FA Cup 4th Round - Man City [H] - Friday 26 Jan 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

100%. No one from the players, Ange or coaches thought of this? A quick cross field diagonal ball from Porto or cuti to Werner would have give him something to chase and turned their defenders round and we could have pushed as a team. Instead for the most part we stuck on the edge of our pen box.

Porro chose a bad fixture to have his worst passing game since joining the club. Ditto Kulu and Bents. Even Romero dawdled on playing long balls. Very frustrating

Agree generally with the sentiment of the above as an an appropriate counter to the perennial naysayers who pounce on every opportunity to revel in our drawbacks simply to satisfy their agenda.
Losing to a better team is not the full story though is it? It is also important how you lose and one only has to listen to Ange who agrees we were far too passive throughout. So regardless of the gulf in class allowing the opposition an easier passage than necessary is simply not good enough and I bet AP will lose patience with them before I do.
Fair, don't disagree.

0 trophies in Sixteen years sounds even worse. But unfortunately, whatever spin you try and put on it, it's also a stone cold fact and a stain on these owners who've shown time and time again they couldn't give a fuck about winning..

Lions led by donkeys

donkeys-yes.gif

Point still stands, argue in context if you wanna have a objective discussion on it but then again we are talking about you here so...

A little surprised we played the whole game without an own player protecting Vicario on corners and freekicks against us.

He was bullied all the way, so this was kind of bound to happen with all their attempts. Feel sorry for Vic anyway, he had an excellent game up to this
I see it exactly the same way.
Vic needed to push him — I mean manhandle him— out of the way before the corner is taken. The ref might come over and have a word (and our captain needs to have a word back) but he’s not giving a penalty for ‘jostling’ before the kick.
Or, a CB, needs to do the job for him. The fact that we let them get away with the same tactic over and over before the winning goal just goes to show our passivity.

As for professional fouls, there’s no better team in the league than City at fouling to break up a quick transition.

Edited to add: For those expecting a foul call, take a look at the Luton goal v Burnley where Trafford is totally impeded. We are never getting that call under much milder circumstances

Last edited:

View: https://x.com/kanefromthelane/status/1751204452139151718?s=20

Unacceptable that there was only 1 player making a run into the box on this play.

Not like it was a fast break. This was a well worked passing play out of the back. Skipps ball wasn't great but still unacceptable no one is anyone near to attack it.

It was the same all night. No numbers getting forward or in to the box. Strange performance when compared to the rest of the season

I bloody knew that was gonna happen! That we'd actually at least try and go toe to toe with 'em and get beat . The times we've sat back, looked terrible and fluked a win or draw against 'em it was meant to be.
Of course I want the result but I Still prefer the former approach and if Biss, Sarr n Sonny were there could well have been a different story.
Positives.. Decent atmosphere and good to see Micky is flying again.
We're well ahead of where I thought we'd be and can feel it in my water that good things are a coming!

We lacked the cutting edge and it was frustrating seeing Werner and Johnson have loads of space in front of them but we never utilized it. Having said that, the way the media played this game up and the way Man City played, they approached this like a final. Knocked the ball about and pushed us high up the pitch, they never stopped running. It was a tough test for our guys and we almost held in there but we never looked like scoring. Not sure a replay would have been good for anyone tbh”n
“never stopped running”
Ffs why couldn’t we that? Doesn’t need expensive players or technical skill to actually run and pressure the player with the ball. That was the worst tho g about the performance we just didn’t look up for it no fight. If their players can run so can oursx

We never ever tried to win tonight. City did. They weren't brilliant, actually far from it...that's how shit we were that they could be at 30% and still beat us. Proper Nuno/Jose/Conteball scared puppy bullshit.

It wasn't a foul on Vic. That goal exemplifies how the game went...we kept fucking about in front of our own box, giving the ball away in an idiotic manner time & again, no aggression at all shown on that corner. And bam, that's how you concede a shitty goal you tools.
100%. That’s what I saw. Attacking the south stand second half and we barely moved out of our pen box. We kept pissing around with the ball at the back so slowly they didn’t even need really exert any energy in their press. We made so easy for them! What don’t understand how when they had the ball they just waltz through from the back to our pen box with virtually no pressure. Few times we forced them back but generally we like all scampering back into our own half mainly in the middle of the park. Hence why they had so much space on the wings. It was like watching Conteball.

This is a verse about Spurs,
On our exit to Manchester City
I suppose it could have been worse
But it sure as hell weren’t very pretty

Yes, we kept them at bay ‘till the 85th minute
And our high line caught them offside
But they pushed us right up to our limit
When we tried to go narrow or wide

Udogie showed great ball control
Van de Ven had a nice turn of speed
But we bottled in front of their goal
And were lucky not more to concede

18 shots to our one tells a tale
Postecoglou is no Prima Donna
But to exit this way is to fail
So win trophies or you’ll be a gonna

We do rinky-dink passing galore
But our strikers don’t strike
So get on your bike
Stop posing and just bloody score!
I hope when we play the Bees
That we don't freeze
And win with ease
They score none and we score 3
Are you Basil Fawlty?

A lot of players stayed back. Either exhausted or not brave enough. Maybe a little bit of both, but have to think Ange won't be happy with this effort.

I can kinda accept that there was mental fatigue setting in towards the very end (see PEH's double-flubb) when you're under fire for the bulk of 80+mins. However, rightfully or wrongly; there was defo a lack of literal energy about out play in the 2nd half...... No coincidence that Skipp was the freshest man on the field at that point; he looked way more juiced than the rest of them in that play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom