So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
AVB belongs to the modern school of managers that aim to dominate possession, pack the middle, full backs attack. But his team lacks the intensity of teams from Guardiola, Poch and Klopp. AVB 's stats were glossier due to the coincidental form of Bale. Agree the man management of AVB is questionable too.

I honestly don't think we play that different a system to the one he was trying to implement. I just think poch has been way more successful in creating the kind of attitude and atmosphere around the club that is needed in order to get your players on board with what he wants. You could argue that after what happened with Avb, levy has given him way more room to decide who to boot out, who to bring in etc.

AVB belongs to the modern school of managers that aim to dominate possession, pack the middle, full backs attack. But his team lacks the intensity of teams from Guardiola, Poch and Klopp. AVB 's stats were glossier due to the coincidental form of Bale. Agree the man management of AVB is questionable too.
He talks that game, but has no idea how to actually make it happen. His teams didn't press, just played a high line and took massive numbers of shots from long range.

He talks that game, but has no idea how to actually make it happen. His teams didn't press, just played a high line and took massive numbers of shots from long range.
Agreed. He didn't know how to make the system work, and when it didn't work he just doubled down on the problems that kept it from working.

Agreed. He didn't know how to make the system work, and when it didn't work he just doubled down on the problems that kept it from working.
Yup, it takes relentless drilling and practice to make a pressing system work. Klopp talked about spending hours watching tapes of Arigo Sacchi training sessions to understand how he got the team to move like a collective. AVB never did that.

This table still annoys me. But it reinforces my beliefs in "The Tottenham Way". If you offered to give me a free season ticket for 10yrs but for those 10yrs the team was to be managed by AVB, or have to pay full price to watch a Poch team, I'd get my cheque book out year after year. I absolutely love this current team and love how we play. It's not guff, it's not marketing, it's a Tottenham tradition. Only this time we are witnessing an era underpinned with a committed, aggressive and passionate football that is a thrilling to watch. Fuck off AVB you boring bastard.

Ct1uGtZW8AAYNlw.jpg

This table still annoys me. But it reinforces my beliefs in "The Tottenham Way". If you offered to give me a free season ticket for 10yrs but for those 10yrs the team was to be managed by AVB, or have to pay full price to watch a Poch team, I'd get my cheque book out year after year. I absolutely love this current team and love how we play. It's not guff, it's not marketing, it's a Tottenham tradition. Only this time we are witnessing an era underpinned with a committed, aggressive and passionate football that is a thrilling to watch. Fuck off AVB you boring bastard.

Ct1uGtZW8AAYNlw.jpg
The table doesn't make sense at all

If I had the choice between Sherwood or AVB, I'd even go for Sherwood. Could not stand AVB. Joke of a coach. Don't know how or why he got into professional football without ever actually being a pro. Don't come with the argument that he won international titles, di Matteo just got sacked by Villa. Two players were carrying him over his whole career - Hulk and Bale.

AVB managed those both combined in 97 matches, where they both scored a total of 62 goals and set up 41. Ridiculous stat.

And the season where he got sacked, after Bale left, could have ended so much worse. So many penalty gifts for Soldado and a last minute winner against Cardiff.

I remember some of the games being very boring

Painfully boring football. Bale kept things fun for us and earned us so many points on his own. Definitely subscribed to the Mourinho philosophy of bogging everything down in midfield and hope for a bit of magic from your superstar/s

I remember so many matches where we would actually take the lead and then just pass the ball around teh halfway line the rest of the match. I guess you can't argue with results but it was tough to watch a lot of times.

Didn't mind the guy as a person but the football sent me to sleep, at EL evening games looking up at the stars and saw that so was everyone else.

Being a Spurs fan got me used to shit teams (90's) but not shit football, if we are shit I want us to be at least entertaining.

I would want a title or champions league medal to be put through that again minimum. That whole period was the first time I felt disconnect with the club, how we finished 5th with AVB and Sherwood that season is still mankinds biggests mystery, we must have had about 6-7 underserved victories.

Thinking about it now maybe that period was the making of us, Levy got in a decent manager and ever since we have been on and off the pitch so professional. It's like he looked at our and his faults and genuinely tried to correct them, fair play to Levy, I have been a critic in the past.

I have no personal dislike of Redknapp, AVB or Sherwood but my god isn't Pochettino a step up.

he was simply amazing at Porto. Best football we ever had,, better than when we won the champions league with Mourinho. And was a die-hard Porto fan since he can remember. It was a great love story until he signed for the Chavs. I hated me a few months, and then was so happy when Tottenham signed him. Too good to be true it was...

Sore wounds bro... sore wounds.

Back
Top Bottom