So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
the Moutinho thing will always irk me. Not necessarily because he would have brought Spurs Bale-esque success on his own, but because it would have signified a turning point in the management style that has very overtly fucked the club in recent seasons. At least it seems Spurs are on the right path these days. Here's to a hopeful return to the success of Redknapp and initial AVB 'era.'

I really wanted AVB to succeed. I wanted him at Spurs before he joined the chavs. I watched a lot of his Porto treble season and he looked like exactly the person to take us by storm.

I don't hold any grudges. He's basically Soldado nowadays. Good looking, decent background, empty promises.

Hope he continues to tear it up in Russia. Good on him.

Said he had learnt from his mistakes at Chelsea then plummeted straight back into much of the same both on and off the pitch. I think he was a disaster.

Talked a good game about being an attack minded coach but drudged out some of the most boring insipid football I've ever seen us play. Win lose or draw, I didn't like watching Spurs...

"Killing it in Russia" meaning being top of the Russian domestic table by more than a two match margin (which, if you look up on 'www.google.com/, you'll see that Zenit is by the way). Boy I sure look dumb for saying something true. Glad you drudged this two day old comment up to unsuccessfully troll.

Back to the dungeons with you, cunt.

So, he's "killing it" because he's 1st in a two team league, where his rivals spend less than 10% of what he does and then he gets utterly destroyed when he comes up against half-decent teams in Europe?

2007 Zenit finish 1st.
2008 Zenit win the Europa League.
2010 Zenit finish 1st and win the cup.
2011 Zenit finish 1st.
2012 Zenit finish 2nd.
2013 Zenit finish 2nd.

Their previous managers before AVB were the absolute footballing giants that are Advocaat and Spalletti. Heard of them? I haven't, but they were "killing it" too before they both got sacked.

A monkey could be in charge and "killing it" in that league. It's not a demonstration of skill or managerial ability. The only time he played in a competitive league he was sacked...twice.

- We beat Man Utd 2-1
So did Tim
- We never gave up at the end of games.
How about during them?
- DEMPSEY
Sorry.....? What..?
- We had one of the best players in world football playing for us.
Thank fuck or we would have finished 11th that year
- We beat Man City 3-1
- We beat Woolwich 2-1
- We beat Liverpool 2-1
Took 3pts at home from Fulham, Stoke, Norwich, Wigan and WBA
- Record points
5th after finishing 4th

To answer the question.

- We beat Man Utd 2-1
- We never gave up at the end of games.
- DEMPSEY
- We had one of the best players in world football playing for us.
- We beat Man City 3-1
- We beat Woolwich 2-1
- We beat Liverpool 2-1
- Record points

When was the last time before that did any of that happen in one season?- I really enjoyed his first season with us, its a shame he didnt build on what he had and we decided to buy a whole new team.
Too many times that year we were "Baled" out.

I don't think AVB is the clown he's made out to be, but equally I don't think he was an upgrade on Harry. After the fundamental losses of Modric and VDV we really were relying a lot on Bale hitting his best form during our record points season. I dare say that the loss of Bale exposed a lot of AVB's inability to adapt. It's all very well blaming the fact that he didn't get what he wanted in terms of players, but, all told, I think it's fair to say that both Poch and, God forbid I say it, Sherweasel, showed a greater ability to adapt to different tactics and squads than AVB did. AVB's second season was his real test and ultimately he failed it. His undoing was his stubborn refusal to trying something new. It was almost as if he felt his style of football was the only way to win. I think if he'd been given the right players then he'd have been able to put his style into practice and he'd probably still be here now. But an experienced manager needs to know that you can't just walk into a club and expect all your ideal signings handed to you. If Levy broke promises then that is wrong, but a manager needs to be able to account for the possibility of not getting the signings he wants, for whatever reason, including players being bought by rivals, when he agrees to take a job. Seemingly AVB thought that if he didn't get exactly the style of squad he was after than that was a deal broken. Well, in my opinion, that betrays his inexperience and naivety and, consequently, he was probably the wrong man for us.

