Return of the Poch

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

would you welcome poch back

• yes

Votes: 189 72.1%
  • no

Votes: 73 27.9%

• Total voters
Why do people keep gaslighting and making out Poch is a terrible manager? Massive cope because weve been absolute turd since he left.

There's a weird underrating of the job he did here. CL final is totally unprecedented & we had a fucking hard run to the final for it too ... Inter & Barca in the groups and Dortmund, City and Ajax who knocked out Madrid & Juve.

He had us pissing top four. And our 16/17 team was unreal, no Spurs team was close to that tally before or after. Statistically we were the best in so many areas that season but Chelsea just had a world-class matchwinner. Top 4 became an afterthought under him.

Cohesive & incredibly competitive. We'd go to big teams and dominate them. Wouldn't always win (esp. away) but they weren't games I dreaded ... by far the best manager in my lifetime.

If it wasn’t for Poch, we would have never been able to attract the likes of Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte. He turned Spurs into a regular Champions League qualifier and elevated the status of the club. Levy failed to properly back him and Poch was right about a painful rebuild after the CL Final.

I'd like to think that, regardless of whether someone wanted Poch back or not, that in the event that he DID come back, they'd get behind him.

Be a shitty thing not to do so, imv.

Or at least not boo the poor bastard :angryscouser:

1.I think the league has moved on since him, the high pressing style was something new when he came in and took people by surprise but as the seasons went his tactics got found out. We also had a very good squad at the time and there's no guarantee we'll get a similar squad if he comes back.

2. So we should just give up then and settle for poch? Most fans were super excited when Conte was appointed. That and Nuno's sacking happened due to fan pressure.
1. What season are you refering to? We were bloody brilliant under Poch for at least 3 seasons! The last turned sour because the squad went stale because of NO signings for two windows!!!

It became quiet clear that Poch were desperate at the end with the same shit players he wanted out, and even tried that useless midfield diamond, but at least he tried something different.

And NO we did not have a good squad when Poch took over. His first starting eleven was this:

https://www.spurs-web.com/wp-conten...-Creator-Make-Your-Team-and-Share-Tactics.png

Friedel

Naughton - Dawson - Fryers - Rose

Capoue - Carroll - Holtby

Lennon - Kane - Townsend

And we now have a lot of young players for Poch to work with, like: Emerson, Porro, Spence, Sessegnon, Udogie, Skipp, Devine, Sarr, Kulusevski, Gil, White

2. No of course we shouldn´t give up. But it´s degrading to say we would"settle for Poch" Why do you think PSG hired him? Because they tought he´s was a average manager? He won the league and cup title there.

-- Poch is good at developing players that are not already world-class, he turned a lot of our dross into world beaters.

-- He loves the club and the fans. And he made us feel proud of being Tottenham. I have never felt such a bond with the club as i did when Poch was here.

-- He made us play a fantastic attacking brand of football, that i haven´t seen under my 40 years of supporting Spurs

-- We were probably 2-3 signings away from being a real force in Europe! He demanded to get those players. But football genious himself Daniel Levy decided we were good enough as it was, and rewarded Poch with ZERO signings for 2(!!!) transfer windows, wich by the way has never happened to a single club in PL history before!

-- He is very sympathetic in interviews, and was a real good ambassador for the club

So YES, i think we could do a lot worse than Poch!

Last edited:
That claim depends heavily how much emphasis one puts on trophies (and a working crystal ball).

We had 'feel good football' under Harry & Jol too.

...Never the less; like I already said "I rate his work here highly".

Yeah we never got even remotely close to 86 points under Harry or Jol, and never even got close to a CL final either. We were also never in the top four every season without it even being a worry for years.

Poch is the peak. The bar for modern Spurs managers. Nobody has come close since & doesn't look likely to either.

BigUnluckyBluebreastedkookaburra-size_restricted.gif

People who want Poch back mustn't be the ones who clamour for trophies. He was part of a team that for the last fifteen hasn't a won a trophy. He was there for a third of it....

What people want is to feel connected to the club again. But happy to watch Spurs play and enjoy it....

Did trophies come under Poch? Nope. And tbh, I couldn't give a shit. I enjoyed that much more than I've enjoyed Spurs outside of Redknapp in the last 30 years... Funnily enough, another who didn't win us a single thing.

I'd have him back in a heart beat. Not because I think he's going to win us the league, but because he's not going to do any worse than Conte under ENIC and at least we'd have something interesting to watch on the pitch.

I am SOOOOO bored of the shite we get served up under Conte. I don't even try for tickets anymore. Last game I went to was Villa, and that was enough for me to put the membership card away for a little while. Plus the fact the day cost me £400.

lots of similar posts around that time about this great squad going to waste beecause he's stubborn with his side way passing tactics. Of course hindsight is a powerful thing but that squad was done, even the new signings turned out to be lemons

Yeah, there's a lot of rose tinted glasses when it comes to Poch. Everyone wants to remember when we were flying and made it to the CL final, but they either don't or don't want to remember that the last 12-18 months got pretty rough.

Poch does get more leeway from me though compared to Conte is because he did far more with arguably less, did it for longer, and he had far less backing during his tenure than Conte has received. He was stubborn with both players and formations, but I think that by the end he was frustrated, tired, and just not at his best because of that.

Losing 3 semis and 2 finals is not good enough for me, mate.

That record makes him far better than anyone else who has managed the club under ENIC. If Poch failed then all our other managers where even worse. Nothing will change while we are owned/run by Levy.

Not saying he is the solution but he is not the problem.

Bit ridiculous seeing people try to write off both Poch and Redknapp who both did hugely credible jobs over several seasons each, and played football that was actually worth watching.

We were absolutely rotten when both took over. The Ramos shambles and the AVB-Sherwood shambles.

We’ve only very recently been considered one of the big boys in the PL, which is firmly down to both, due to that consistency and the CL runs.

Poch took us through the Wembley years, the nil activity transfer windows, and still managed to give us an echo of glory in the CL run and a top 4 finish with such a tired and broken squad. Bloody miracle worker.

Edit: … and some folk want the Forest manager? Like seriously?!

:pochshock:

Back
Top Bottom