So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
I was recently looking at Andre Villas Boas' impressive current results at Zenit in Russia, with an outstanding 80% win ratio and just two losses in 25 games, and then I saw his statistics during his time at Spurs. What came to me as an oddity was that his statistics for Tottenham are actually, at least in terms of numbers, the best of any manager in the past 10+ years! I am using Wikipedia numbers, which may be inaccurate but it does illustrate my point. In chronological order, most recent first:

Mauricio Pochettino ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 011 | 45.45% | 4/2
Tim Sherwood ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 028 | 50.00% | 4/10
André Villas-Boas ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 080 | 55.00% | 20/16
Harry Redknapp |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 198 | 49.49% | 50/50
Juande Ramos |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 054 | 38.89% | 16/17
Clive Allen |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 004 | 50.00% | 0/2
Martin Jol ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 148 | 45.27% | 38/43
Jacques Santini |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 013 | 38.46% | 4/4
Glenn Hoddle ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 104 | 39.42% | 18/45

KEY 1:
NUMBER OF GAMES; % OF GAMES WON; DRAW TO LOSS RATIO.

As you can see, AVB does not only have the best win ratio of all (at least 5% better than everyone else), but also the best draw to loss ratio of all except Pochettino. Yet, AVB's stint at Spurs was deemed by most a disappointment, perhaps influenced by his previous unimpressive career at Chelsea. In retrospect, do you think AVB was a good choice at the time? Could he have done things differently, and if so, what were his faults?
We played loads of crap sides in the cups, that's why. You can only judge a managers stats over a period of about 3 years, and as our managers don't get that long, I wouldn't bother. I for one am pleased he has gone, albeit Mo Po doesn't appear to be the man either. I would have given Sherwood a bit longer.

He was the wrong choice from the start regardless of what happened that was his fault during his tenure. He was slaughtered at Chelsea for what went on there and, especially due to replacing Harry, he was always going to be a media target the second something went remotely wrong at Spurs. Levy should've known this and, if giving him the job, should've backed him fully and stood by his decision. He didn't get the players he wanted and Levy happily threw him under the bus as soon as the opportunity came up as a scapegoat for his and Baldini's transfer cock-ups (book balancing!).
I don't think he was ever right anyway for plenty of footballing reasons but, Levy picked him knowing that but then hamstrung him to a certain extent and fucked him off, a colossal waste of everybody's time and sent us in a spiral of decline from where we were.

Mixed feelings on your post. While I will always back AVB over the Moutinho farce, I cant symapthise over the Baldini issues.

"I have worked with one (DoF) at Porto and Academica and had no issues with that and I certainly promote that,"
"In the end the structure that surrounds the football club is down to the chairman.
"It is not up to me to decide, it's up to the chairman. There are discussions and talks but in the end it is a club decision"
"I certainly think he is looking to further evolve in terms of the structure that surrounds the club."

AVB

You cant welcome and "promote" the arrival of a DoF as "evolving" the club, then complain that you didnt want the players. He clearly states he worked with one at two clubs. He should accept how it works and the risks involved with that Im afraid.

Weird that in the same interview he goes on to say:
"If you reflect at this moment we have Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Younes Kaboul, Scott Parker, Luka Modric, Emmanuel Adebayor, and Rafael van der Vaart all out of this team, so this team has nothing to do with last year's team,"
"It is about getting acquainted with each other now."

Three of those players are still on our books

(.....)Mo Po doesn't appear to be the man either. I would have given Sherwood a bit longer.
I believe that Poch is the one, really like the guy. Although I must admit, that only 1 win in the last 7 games is bad. Over the past few seasons, we've taken a step backwards, but I truly believe that Poch is the one to take this club forward. I hope that Levy backs Poch in the transfer market, unlike what he did with AVB...

Last edited:
I believe that Poch is the one, really like the guy. Although I must admit, that only 1 win in the last 7 games is bad. Over the past few seasons, we've taken a step backwards, but I truly believe that Poch is the one to take this club forward. I hope that Levy backs Poch in the transfer market, unlike what he did with AVB... COYS

Well at least the people who think AVB was "gone too soon" will back Poch for, at the very least, 18 months.
No matter what. That you can be sure of...