I honestly don't think we play that different a system to the one he was trying to implement. I just think poch has been way more successful in creating the kind of attitude and atmosphere around the club that is needed in order to get your players on board with what he wants. You could argue that after what happened with Avb, levy has given him way more room to decide who to boot out, who to bring in etc.

The era I completely fell out of love with Tottenham, boring turgid football and a group of players who had no love for the club. We've had worse teams but I've never had that feeling of detachment from what's happening on the pitch

Don't think AVB can be entirely to blame though as he inherited a bloated squad and as such didn't get the personnel he wanted/needed.

Gone too soon, was never going to end well when he didn't get any players he wanted despite claims he signed off on those we got.
Will have the same problem with Pochettino eventually.

Good win record boring football. Should have been given at least till the end of last season. From before he joined us though, his two problems were obviously bad man management and having no plan b, just sticking rigidly to his plan. They are the reasons he went.

Can't understand how anyone could say he should've been given more time. In his first season he turned a previously entertaining Spurs - that was a favourite amongst most objective football fans - into the most boring team in the league, while at the same time freezing out a couple of great players and starting to baklys affect the careers of others. In his second season every player become worse every weak, and looked more demoralized and disgruntled every game.

In my opinion Soldado, Paulinho, Lennon, Dembele, Sandro and Assou-Ekotto were all ruined and haven't come close to finding their previously fantastic selves again yet. Adebayor, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Rose, Naughton, Capoue, Eriksen and Lamela also were having a terrible time under him. Kane, Mason and Bentaleb never got a chance to play. Sigurdsson had to change clubs to shine again. Holtby could've maybe come good if he was brought in under a different manager.

I was positive and enthusiastic when AVB was brought in. But he was destructive to pretty much every single player. Excellent sacking. Should've gone sooner, but his results made that difficult.

He's better than Poch so far, because AFAIK, he has a better win % than him, and both have won nowt.

IF we win tonight, I'll start to rethink that position, if we lose then I very much doubt I'll ever rate him higher than AVB, because I think that will be the start of a slippery slope for Poch, leading him to a trophyless exit with a worse win % than AVB.

Errrm.....Poch has been manager, in competative games, for 16 weeks

:llorishuh:

So, he's "killing it" because he's 1st in a two team league, where his rivals spend less than 10% of what he does and then he gets utterly destroyed when he comes up against half-decent teams in Europe?

2007 Zenit finish 1st.
2008 Zenit win the Europa League.
2010 Zenit finish 1st and win the cup.
2011 Zenit finish 1st.
2012 Zenit finish 2nd.
2013 Zenit finish 2nd.

Their previous managers before AVB were the absolute footballing giants that are Advocaat and Spalletti. Heard of them? I haven't, but they were "killing it" too before they both got sacked.

A monkey could be in charge and "killing it" in that league. It's not a demonstration of skill or managerial ability. The only time he played in a competitive league he was sacked...twice.
You've never heard of dick Advocaat and luciano spaletti ? says more about you than anything tbh.

Last edited:
Didn't mind the guy as a person but the football sent me to sleep, at EL evening games looking up at the stars and saw that so was everyone else.

Being a Spurs fan got me used to shit teams (90's) but not shit football, if we are shit I want us to be at least entertaining.

I would want a title or champions league medal to be put through that again minimum. That whole period was the first time I felt disconnect with the club, how we finished 5th with AVB and Sherwood that season is still mankinds biggests mystery, we must have had about 6-7 underserved victories.

Thinking about it now maybe that period was the making of us, Levy got in a decent manager and ever since we have been on and off the pitch so professional. It's like he looked at our and his faults and genuinely tried to correct them, fair play to Levy, I have been a critic in the past.

I have no personal dislike of Redknapp, AVB or Sherwood but my god isn't Pochettino a step up.

I liked his energy and personality on the touchline - he was a perfect manager in terms of his presentation in that role.

I got worried after his first season when he started prattling on about retiring in a few years to do the Paris-Dakar - how can you build for the future if you don't plan to be part of it.

I do also remember getting worried that football was completely fucked, as he convinced me that there was no such thing as attractive football, and you should just hog the ball and never kick it in the net. That's genuine - I thought football had gotten so scientific that it was an impasse on both sides. That's how bad his football was.

Back
Top Bottom