, like me, to see him as the focal point of our attack and furthermore, as our best player, set up to seek to get the most out of him...?

I've already said, i don't think GS could have got much more out of the collective so this is not an outright criticism, but nonetheless one of the quandries we face post-WC.

The other; We need 2 of Dele, Sterling, Rashdord & Lingard to step up and own a position otherwise we're doomed to spend the next 4 years chopping and changing like we used to CMs during the 'Golden Gen'.

Beyond....

Pickford's staked his claim and he's still just a kid..

I think we'll see another CB step up alongside Stones & HMcG and thus shift Walker back solely into the RB pool (will he struggle against the superior product of Trips and TAA..? Also, noting KWP is a world cup winner at his age and Trips's age, this will be intriguing over the coming years whilst we look set in the long term).

Young's inclusion was a case of circumstance (Rose & Utd.). Also factoring in AYs age, DR will be back to duking it out with Bertrand for LB and pressumably prevail if he get's his club game back on track.

Vardy, Welbeck, Cahill, Hart also done.

Lots to sort out b4 Euro20... I hope we don't piss away most of our opportunity to address it being 'experimental' with Harry Kane.

Last edited:
I also will welcome back Lallana, Ox, Shelvey and Bertrand into the squad. High hopes for the likes of Foden, Sancho, Lookman and Walker-Peters.

I guarantee now that England will win something within the next 6 years, the next three tournaments.
You assume that other countries, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Portugal and many others will stand still and allow England to get better without resistance. The future is bright for England if you accept all the spin. At this moment of time, you can say its good. Time will tell and allow true judgement on where they are as a team. They've made a Semi final of the WC, will anything less now be seen as failure? Anyone who only follows the WC will see England as world beaters because the media said so. We all know football can be cruel and expectations are sometimes over shadowed by reality.

They were hoping we can do it, but not at all that confident.
You all saw what Roy Keane said last night. He's right.

Only non-English people would agree with what Roy Keane said though.

Not sure why he's even there considering he left his country high and dry during the 2002 World Cup. Just seems to be there to be controversial and rile up English pundits.

There is nothing disrespectful about thinking about a final. This was England's best chance of a final in decades. Excuse us for getting excited over it.

Most of us however knew Croatia would be tough. Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Kovacic (even if he barely played), Perisic. Would all get into this England team. Modric alone has won more trophies than every single one of our England players put together.

Do you think the players were thinking of a final? Do you think Southgate was thinking about a final? I don't think they were.

Mate, you're re-enforcing a lot that i've already acknowledged in prev posts on the subject of Sterling (& Kane).

Regardless of what we don't have in our talent pool - it is what it is - we pressumably set up the way we did to compensate and the prevailing question remains...

Or would you prefer, like me, to see him as the focal point of our attack and furthermore, as our best player, set up to seek to get the most out of him...?

I've already said, i don't think GS could have got much more out of the collective so this is not an outright criticism, but nonetheless one of the quandries we face post-WC.

The other; We need 2 of Dele, Sterling, Rashdord & Lingard need step up and own a position otherwise we're doomed to spend the next 4 years chopping amd changing like we used to CMs during the 'Golden Gen'.

Beyond....

I think we'll see another CB step up alongside Stones & HMcG and thus shift Walker back solely into the RB pool (will he struggle against the superior product of Trips and TAA..? Also, noting KWP is a world cup winner at his age and Trips's age, this will be intriguing over the coming years whilst we look set in the long term).

Young's inclusion was a case of circumstance (Rose & Utd.). Also factoring in AYs age, DR will be back to duking it out with Bertrand for LB and pressumably prevail if he get's his club game back on track.

Lots to sort out b4 Euro20... I hope we don't piss away most of our opportunity to address it being 'experimental' with Harry Kane.
Maybe we are saying the same thing. But there is who should be ahead of who in attack, we have the players there but it is compromised and always will be until will fix the absent creativity from central midfield (both in 10 and deeper roles), until this hole is plugged we will be looking towards some kind of compromise between Kane/Sterling/Lingard/Dele) absolutely nothing changes this.

Agree with all the other stuff.

Only non-English people would agree with what Roy Keane said though.

Not sure why he's even there considering he left his country high and dry during the 2002 World Cup. Just seems to be there to be controversial and rile up English pundits.

There is nothing disrespectful about thinking about a final. This was England's best chance of a final in decades. Excuse us for getting excited over it.

