Who will leave this summer?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can totally understand your position. And a part of me wants us to go nuts in bringing in players of a quality, we could only dream of previously. No matter anyone's position on how many of our current squad isn't up to the task, and thus by extension how many we should bring in, I think it's beyond discussion that it's the toughest task Poch has this summer. That is deciding how many squad positions, he should/can improve upon while keeping the squad harmony he's so carefully built up.

Personally I'd look at the likes of Witsel, Lacazette, Batshuayi, Kante, Boufal etc. although any 3 of them would be about 60-70 million so I guess we would probably need to sell 6-7 fringe players at least.

But if we can find players as good for cheaper which is what scouts are for then fine with me. The only thing I want to avoid is Poch saying I want this guy for whatever and Levy getting some cheap alternative that doesn't work. I would imagine part of Poch agreeing to a new contract was some guarantees about that issue.

Yep for me what makes Poch different is that he is very happy to promote and give a player a chance but if he feels he won't fit it's out the door.

Most of our previous managers have often been reluctant to move players that perhaps don't fit. Last summers window was the first time where I thought as a club we moved out everyone who wasn't suitable at that period of time. Which in turns gives more room to new or younger players to prove themselves.

Like everyone here we all have our perceptions, my perception of Poch is someone who is polite on the outside but aggressive and driven within sort of like Fergie.

I don't expect 10 players to come in but all our fringe players are fighting for their future at the club. It is ruthless and almost un-spurs like but I guess that's why we have been soft Spurs for so long.

The other factor is that as a CL team we have the chance to get players we can't normally get. It's only rumours in the papers but apparently Batshuayi wants to come to us ahead of other teams. I am sure we will take advantage of this type of situation which doesn't come every year.

Also, on the Poch personality thing. I agree, he's probably ruthless when it comes to players who don't buy into the team ethos and don't work their socks off in training and matches. My perception is that he values that team ethos so very much that it takes something a bit more special to change things around than it does most managers. I hate using Mason, because I come across as his biggest fanboy after another discussion as well, and I'm really not, but he's a good example.

We already need to bring 2-3 in to get to a squad of 25, as Poch wants. Some might be deemed not good enough, be it attitude or ability based, and moved no matter what. Then we're already at more turnover, than I think he'd like. Now, Mason might not be a world beater, but unless we can actually bring in an actual world beater, would he really toss him, when the squad's already having a makeover? He might get someone who's, and I'm just throwing out a number, 5-10% better. On the flip side, he's got someone who's raised at the club, already knows the tactical system, doesn't complain about being out of the starting 11, gives 100% every time, works well on a personal level with the rest of the squad (I'm assuming). Would he give that up for 5-10% ability when he doesn't know whether the incoming will tick any of those boxes and how fast, or even if he's those 5-10% in the PL? I doubt it.

Surely Levy has seen enough to trust Poch by now? He has thrown out all the expensive deadwood & the squad is streamlined. Poch likes a smaller squad, & if he says he needs a particular player then please God, Levy doesn't piss about with derisory offers all summer trying to play the long game & save the odd sheckle. Just get the business done for once. Pleeease.

Surely Levy has seen enough to trust Poch by now? He has thrown out all the expensive deadwood & the squad is streamlined. Poch likes a smaller squad, & if he says he needs a particular player then please God, Levy doesn't piss about with derisory offers all summer trying to play the long game & save the odd sheckle. Just get the business done for once. Pleeease.

I think he will back Poch and the publicised 'meeting' with SAF will strengthen Poch's hand.

Levy wouldn't dare jeopardise Poch's future with us!
:levyeyes:

Would he?

The higher you are in the league and the stronger the squad the harder it is to bring in better players. No point replacing like with like as in the past. We need to replace Fazio, Bentaleb (clearly out of favour) & buy a 2nd striker. Whilst there are other weaknesses, I would prefer 2 top players for Bentaleb and Striker and a cheaper cover for CB. I doubt we have the budget for more and do not want to spread the budget too thinly around more players as they would be lower quality. Vorm, Carroll & Mason could go but for me only if a good offer comes in and we get a straight replacement.

The higher you are in the league and the stronger the squad the harder it is to bring in better players. No point replacing like with like as in the past. We need to replace Fazio, Bentaleb (clearly out of favour) & buy a 2nd striker. Whilst there are other weaknesses, I would prefer 2 top players for Bentaleb and Striker and a cheaper cover for CB. I doubt we have the budget for more and do not want to spread the budget too thinly around more players as they would be lower quality. Vorm, Carroll & Mason could go but for me only if a good offer comes in and we get a straight replacement.

Are you okay with the replacement being gay if he is really fucking good though? :levyeyes:

Are you okay with the replacement being gay if he is really fucking good though? :levyeyes:
giphy.gif

Maybe you should rethink some of your statements as they are bordering on the inane !

giphy.gif

Maybe you should rethink some of your statements as they are bordering on the inane !

I'm sure I'll live.

I don't quite get why you see it as nonsensical for that joke considering he asked for a straight replacement and I suggested a gay one as being fine.

Last edited:
Fazio and de-Andre-de-Yed-de-lin are as good as gone, surely...

I'd personally wouldn't mind us getting Courtois in as an upgrade on Vorm. (assuming Chelsea don't still want hI'm! )

Plus I think Poch will get rid of ONE, maybe two of Carroll Bentaleb or Mason... but not all three...

Otherwise...

Absolutely no clue who i'd like to see come in over the summer.
I'd like to think Poch will get it right tho.

What i'd love to see right now is Levy trolling Man U/Chelsea, etc for players. Not that I want any of them here.
The shitfest in the media would be great.
Let them cunts have a bit of it for a change.

TBH - I hope Levy has more important things to be getting on with though :)

Fazio and de-Andre-de-Yed-de-lin are as good as gone, surely...

I'd personally wouldn't mind us getting Courtois in as an upgrade on Vorm. (assuming Chelsea don't still want hI'm! )

Plus I think Poch will get rid of ONE, maybe two of Carroll Bentaleb or Mason... but not all three...

Otherwise...

Say Chelsea really don't want Courtois, would it be considered blasphemy to offer them a swap deal, say, they gave is Courtois and 20 Million and we give them Lloris?

I'm sure I'll live.

I don't quite get why you see it as nonsensical for that joke considering he asked for a straight replacement and I suggested a gay one as being fine.
Personally, I would have highlighted the last sentence in the post you quoted, or erased everything but the last sentence.
Would have given it a little zip.
But that's just me....

I gave it a funny. Well played.

Personally, I would have highlighted the last sentence in the post you quoted, or erased everything but the last sentence.
Would have given it a little zip.
But that's just me....

I gave it a funny. Well played.

At first I was like "Fuck you", then I was like "Maybe he just doesn't get it." and now I'm just enjoying the irony of his post being as inane as the post he felt he was quoting. It's been a long day sadly, and it's still not over.

Say Chelsea really don't want Courtois, would it be considered blasphemy to offer them a swap deal, say, they gave is Courtois and 20 Million and we give them Lloris?
The Lord SMITE YOU DOWN!!

...not quite the swap I was thinking of...
it would be funnier to see Vorm go there and line-up alongside Fabregas and Hazard next season. .. JUST so we can get to the bottom of what was REALLY said at Full-time last week!!

At first I was like "Fuck you", then I was like "Maybe he just doesn't get it." and now I'm just enjoying the irony of his post being as inane as the post he felt he was quoting. It's been a long day sadly, and it's still not over.

Personally, I'm a fan of both you and pleb pleb , so I think you two need to just hug it out....

Back
Top Bottom