2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SausageVince

end of an era
35 DAYS UNTIL THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH

Let us preamble sweet fuck out of this one. The world cup is bigger than anything in your life. Think about you family. Look your kids in their eyes. Now look at me; can you honestly tell me they are more important than the world cup? Well?

Scotland has chosen not to attend this year, so I'll be supporting Belgium, Panama, and Tunisia.

If you understand football you make substitutions during the game, if you don't you make comments after it.
Hristo Stoichkov

England to win the final 2-1with a Dele Alli dive to get a penalty, and a winning goal awarded to Kane despite initially appearing to be from the boot of a Liverpool player.

How the World Cup has fallen, it's literally a side-show now.

It used to be the ultimate footballing competition, so much so that people seriously debated whether they'd rather their team won the league or England won the World Cup.....

Childhood memories of your first World Cup are something that you'll never forget..... I don't think kids now are even bothered.

Can't wait for this.

Obviously hope England can win this and I do think we'll exceed expectations and get to at least the quarter finals. If not, then I hope Messi can lead Argentina to glory.

Can't wait for this.

Obviously hope England can win this and I do think we'll exceed expectations and get to at least the quarter finals. If not, then I hope Messi can lead Argentina to glory.
No Italy, no WC. I hope England fail miserably (which isn't hard to predict). Im going to back any side that hasn't got rival PL players in. I cant even support Belgium (which I would have liked to) because of the Chelsea connection.

Can't wait for this.

32202960_1626594587436214_7771673258310500352_n.jpg

We could take 1st place in our group, and finally pass group stage ffs.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has blamed "cursed orange juice" for Gabon's failure to reach the World Cup.

The Borussia Dortmund forward and his teammates fell to a 3-0 defeat against Morocco, and missed out on a place in Russia next summer as a result.

But Aubameyang suggested that the result was beyond Gabon's control due to a bout of sickness that hindered "half of the team".

I love the world cup as an Australian, purely because I've got no expectations and anything we do positive is a great surprise. Also lets me enjoy the rest of it without (too much) bias.
I think its sad how English put the World Cup down (as seen by some in this thread) - just cause your national team has gotten worse doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I don't think any other countries believe the World Cup has lessened.

For me I think the main contenders are France, Spain, Brazil and Germany. Argentina up there too but I just don't think Messi can carry them, their team really isn't all that flash and all they have is about 4 or 5 world class strikers but you can't field them all at once. Portugal will be strong after the experience of the Euros. Belgium are like England circa 00's for me, too many individuals who play for rival clubs and the management of them has been poor. England probably in that next category of outsiders along with Uruguay, Poland and Croatia etc. England should be hoping for a QF spot I am guessing. Overall I think France will win it - find it hard to pick teams to win consecutive tournaments as that is always very hard to do, and I think it being on European soil will be a disadvantage for Brazil (only ever time they've won it on European soil was in Sweden in 1958).

How the World Cup has fallen, it's literally a side-show now.

It used to be the ultimate footballing competition, so much so that people seriously debated whether they'd rather their team won the league or England won the World Cup.....

Childhood memories of your first World Cup are something that you'll never forget..... I don't think kids now are even bothered.
Might be the case in England but I don't think its perception has changed much worldwide IMO - maybe some of our continental friends can help us out with this but certainly not in Australia I don't see any difference.

Might be the case in England but I don't think its perception has changed much worldwide IMO - maybe some of our continental friends can help us out with this but certainly not in Australia I don't see any difference.
The only reason you love the World Cup so much is that the footie in your country is terrible.

:dembelelol:

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has blamed "cursed orange juice" for Gabon's failure to reach the World Cup.

The Borussia Dortmund forward and his teammates fell to a 3-0 defeat against Morocco, and missed out on a place in Russia next summer as a result.

But Aubameyang suggested that the result was beyond Gabon's control due to a bout of sickness that hindered "half of the team".
By chance did they also eat lasagna?

Also, has not the stink of corruption and the venues not also put other countries enthusiasms off?
I don't think anybody has ever looked at FIFA as a corporation to aspire to their ethical standards. FIFA have been corrupt for a long time, the 18/22 WC draw was 8 years ago now - even the South Africa bid was tainted with rumours of corruption.

Back
Top Bottom