Return of the Poch

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

would you welcome poch back

• yes

Votes: 189 72.1%
  • no

Votes: 73 27.9%

• Total voters
This is a top 4 quality— no, title contender potential team, just waiting for Poch to unlock their enormous potential. Dier, Winks, incredible potential there. Let’s bring back Alli, he has potential and just needs that spark back. Richarlison... who cares if he hasn’t scored a league goal, amazing player, we must build around him. Udogie... who cares if he never played in Premier League, must have amazing potential.

All waiting on Poch to show up, apply that tremendous 4-2-3-1 high intensity, high pressing formation and we’re set man. We have amazing team, amazing players with great potential.

Agree with everything you say there, but this bit gave me a wry smile:

And it leaves out long list out of whom some might surprise us (and not all of them can be moved on at once) - Lloris, Forster, Dier, Sanchez, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Regulion, Winks, LoCelso, Ndombele, Rodon (10 players in total).

It really would be quite a surprise if any of those turned out to be a long-term-future big success for us! :)

But as I say, absolutely agree with your thrust - the more I think about it, the more I think our existing squad actually seems nicely set-up for a Poch improvement project. (Not by any clever long-term planning admittedly, but hey ho, our lack of consistent direction manager-wise is another matter...).

Well...yea... hence "might" and "surprise".
Nothing expected but miracles do happen. Can't count on them though. And odds are significantly AGAINST anything happening from there.

But if we'd manage to sell them all (or more realistically all bar Forster (2nd choice GK) and Dier (last resort CB) maybe we could get something like 85 mil for them combined? That would already fund purchase of two propely scouted players.

So there is some shit that can be a fertilizer for the future :D .

The expectations on him are going to be through the roof, people are going to expect us to get back to the 2016/17 level, I think it's going to be more difficult for him this time around as the league has improved now and last time he needed a season for his style to really bed in, the problem is that we have a team who haven't been playing with any sort of press and intensity.

He will be starting off with a better squad at least though and I guess he and the board will no what to expect off each other so the issues with transfers and backing won't be huge.

He'd also be taking over a very very fit squad. Which he definitely didn't have when he arrived.

This is a top 4 quality— no, title contender team, just waiting for Poch to unlock their enormous potential. Dier, Winks, incredible potential there. Let’s bring back Alli, he has potential and just needs that spark. What’s Lingard doing these days? Great, terrific potential.

All waiting on Poch to show up, apply the tremendous 4-2-3-1 high intensity, high pressing formation and we’re set man. We have amazing team, amazing players with great potential.

No, you are right.

We should totally stick with tactical mastermind who keeps starting player that has scored 1 goal from 21 starts and offers very little else. I think it is just brilliant idea to eliminate all chances that there would be a blasphemy of young lads getting consistent playing time. And god forbid, if there could be any rotation for any reason less then broken leg. Amazing coach just has to stay. Who else could have that kind of brilliant insight to bring on Lucas Moura on 77th minute as first substitution! It takes an absolute genius to outplay opposition managers like that!

No, you are right.

We should totally stick with tactical mastermind who keeps starting player that has scored 1 goal from 21 starts and offers very little else. I think it is just brilliant idea to eliminate all chances that there would be a blasphemy of young lads getting consistent playing time. And god forbid, if there could be any rotation for any reason less then broken leg. Amazing coach just has to stay. Who else could have that kind of brilliant insight to bring on Lucas Moura on 77th minute as first substitution! It takes an absolute genius to outplay opposition managers like that!
The lot of you need reminding that Poch wasn’t that flawless saint that took the club forward with both hands tied behind his back. He kept playing the same shit players over and over and his diamond formation was just as shit as this 3 CBs we’re using nowadays. He was also helped by City and Liverpool being in a rebuild process, once Guardiola and Klopp started the transformation of their respective teams, we couldn’t compete anymore.

But hey, it’s fine, Saint Mauricio will save us all.

Our current squad is a rancid mess

When Poch first came in , He had a young pressing version of Kane , Eriksen , Dembele , Vertonghen, Prime Hugo , Rose , Walker etc

granted he was able to improve many of them but I can't see him getting a tune out of many of the current clowns
You’re underestimating the work Poch did with these players as they were nowhere the levels you seem to imply in your post.

Kane was by no means a guaranteed first team choice but by buying into Poch’s ethos and working hard, he developed into what he is now.

I’d suggest that that is a similar story to the majority, if not all the squad at that time.

The lot of you need reminding that Poch wasn’t that flawless saint that took the club forward with both hands tied behind his back. He kept playing the same shit players over and over and his diamond formation was just as shit as this 3 CBs we’re using nowadays. He was also helped by City and Liverpool being in a rebuild process, once Guardiola and Klopp started the transformation of their respective teams, we couldn’t compete anymore.

It is strange that they want poch back so badly but still insist the board will prevent us from getting over the line.

In that case, who gives a fuck if he comes back? There a ton of managers who can play nice football, why not try something new?