:eriksenlol:

I believe that Poch is the one, really like the guy. Although I must admit, that only 1 win in the last 7 games is bad. Over the past few seasons, we've taken a step backwards, but I truly believe that Poch is the one to take this club forward. I hope that Levy backs Poch in the transfer market, unlike what he did with AVB... COYS

You are of course entitled to your opinion, I just can't understand why you like him. I sometimes think people get carried away with a managers persona, and perceived personality, rather than what happens on the pitch. The fact is that we aren't winning games, and the football is painful to watch. Levy appears to have replaced AVB, with AVB mk2

I never got the chance but I would like to thank you Andre. His football was so boring I got to know the people who sat around me. For years I have waved and nodded to the same old faces but never spoken to them. Last year with nothing happening on the pitch and the fans sat in silence I got to talk to all of them. Got to know there names, if they had kids and how long they have supported Spurs.
Thanks Andre.

Early days for sure - criticism and concerns are perfectly valid but calling for his head? Will achieve nothing as ENIC's entire tenure would prove over the years.

I haven't wanted any of our managers gone (bar Sherwood and Juande) since the Jol days, and felt the same way about AVB. He clearly had a great understanding of the game and was a very intelligent bloke, was just a bit too stubborn in his ways. I reckon in 10/15 years time he will be the 'big thing' in world football.

Some of my favourite moments were under him, the 3-1 vs City, 3-2 vs West Ham, Bale hattrick game vs Villa. I genuinely think the media were so hell bent to get him that he swayed a lot of the fans opinions.

my guess is that in 10/15 years time he will be doing match analysis for europa league games on portuguese TV. By then he will have been rumbled everywhere.
Or living in a cardboard box under a railway arch in Clapham
or wearing make up and spandex hot pants in the cell of an 18 stone prisoner on death row.

Why isn't there a poll option that refers to AVB as the simple footballing Jesus he is?

I still haven't found the lust in my heart to get my AVB body pillow transformed into a Pochettino one.

Mixed feelings on your post. While I will always back AVB over the Moutinho farce, I cant symapthise over the Baldini issues.

"I have worked with one (DoF) at Porto and Academica and had no issues with that and I certainly promote that,"
"In the end the structure that surrounds the football club is down to the chairman.
"It is not up to me to decide, it's up to the chairman. There are discussions and talks but in the end it is a club decision"
"I certainly think he is looking to further evolve in terms of the structure that surrounds the club."

AVB

You cant welcome and "promote" the arrival of a DoF as "evolving" the club, then complain that you didnt want the players. He clearly states he worked with one at two clubs. He should accept how it works and the risks involved with that Im afraid.

Weird that in the same interview he goes on to say:
"If you reflect at this moment we have Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Younes Kaboul, Scott Parker, Luka Modric, Emmanuel Adebayor, and Rafael van der Vaart all out of this team, so this team has nothing to do with last year's team,"
"It is about getting acquainted with each other now."

Three of those players are still on our books

Yeah I agree with you about the above and don't think AVB was right for the job at all. My Baldini comment was meant more as a general dig that he really hasn't covered himself in any glory either. Levy has stuck by him, whereas AVB seemed an appointment with far more obvious risks that were clear to most yet he did it anyway, then sacked him and dropped us in it with no plan b. Although we would've probably all died of boredom, I think we may have finished 6th with him in charge anyway without all the circus.

As much as I liked AVB, I think back to the reasons he left (stubbornness) and the reasons it didn't work at Chelsea (stubbornness) and have concluded it was probably a bit of a naive appointment from Levy.

I don't think AVB understood what made Porto's offense work, and was completely unable to replicate that at Chelsea, hence his quest for those Porto players at Spurs. Gareth Bale masked his underlying cluelessness about shot quality, which became apparent when he introduced an unacquainted group of players to each other, with a striker reliant on service in a system which encouraged shooting from anywhere (witness Andros Townsend).

He was the wrong choice, but talked a good game, and it was only in hindsight that his flaws become apparent.

The thing about doing well at Zenit and Porto is that a manager should do well at those clubs. Zenit has spent so much more money putting their team together and AVBs Porto side that he inherited has some of the best players in the world in Moutinho, Hulk, and Falcao. Put those players up against a lower level Russian or Portuguese side and the gulf in talent is immense.

We need a manager that is able to develop players and take a team to a new level. I don't think AVB is that guy but I'm really excited for Poch because he has a great record of doing just that. He's shown he can take Soton to a new level and now he can hopefully do the same for us. The fact that his tactics are 1000 times more attractive than AVBs make me happy that the AVB is gone.

Poll says it all, irrespective of what one thought of his raincoat - not to mention the cold, hard figures

I'd imagine similar poll results for Jol would have emerged at the time, etc. Therefore the moral of the story remains - Dan, please give Dear Poch enough time to implement whatever ideas he has planned for us!

Back
Top Bottom