Most of us however knew Croatia would be tough. Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Kovacic (even if he barely played), Perisic. Would all get into this England team. Modric alone has won more trophies than every single one of our England players put together.

Do you think the players were thinking of a final? Do you think Southgate was thinking about a final? I don't think they were.
It's nothing disrespectful thinking about final, but it's kind of arrogant to be overconfident. That's what I saw from your pundits. But doesn't matter anymore really.

England should had go through Croatia. I don’t think anyone disagrees. But it was always a 50/50 game and England felt asleep after the break and paid the highest price for that. It was a good tournament for you but let’s get mistaken England didn’t beat anyone actually good and don’t think that would beat the likes of Belgium, France, Brazil and Uruguay. But none of this is on Southgate imo. Your team is nothing special and kinda far from the top ones.

From position to position my analysis:
Keeper: very very good Pickford.
Full backs: trippier had an amazing tournament, the best English player and the best right back in there. Congrats.
CEnter backs: Maguire is a tank, I love him. Stones had his good and moments and some bad. He’s still very unpredictable for the position. Walker? He’s not a fucking center back. Really think he’s proneness to errors makes him to much of a risk to play center back. I would rather play Jones or Dier on a heartbeat.
Left back: I fucking hate Ashley young. Next! Just saying. Delphi is a much better pretender if left back than young, and of course rose. But he had a tough season and I understand why he didn’t play there at the start of the games but young is terrible

CEnter mid: England’s biggest problems. From lampard, Gerrard, scholes and all that jazz to Henderson, dier, loftus cheek and dele(I love dele but he’s not ready to play in a duo midfield). Henderson is not a shit player but he’s not a world beater. With a better player next to him he would perform better. I would always play one of Henderson or dier depending of the opposition with loftus cheek, a strong fast and good technical player very different from the rest. Let’s hope winks accomplishes all his promises.

Wingers or attacking midfielders wtv you call it: Lingard and sterling are too much alike being the biggest sharing factor is how dumb and shit they are at finishing plays. Unbelievable how many plays they screw up and goals they miss. Almost too bad to believe. Sterling has nothing but pace and some dribbling hability but can’t score in a fucking brothel. Lingard is an alien faced cunt that only knows how to score bangers and do a stupid dance. Fucking cunt. I hope that sessegnon and Sancho step up for the euros in 2020 and dele should always start in there. Not even a question. He has to play next to goal.

Striker: harry Kane. The star. The machine. But can’t do it all alone and do it all games. Vardy only can play if the other team gives him space and rashford is seriously on dangerous of fucking is career. He needs to leaves United.

Sorry for the long text Mates.

It's nothing disrespectful thinking about final, but it's kind of arrogant to be overconfident. That's what I saw from your pundits. But doesn't matter anymore really.

Again, it was a select few. Mostly Wright and Ferdinand who were just being who they are.

Whereas Goran came out with "For sure, you are coming home, but not with the trophy" - how is that any different in terms of showing arrogance?

I have no idea about punditry in Croatia but I would assume you'd have your patriotic pundits who would have said this is Croatias best chance to get to a World Cup final in years and you'd have had the level headed pundit who would realise after 240+ minutes of knockout football, it would be a tough game.

But like you said, it doesn't really matter. Croatia won, you're through to the World Cup final. That's ultimately all that matters. England fans and pundits alike are very happy with the tournament we had.

I found it a little strange that Croatian players would rather bash English pundits for being patriotic as opposed to celebrating the best achievement in their history. But each to their own.

The other; We need 2 of Dele, Sterling, Rashdord & Lingard need step up and own a position otherwise we're doomed to spend the next 4 years chopping amd changing like we used to CMs during the 'Golden Gen'.

Beyond....

Fully agree. looking from outside, Kane has to be CF - the spear head of the attack. Sterling NO. At international level, Southgate should be working with the finished player (experience is something else). Sterling its not an international player at any level. We are led to believe Guardiola has made him a better player because he's a genius and has the magic touch . What rubbish, no he hasn't . Sterling is awful and would suit coming on later in the game when the opposition is tired not start as part of the 11.

You assume that other countries, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Portugal and many others will stand still and allow England to get better without resistance. The future is bright for England if you accept all the spin. At this moment of time, you can say its good. Time will tell and allow true judgement on where they are as a team. They've made a Semi final of the WC, will anything less now be seen as failure? Anyone who only follows the WC will see England as world beaters because the media said so. We all know football can be cruel and expectations are sometimes over shadowed by reality.

Fuck off you tiresome pasta munching prick

Back
Top Bottom