So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
what were his faults?

Being a stiff little robot who could not get into his head that a theory means nothing without the right players.
Not having another option when said theory was getting arse fucked 3-0, 5-0, 6-0 in the space of a month.
Playing weaker sides over personal reasons about players
Sidelining players because of his ego
Lying about said players being injured/homesick
Slating the home fans for his shit football
Playing shit football
Sucking the life out of players that got us into the CL quarters and making them look like clueless morons
Relying on one man - the revolutionary Bale formation - while neglecting actual tactics
Selling VDV and playing Dempsey
Not playing Lloris for two months just to show who's boss
Loaning out BAE, then dropping Naughton after one game to play Jan LB
Having an identical record to the never managed before, caretaker that took over
Taking us from a top 4 club into a downward spiral

I never got the chance but I would like to thank you Andre. His football was so boring I got to know the people who sat around me. For years I have waved and nodded to the same old faces but never spoken to them. Last year with nothing happening on the pitch and the fans sat in silence I got to talk to all of them. Got to know there names, if they had kids and how long they have supported Spurs.
Thanks Andre.

Should have been given more time - gone too soon. He'll go on to have a glittering career no doubt

Let's hope Dear Poch is offered more support when the going gets tough

I guess the silence clause has expired:

http://www.portugoal.net/portuguese...ll-of-media-sensationalism-and-false-promises

"Tottenham set a points and victories record in my first season, and missed out on the Champions League by one point and had a great run in the Europa League. In the second season, at the time I left we had more points than in the previous season. I ended up leaving by mutual agreement - it wasn't a sacking - because I gave full support to the football director Franco Baldini who meanwhile had other ambitions, meaning that I ended up with players that did not fit the profile I wanted.

"The chairman proposed a challenge to increase Tottenham's competitive level, but immediately Modric left and we didn't get any of the targets I had identified, such as João Moutinho, Willian, Óscar or Leandro Damião. These were promises that were not kept. I had a group of players I had not chosen. In two years I lost Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, and all the promises made were unfulfilled. In any event I don't look at my time at Tottenham as a negative experience. It was an experience I needed to have."

Shades of Ramos. I wanted THESE guys, and had no idea what to do if I didn't get exactly them.

No one gets everyone they want, that's why there are always lists and always back-up choices. Lack of flexibility is fatal.
Could have at least got ONE of them though. I mean we spent 30 million on lamela who Baldini rated but wouldn't spend 31 on moutinho, who was already proven to be the crux of AVB's former successful Porto side. That makes zero sense to me.

I haven't wanted any of our managers gone (bar Sherwood and Juande) since the Jol days, and felt the same way about AVB. He clearly had a great understanding of the game and was a very intelligent bloke, was just a bit too stubborn in his ways. I reckon in 10/15 years time he will be the 'big thing' in world football.

Some of my favourite moments were under him, the 3-1 vs City, 3-2 vs West Ham, Bale hattrick game vs Villa. I genuinely think the media were so hell bent to get him that he swayed a lot of the fans opinions.

I used to really like AVB but now that he's brought up at least once a week as if our best manager ever died after 18 months with the club I've really come to resent him.

He was a decent manager. He did some good things with the club without a doubt and ultimately we've seen that he was unlucky with our terrible incoming signings after Bale. However, he failed to get top four with Bale (Rodgers got second with a comprable player in Suarez), he lost the plot in the last month at THFC, he also voluntarily left the club if his own account is to be believed, the signings he wanted weren't exactly great either, he ran VDV out of the club in favor of Sigurdsson, it seems reasonable to suggest he lost the dressing room at the end based on various accounts and how warmly the players originally welcomed Sherwood before he turned into King Cunt and his football was boring as hell.

AVB was an okay manager and I found him to be a very likable human being but the pining for him you see on social media and here is absolutely bizarre IMO.

Sherwood left us in a better place? He alienated half the squad, then played the youngsters someone else had been nurturing and took credit for it. Then did worse than the man he had campaigned to replace.

AVB was overmatched by England, but Sherwood was an unmitigated disaster, a look into the dark past of domestic football where #ProperFootballMan networks made top careers for even clueless ex players, club after club after club.
Stop rewritting history please. You might not like sherwood but he did a lof of good things. For one, it was him who told the board that Kane has a big future here when he was about to be shifted out on loan again (and he gave him a run of games in the league). Benteleb and mason are potentially going to earn the club a combined 32m as well.

Perhaps it's not a strenght of feeling against him. Perhaps it's rather a clarity about how much of a fraud he and his fellow #properfootballman possé really are.
This.

For all their talk and braggadocio, in all their cumulative careers, not one of them has been a managerial success. None of them, when put to the test, have actually managed to win a damn thing.

And the notion that they've never gotten a proper chance at a big club is also bullshit, as good managers win with small clubs, and then earn the chances at big clubs. Guardiola started at the B team, Klopp dragged Mainz from depths of the German second division, Tuchel then did the same thing and took them into Europe. Pochettino saved an Espanyol side that deserved relegation and kept them in mid-table, then made Soton a top-10 contender on a shoe-string budget. Even Fergie destroyed the Old Firm duopoly before being sought out by half the English First Division (including us).

Good managers learn their trade on a smaller stage, and by fighting their way beyond the "natural" place of a club, show that they have the managerial skills to perform at a higher level.

The proper football men never have done that, hence why they're on TV in the first place.

Dull football but the fact is that he asked for players, specific players, and he got none of them. As much as young Gareth was the saving grace for AVB a good number of times it was the lack of Modric that really buggered things up for him. Moutinho was the man who should have been in there as his replacement and we all know how that ended up. He also wanted Hulk to play that inside-right role to come inside on his left when it was obvious Bale was off (even though hes not in the same class) and didnt get him either.

I was happy he went as the football was boring but also mindful of the fact he didnt get the personnel he wanted to improve it.

Back
Top Bottom