FA Cup 4th Round - Man City [H] - Friday 26 Jan 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh goody gumdrops. A night of cunts like you digging the club out again.

Not as if we just lost to the best team in the world with a few of our first team out. No, you’ll act like a spoiled kid instead.
So accept the manner of the defeat! Sometimes fans just accept medocrity and you seem to. So what if they are best team in the world after beating someone from
New Zealand. We gave them a better game in the 3-3 away match. Surely at home fa cup 4 th round v top team , night gane with big crowd the players would be more up for it. We played pathetic for the most part let them boss us. Not bcos they are physically bigger than us bcos they had more desire to win than we did. You telling me players like foden silva Alvarez and odd job are physically imposing? They should more desire and fight to win the ball back high up than any of our forwards / midfield bar rich. Remember Ange wanted Johnson , Werner and approved deki perm signing. Did he really think these players would suit his Ange ball? Which for me means playing aggressive front foot high pressing attacking football. For me we did none of that and hardly dive for a while. Last good game playing attacking football for more than 30 mins was v bar codes. Even v manure we have been the better team but didn’t create a lot. Again what dues Ange see in Conor g that will improve in that area. Note. We played great football v bar codes with a few players missing as well so we can do it.

No of course not. But we got beaten by a better team on the back of draw that could have been kinder. We didn’t play particularly well, but they’re better than us. We also missed our star forward and 2 key midfielders as well as Maddison not being fit.

This is why I hate the 22 years one cup bollocks as if all those seasons are exactly the same. Finishing 14th vs the poch years of top 2 finishes and reaching the CL final. Even the year we won the fuckin league cup we had a shit league finish.

Seasons need to be judged in context. The last 22 years have not all been the same.

Yeah good luck convincing people to do that

1 cup in 23 years sounds better when you're ranting like an angry teenager though.

Trouble is, he’d been backing into Vicario all game. If the ref clamps down on it earlier in the match then it doesn’t happen then at the end.
Surely cuti or vic or anyone could see that then if we could? Either tell the ref and highlight it so he has a word or do something fucking about it! Don’t just let happen all game like you say. Ffs are they not professional enough to sort that or even the coaching team spot it. All well good cuti going in recklessly when no need but when he needs to use his nous it goes missing.

We missed Son massively. Werner is very vanilla.
Thing is watching the game live you can see Werner had acres of space but no one wanted to play that pass. Even HT apparently the itv pundits pointed that out. So no one from our extensive coaching team could have mentioned this to the players? You know may be pass / release the ball quicker to player in acres of space. What tactical switch did we really make in the 2nd half? Did we give them something g different to think about other trying to play ping between our CDs!

Difference between us and them, tonight, was they were always willing to put an early ball in past/over/through our back line... and we hardly attempted it.
100%. No one from the players, Ange or coaches thought of this? A quick cross field diagonal ball from Porto or cuti to Werner would have give him something to chase and turned their defenders round and we could have pushed as a team. Instead for the most part we stuck on the edge of our pen box.

100%. No one from the players, Ange or coaches thought of this? A quick cross field diagonal ball from Porto or cuti to Werner would have give him something to chase and turned their defenders round and we could have pushed as a team. Instead for the most part we stuck on the edge of our pen box.
Ange was probably tearing his hair out, watching it.

What made it worse last night in the 2nd half was another ‘tactical foul’ and Tierney could quite easily played advantage as we were on the attack in a good position but no he blew up, stopped play and let them reset!
So no advantage to us and, once again, their tactical foul was successful
Yeah that annoyed me as well! I knew there was something else I did not like from that ref.
It's so dumb and makes no sense. It's surely not the 'correct' proceedure either

Yeah good luck convincing people to do that

1 cup in 23 years sounds better when you're ranting like an angry teenager though.
0 trophies in Sixteen years sounds even worse. But unfortunately, whatever spin you try and put on it, it's also a stone cold fact and a stain on these owners who've shown time and time again they couldn't give a fuck about winning..

Lions led by donkeys

donkeys-yes.gif

0 trophies in Sixteen years sounds even worse. But unfortunately, whatever spin you try and put on it, it's also a stone cold fact and a stain on these owners who've shown time and time again they couldn't give a fuck about winning..

Lions led by donkeys

donkeys-yes.gif
and here we are, we dance the same dance every time we're knocked out of a cup.

yesterday, we were knocked out by a team that's better than us and financially doped. we should have played better, yes but we lost to a better team.

in other years, when we've lost to "weaker" teams we've been good enough to beat them but you still never blame the players on the pitch, it's always the owners, the owners, the owners.

it's so boring man. even if you just apportioned blame equally it'd be so much easier to respect your stance but your dogmatic, myopic posts, the same set of 12/15 posts every time, it's so boring you're a parody of yourself at this stage.

