So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
To be fair didn't the Russian football federation ban foreign coaches?

Yes, they did (except for the national team, which is bizarre) ... but pretty sure AVB had announced he was leaving before then. In his defense, the situation in Russia with regards to western Europe took a noticeable turn after he joined Zenit (embargoes, sanctions, etc) and many western Europeans and other foreigners in many fields have left the country. I imagine his departure was as much quality of life related as it was football.

AVB wimped out of Zenit rather than seeing through a long term project. How he can now whine about not getting the chance to do that at Spurs is beyondme.

He's a charlatan, always has been. He's got some talent as he proved at Porto, but not the backbone, drive or integrity needed to become what he sees himself as.

Let's not pretend bringing Poch in was part of a master plan from Levy when AVB was sacked. It wasn't. He should have been given longer, that was a fair view at that time. We even had more points at the time he was sacked than Poch did after the same number of games last season I believe?!

Ultimately, whilst quietly picking up points in discreet away games, he choked majorly in the big sky games - that was obviously his downfall in the end. The football wasn't super exciting but it hadn't been for decades at Tottenham - and that, contrary to popular belief does includes large parts of the Redknapp era. The fanbase was massively split and a lot of 'supporters' simply weren't doing that which wasn't helpful.

I liked his energy and personality on the touchline - he was a perfect manager in terms of his presentation in that role.

I got worried after his first season when he started prattling on about retiring in a few years to do the Paris-Dakar - how can you build for the future if you don't plan to be part of it.

I do also remember getting worried that football was completely fucked, as he convinced me that there was no such thing as attractive football, and you should just hog the ball and never kick it in the net. That's genuine - I thought football had gotten so scientific that it was an impasse on both sides. That's how bad his football was.

Boring and negative come to my mind when I think about his era. That's not saying that he is/was a poor coach or that he was fully to blame for our issues, but in the same way we praise Poch for his influence on our style of play, any influence by AVB was conservative, boring, and negative football.

I'd say that Jol, Harry, even Sherwood left Spurs in a better place than we were before they managed us. I wouldn't say that about AVB. Although his first season was good, and he takes credit for massively improving Bale's game, in the second season it seemed like he had lost the dressing room (I think Hugo said as much regarding the Liverpool game) in which case there isn't much hope going forward. Seemed like a nice bloke, nothing against him personally. But contrast the performances against elite clubs under him and Poch.

AVB was a young supposedly forward thinking manager, who had a philosophy which was more than "Jus fakin rhan abhat a bit". You could say he was the pre-cursor to Pochettino who is very similar, but has a far more meticulous footballing mind, along with the experience of being a professional footballer and extremely professional coach. I think AVB was step in the right direction when he was appointed. Remember the names being linked at the time? Rodgers, Martinez and Moyes. AVB was the stand out name, yes his project didn't work but at least Levy saw the light in which direction the club needed to go. Sherwood was never getting that job permanently and did an excellent job of talking himself out of it.

Painfully boring football. Bale kept things fun for us and earned us so many points on his own. Definitely subscribed to the Mourinho philosophy of bogging everything down in midfield and hope for a bit of magic from your superstar/s

I remember so many matches where we would actually take the lead and then just pass the ball around teh halfway line the rest of the match. I guess you can't argue with results but it was tough to watch a lot of times.
It also created a sterile atmosphere in the ground.

Should have been given more time - gone too soon. He'll go on to have a glittering career no doubt

Let's hope Dear Poch is offered more support when the going gets tough

Well he hasn't, was he?

He was a waste of time, and should never have been employed. I hope his children are born Camels, and his wife turns out to be a lesbian.

Well he hasn't, was he?

He was a waste of time, and should never have been employed. I hope his children are born Camels, and his wife turns out to be a lesbian.

That's a strange view coming from someone who "ate" him :avbshock:

what did he taste like? :avbnaa::ledleylick:

I'd say that Jol, Harry, even Sherwood left Spurs in a better place than we were before they managed us. I wouldn't say that about AVB. Although his first season was good, and he takes credit for massively improving Bale's game, in the second season it seemed like he had lost the dressing room (I think Hugo said as much regarding the Liverpool game) in which case there isn't much hope going forward. Seemed like a nice bloke, nothing against him personally. But contrast the performances against elite clubs under him and Poch.

Sherwood left us in a better place? He alienated half the squad, then played the youngsters someone else had been nurturing and took credit for it. Then did worse than the man he had campaigned to replace.

AVB was overmatched by England, but Sherwood was an unmitigated disaster, a look into the dark past of domestic football where #ProperFootballMan networks made top careers for even clueless ex players, club after club after club.

I enjoyed his first year but that's because it involved the likes of winning at Old Trafford, Upton Park, beating Liverpool, winning in the NLD and Bale scoring all those wonderful goals.

After that though, it all went down hill.

Sherwood left us in a better place? He alienated half the squad, then played the youngsters someone else had been nurturing and took credit for it. Then did worse than the man he had campaigned to replace.

AVB was overmatched by England, but Sherwood was an unmitigated disaster, a look into the dark past of domestic football where #ProperFootballMan networks made top careers for even clueless ex players, club after club after club.

In all fairness to Sherwood, he kick started Kane a bit, and most of the players he upset did turn out to be a bit of a liability. Except for Adebayor. His biggest fault was making Adebayor look like someone worth keeping.

Tim didn't do a bad job, but he is football's David Brent.

Hated the man at Chelsea failed with the best team in the league at the time miserably and his arrogance betrayed him time after time.

At Spurs he was credited with getting the best out of Bale which in my opinion is debatable after Bale he created a boring spineless characterless soulless shadow of a team , it was like watching a team of David Battys sideways sideways and sideways again slow predictable painfully dull forward play coupled with an error prone defence and a team with no fight ,towards the end of his tenure was probably my darkest hour as a Spurs fan we've had worse managers and worse teams than that one but he destroyed so much potential. I was delighted when he went even though that meant Sherwood.

West Ham 2 Spurs 3. As far as I'm concerned, he can always point to that.

And if he was responsible for such soporific football, surely he was also responsible for how improved Bale became under his tenure? Without this improvement, we'd not have got so much money from Madrid and not been able to sign Soldado, Chiriches, Capoue, etc.

Oh, hang on....

Sherwood actually had the better win ratio of the two of them, so I wouldn't say he did worse than AVB, the football improved as well. Playing the youngsters is not nothing, not everyone would have done it, AVB wasn't doing it, and if he hadn't done it then Harry Kane might be playing in the Championship right now.

I really don't have great love for Sherwood, though I do feel a bit sorry for him. He was given an impossible task, he was only ever a caretaker manager and to keep his job would have needed to finish in the top four, or to come close, which wasn't going to happen with any manager in the world. His job effectively was to steady the ship for half a season which he did. This paved the way for Poch to come in and start us going in the right direction. If he hadn't done that we may not have kept Lloris, for instance. We still finished 6th which was a decent showing considering how poor we were at times that season.

He was given an impossible task, he was only ever a caretaker manager and to keep his job would have needed to finish in the top four, or to come close, which wasn't going to happen with any manager in the world. His job effectively was to steady the ship for half a season which he did.

Not quite in agreement with this - he was a gobshite whose ego wrote cheques his talent couldn't cash, then he tried to blame the players and the owners for it.

I don't hate the bloke, and I did like him as our manager until he started trying to pander to the media. It was the point where was like "I'm just fixing a mess here, I'm not really spurs - LOL what a mess that Portuguese twat left for baldy" whilst simultaneously trying to pretend he was a pure yiddo.

Back
Top Bottom