Younès Kaboul

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, Kaboul is a very fine player when he's fit.

Can he keep fit though? How long will we get to see him like this?

This has been his problem and I fear that it will continue to be.

Or maybe his problems are behind him?

Dont see the point that people are making when they say "he´s great when he´s fit"...what player is good when injured....?

We shouldnt drop someone because he might get injured again.

Or maybe his problems are behind him?

Dont see the point that people are making when they say "he´s great when he´s fit"...what player is good when injured....?

We shouldnt drop someone because he might get injured again.
I dont think he is talking about dropping him from the lineup rather than dropping him from the team. Obviously he deserves to play, but come January/summer, again, the potential injury stuff will come up again.

When fit great but I still have my doubts, he was a liability earlier in the season so maybe the more games he plays in will improve his form, but some of his positional play yesterday was not great and he was lucky to get away with the poor clearance in the second half........

Younes Kaboul was just a teenager when he first remembers Mauricio Pochettino, his new manager at Tottenham.

The defender was a fresh-faced 15-year-old at Auxerre’s academy, working as a ball-boy as part of his duties in a league match against Paris Saint-Germain.

The game was at Auxerre’s Stade l’Abbe-Deschamps stadium on the banks of the Yonne River, in August 2001.

1412637659708_wps_36_12th_April_2002_French_Li.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino in his PSG days with Mikel Arteta (left), who now plies his trade with Spurs rivals Woolwich

1412637884454_wps_38_GERMANY_V_ARGENTINA_GERMA.jpg

Pochettino (centre) parts Argentina's Kily Gonzales (right) and German Jens Jeremies (left) in a 2002 friendly

There was a buzz in the air with Ronaldinho – this exotic star from Brazil who had just made a €5million move from Gremio – set to make his debut.

He did make an appearance from the bench for the final 30 minutes, but it was defender Pochettino’s rasping right-footed volley which remains most vivid in Kaboul’s memory.

‘I remember it like it was yesterday and now he is my manager,’ Kaboul explained.

Kaboul reminded his new boss of that moment he witnessed, stood just behind the goal, when he joined the club from Southampton this summer.

‘He remembered this goal,’ he said. ‘It was not long ago when you think about it and now he is my manager. I am very, very proud.’

1412637055811_wps_32_LONDON_ENGLAND_OCTOBER_05.jpg

Tottenham captain Younes Kaboul celebrates Christian Eriksen's goal at White Hart lane on Sunday

1412635995106_wps_27_Tottenham_Hotspur_s_Frenc.jpg

The defender made 52 appearances for Auxerre between 2004 and 2007 before his first move to Spurs

That conversation must have taken Pochettino back. But most of his recollections rarely involve goals.

Pochettino forged his career as a defender – playing in the centre and at right-back – at clubs in his native Argentina, Spain and France.

Internationally the pinnacle was playing in the 2002 World Cup, where he famously tripped Michael Owen to conceded a penalty which helped England progress, at their expense.

Although, like that occasion, his experiences were not all good, he has a great wealth of them to pass on to his Spurs defenders.

1412637257579_wps_34_SAPPORO_JUNE_7_Michael_Ow.jpg

Pochettino's trip on Michael Owen led to the penalty which helped England progress in the 2002 World Cup

1412637808379_wps_37_Football_International_Fr.jpg

The defender held no prisoners, as England's David Beckham finds out in this international against Argentina

1412637230515_wps_33_27_09_2014_London_England.jpg

After some strong defensive displays Tottenham now sit sixth in the Premier League table

Defensively the season started well, the side keeping three clean sheets in their opening four games, against West Ham, QPR and AEL Limassol in the Europa League.

That early form had started to wane, but a 1-1 draw away to rivals Woolwich and 1-0 win against Pochettino’s former club Southampton on Sunday were accompanied by solid defensive displays.

‘Mauricio was a top defender first of all,’ Kaboul, who Pochettino has picked as his club captain, added. ‘A very classy defender.

‘We learn a lot from him because he has got experience at this level and we try to put in the game everything he has taught us.

‘He is helping us to read the game, to read the game properly and to anticipate stuff. I think we have applied this already during the games.’

Both Vertonghen and Vorm gave him bollockings last night - looks like he's completely lost the respect of his team mates.

Yet still retains the captain’s band. Crazy.

His time is up at Spurs for me. Manager doesn’t trust him, fans aren’t backing him and his teammates have had enough. I think it’s only the poor (in hindsight) decision to make him club captain that has kept him at the club as the whoever made that decision doesn’t want to lose face.
In defence of the decision, we were hardly a team full of players that inspired once Daws had left and Kaboul was probably the only viable candidate.

Id like to see Bentaleb stepping up in the next couple of seasons and claiming the band for himself.

Yet still retains the captain’s band. Crazy.

His time is up at Spurs for me. Manager doesn’t trust him, fans aren’t backing him and his teammates have had enough. I think it’s only the poor (in hindsight) decision to make him club captain that has kept him at the club as the whoever made that decision doesn’t want to lose face.
In defence of the decision, we were hardly a team full of players that inspired once Daws had left and Kaboul was probably the only viable candidate.

Id like to see Bentaleb stepping up in the next couple of seasons and claiming the band for himself.

Probably get Lloris or Verts as captain next but I can see the likes of Bentaleb, Mason or Kane becoming our captain in 4-5 years definatly.

Probably get Lloris or Verts as captain next but I can see the likes of Bentaleb, Mason or Kane becoming our captain in 4-5 years definatly.

Yes, would be the most likely choices. Personally i don’t like Keepers as captains. Very difficult to exert any influence from between the sticks (unless the ball is consistently in your own 18 yard box!)

Plus, unfortunately, I don’t see either of them being at the club beyond next season.

Back
Top Bottom