So accept the manner of the defeat! Sometimes fans just accept medocrity and you seem to. So what if they are best team in the world after beating someone from
New Zealand. We gave them a better game in the 3-3 away match. Surely at home fa cup 4 th round v top team , night gane with big crowd the players would be more up for it. We played pathetic for the most part let them boss us. Not bcos they are physically bigger than us bcos they had more desire to win than we did. You telling me players like foden silva Alvarez and odd job are physically imposing? They should more desire and fight to win the ball back high up than any of our forwards / midfield bar rich. Remember Ange wanted Johnson , Werner and approved deki perm signing. Did he really think these players would suit his Ange ball? Which for me means playing aggressive front foot high pressing attacking football. For me we did none of that and hardly dive for a while. Last good game playing attacking football for more than 30 mins was v bar codes. Even v manure we have been the better team but didn’t create a lot. Again what dues Ange see in Conor g that will improve in that area. Note. We played great football v bar codes with a few players missing as well so we can do it.
I wasn’t telling you anything, let alone that Foden is physically imposing.

What I am saying is that, whilst we didn’t play well, it’s tough to play well against the best team in the world, (you must know they didn’t win that trophy by beating a team from New Zealand, but were only in that tournament by being the best team in England, then Europe, then the world?) particularly when you are missing four of your first eleven.

Maybe the players should have been more up for it, maybe City are just so good that we struggled to impose ourselves? No matter what, the fact is we SHOULD lose to City - they are so much better than we are. And whilst I’m pissed off we lost, i don’t believe we are mediocre, just came up against a better side.

yesterday, we were knocked out by a team that's better than us and financially doped. we should have played better, yes but we lost to a better team.

in other years, when we've lost to "weaker" teams we've been good enough to beat them but you still never blame the players on the pitch, it's always the owners, the owners, the owners.

it's so boring man. even if you just apportioned blame equally it'd be so much easier to respect your stance but your dogmatic, myopic posts, the same set of 12/15 posts every time, it's so boring you're a parody of yourself at this stage.
He’s a cunt. A cunt that knows he gets a rise out of people, so he keeps posting. Ignore him and he’ll eventually go away.

Hard to underestimate what a win here would do for the belief of the team. You'd have to make us favourites to go all the way if we do it.

We tend to bend these lot over on most occasions and they should still be without Haaland.

Vic
Porro -- Romero -- VDV -- Udogie
Bentancur
PEH -- Maddison
Kulu -- Richy -- Werner
This is a verse about Spurs,
On our exit to Manchester City
I suppose it could have been worse
But it sure as hell weren’t very pretty

Yes, we kept them at bay ‘till the 85th minute
And our high line caught them offside
But they pushed us right up to our limit
When we tried to go narrow or wide

Udogie showed great ball control
Van de Ven had a nice turn of speed
But we bottled in front of their goal
And were lucky not more to concede

18 shots to our one tells a tale
Postecoglou is no Prima Donna
But to exit this way is to fail
So win trophies or you’ll be a gonna

We do rinky-dink passing galore
But our strikers don’t strike
So get on your bike
Stop posing and just bloody score!

Thing is watching the game live you can see Werner had acres of space but no one wanted to play that pass. Even HT apparently the itv pundits pointed that out. So no one from our extensive coaching team could have mentioned this to the players? You know may be pass / release the ball quicker to player in acres of space. What tactical switch did we really make in the 2nd half? Did we give them something g different to think about other trying to play ping between our CDs!
A really good point you make, it does seem we are wedded to one way of playing, and again in pressurised situations the players freeze.

Once we got City in the draw my hopes of a cup win diluted a lot. Our only real chance was a a handy draw or two to buy us the time to get a full deck to play with.Other Cup defeats have annoyed me far more than this one but we can finish high in the league for me that is an important step for us to have better days over the next year or so .

Agree generally with the sentiment of the above as an an appropriate counter to the perennial naysayers who pounce on every opportunity to revel in our drawbacks simply to satisfy their agenda.
Losing to a better team is not the full story though is it? It is also important how you lose and one only has to listen to Ange who agrees we were far too passive throughout. So regardless of the gulf in class allowing the opposition an easier passage than necessary is simply not good enough and I bet AP will lose patience with them before I do.

Back
Top Bottom