Also high pressing isn’t the novelty it once was 7 years ago.

what will be interesting (if it does happen), is how the Paratici relationship will work. If he's here to stay does that mean Poch will need to fall in line, and would this actually make his job harder to achieve as it might not be natural for him?

Or, would Paratici have to adapt and change the type of players he is looking at

Or, or would it mean a new DOF?

Is it somewhat limiting if the DOF can only scope players to play in a certain formation? If so, doesn't that limit our options on coaches going forward?

All feels a bit of a mess, and that's not even taking into account Fabio's ban

He performed miracles with what he had imo. The reason he kept playing the same players over and over was because Levy wouldn't buy him any more! But that side swept teams away in the first 45 minutes a lot of the time, game over by halftime. By contrast Conte's teams don't even seem to wake up until the 2nd half...if we're lucky.

Call me delusional but is Pochettino coming back finally the piece of jigsaw where we get it right and we actually start winning stuff? I can’t help but feel he is so desperate for this club to succeed and feels so frustrated with being so close, he will do everything in his power to succeed. He loves us and we love him. I honestly don’t want any other manager.
I was the first vocally proponent of Gallardo.........BUT there is a beautiful symmetry about Pochettino returning and winning the title. It feels so right it's sort of ordained. But for this to happen I think we need to ruthlessly cull all but one or two hold overs from his first term.

It is strange that they want poch back so badly but still insist the board will prevent us from getting over the line.

In that case, who gives a fuck if he comes back? There a ton of managers who can play nice football, why not try something new?

Also high pressing isn’t the novelty it once was 7 years ago.

Who is your 1st choice?

De Zerbi, I like watching brighton play and football nerds on Twitter have been absolutely creaming themselves over him.

Only issue with that is anything from Brighton you have to see through the lense of how well run they are. Potter’s last game against Leicester they looked absolutely fantastic, they where always a bet for EL and outside CL. De Zerbi has done well maintaining that but it’s not like he came into a mess.

For perspective Allegri took over from Conte who set up Juv well and carried on great, Allegri came back taking over from the mess of Pirlo and has struggled.

Personally I liked to see a manager who has transformed a side while developing younger lesser players. Poch did that at Saints, Kompany seems to be doing it at Burnley, Gallardo has a great record from reading. I admit I’d have to look at De Zerbi’s past more but I would probably judge his past rather than Brighton.

Only issue with that is anything from Brighton you have to see through the lense of how well run they are. Potter’s last game against Leicester they looked absolutely fantastic, they where always a bet for EL and outside CL. De Zerbi has done well maintaining that but it’s not like he came into a mess.

For perspective Allegri took over from Conte who set up Juv well and carried on great, Allegri came back taking over from the mess of Pirlo and has struggled.

Personally I liked to see a manager who has transformed a side while developing younger lesser players. Poch did that at Saints, Kompany seems to be doing it at Burnley, Gallardo has a great record from reading. I admit I’d have to look at De Zerbi’s past more but I would probably judge his past rather than Brighton.
De Zerbi will have a better team here than he does at Brighton and be able to spend more. I also think he’ll inherit a good team here. If we get Maddison and a top CB he’ll do great.

I’m not picky about managers anyway. Give me someone who can set the team up to actually play football and I’m happy. We’re not that far away from being a good team.

(1st time i posted it actually)

What context is missing?

........I don't remember the full interview; but I remember disagreeing with him at the time.

Bit if a delay in my reply as super busy and felt it deserved a bit if text.
Sure I saw that photo over the weekend so obviously various people posting it not just you.

The whole point of what he says was that winning a trophy would not automatically take us to the next level. Which is conveniently missed off that photo.

Nice for the ego but not going to make us the next city, Chelsea - so league winners and CL winners levels of achievement.

And reading between the lines he is saying his boss wanted the club in the Top 4. That was what was important for the football club.

CL football to compete regularly with the big boys. And I’d say a direct remit from Daniel.

And I’m seemingly one of the few people who remembers “what happened next?” the last time Spurs won a trophy. Sone players definitely thought they were bigger than the club. Was great for them and their ego. Did the club kick in and move up a level the next season? No.
I’m pretty sure Daniel Levy remembers it all well though.

Also United just highlighted the problem very nicely too. They had their ego licked and sucked by every journalist / media crony a week ago. Are they really any closer to winning the league this week? If we hadn’t fucked up we would be breathing down their neck for 3rd. And we are “shit” this season. 1 week best in the world. Next laughing stock of anfield.

I could go on about this tbh the black and white ignoring the grey of a short press conference is hardly something to beat someone with 4 years down the line.

But that’s just my own take.

TLDR IMO a 10minute press conference diluted into a few lines missing the main point of what he was trying to say. Click bait.

Get him in now, he has 3 months before pre season to work on the training pitch, no european football, no cups, week to week games, a great chance to implement his philosophy, evaluate the squad, and hit the ground running next season.

I think he's actually one of us!
Not an excuse!

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Back
Top Bottom