So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
Said he had learnt from his mistakes at Chelsea then plummeted straight back into much of the same both on and off the pitch. I think he was a disaster.

Talked a good game about being an attack minded coach but drudged out some of the most boring insipid football I've ever seen us play. Win lose or draw, I didn't like watching Spurs...

Oh, yes. That third place finish in the Champions League is really "killing it" :adegrin:

"Killing it in Russia" meaning being top of the Russian domestic table by more than a two match margin (which, if you look up on 'www.google.com/, you'll see that Zenit is by the way). Boy I sure look dumb for saying something true. Glad you drudged this two day old comment up to unsuccessfully troll.

Back to the dungeons with you, cunt.

"Killing it in Russia" meaning being top of the Russian domestic table by more than a two match margin (which, if you look up on 'www.google.com/, you'll see that Zenit is by the way). Boy I sure look dumb for saying something true. Glad you drudged this two day old comment up to unsuccessfully troll.

Back to the dungeons with you, cunt.

So, he's "killing it" because he's 1st in a two team league, where his rivals spend less than 10% of what he does and then he gets utterly destroyed when he comes up against half-decent teams in Europe?

2007 Zenit finish 1st.
2008 Zenit win the Europa League.
2010 Zenit finish 1st and win the cup.
2011 Zenit finish 1st.
2012 Zenit finish 2nd.
2013 Zenit finish 2nd.

Their previous managers before AVB were the absolute footballing giants that are Advocaat and Spalletti. Heard of them? I haven't, but they were "killing it" too before they both got sacked.

A monkey could be in charge and "killing it" in that league. It's not a demonstration of skill or managerial ability. The only time he played in a competitive league he was sacked...twice.

So, he's "killing it" because he's 1st in a two team league, where his rivals spend less than 10% of what he does and then he gets utterly destroyed when he comes up against half-decent teams in Europe?

2007 Zenit finish 1st.
2011 Zenit finish 1st.
2012 Zenit finish 2nd.
2013 Zenit finish 2nd.

Their previous managers before AVB were the absolute footballing giants that are Advocaat and Spalletti. Heard of them? I haven't, but they were "killing it" too before they both got sacked.

A monkey could be in charge and "killing it" in that league. It's not a demonstration of skill or managerial ability. The only time he played in a competitive league he was sacked...twice.
Sacked once, walked once. All the same in the end.

2007 Zenit finish 1st.
2011 Zenit finish 1st.
2012 Zenit finish 2nd.
2013 Zenit finish 2nd.

You've never heard of dick Advocaat and luciano spaletti ? says more about you than anything tbh.

Last edited:

2007 Zenit finish 1st.
2011 Zenit finish 1st.
2012 Zenit finish 2nd.
2013 Zenit finish 2nd.

Does he or does he not have Zenit top of the table in the Russian league? Okay. End of discussion. Like I said, he's "killing it" (or doing well, if you will) in his respective league now. Honestly I don't even know what you're trying to prove here other than the fact that you're very capable of looking stunningly ignorant.

To answer the question.

- We beat Man Utd 2-1
- We never gave up at the end of games.
- DEMPSEY
- We had one of the best players in world football playing for us.
- We beat Man City 3-1
- We beat Woolwich 2-1
- We beat Liverpool 2-1
- Record points

When was the last time before that did any of that happen in one season?- I really enjoyed his first season with us, its a shame he didnt build on what he had and we decided to buy a whole new team.

- We beat Man Utd 2-1
So did Tim
How about during them?
- DEMPSEY
Sorry.....? What..?
Thank fuck or we would have finished 11th that year
- We beat Man City 3-1
- We beat Woolwich 2-1
- We beat Liverpool 2-1
Took 3pts at home from Fulham, Stoke, Norwich, Wigan and WBA
- Record points
5th after finishing 4th

To answer the question.

- We beat Man Utd 2-1
- DEMPSEY
- We beat Man City 3-1
- We beat Woolwich 2-1
- We beat Liverpool 2-1
- Record points

When was the last time before that did any of that happen in one season?- I really enjoyed his first season with us, its a shame he didnt build on what he had and we decided to buy a whole new team.
Too many times that year we were "Baled" out.

I don't think AVB is the clown he's made out to be, but equally I don't think he was an upgrade on Harry. After the fundamental losses of Modric and VDV we really were relying a lot on Bale hitting his best form during our record points season. I dare say that the loss of Bale exposed a lot of AVB's inability to adapt. It's all very well blaming the fact that he didn't get what he wanted in terms of players, but, all told, I think it's fair to say that both Poch and, God forbid I say it, Sherweasel, showed a greater ability to adapt to different tactics and squads than AVB did. AVB's second season was his real test and ultimately he failed it. His undoing was his stubborn refusal to trying something new. It was almost as if he felt his style of football was the only way to win. I think if he'd been given the right players then he'd have been able to put his style into practice and he'd probably still be here now. But an experienced manager needs to know that you can't just walk into a club and expect all your ideal signings handed to you. If Levy broke promises then that is wrong, but a manager needs to be able to account for the possibility of not getting the signings he wants, for whatever reason, including players being bought by rivals, when he agrees to take a job. Seemingly AVB thought that if he didn't get exactly the style of squad he was after than that was a deal broken. Well, in my opinion, that betrays his inexperience and naivety and, consequently, he was probably the wrong man for us.

So did Tim

How did Tim do against City, Liverpool and Woolwich?

How about during them?

We lost 8 games, 1 less than Chelsea and Woolwich.

Sorry.....? What..?

He brought in Dempsey, I liked Dempsey. He epitomized our never say die attitude.

Thank fuck or we would have finished 11th that year

Yeah, that's how football works.

Took 3pts at home from Fulham, Stoke, Norwich, Wigan and WBA

Considering I'm talking about his first season, we only lost to Wigan and Fulham at home other than the teams better than us. No surprise as it happens every year, didn't masterful Harry get embarrassed by Norwich the year before?

5th after finishing 4th

4 teams better than us finished higher. Shock.

He brought in Dempsey, I liked Dempsey. He epitomized our never say die attitude.

Considering I'm talking about his first season, we only lost to Wigan and Fulham at home other than the teams better than us. No surprise as it happens every year, didn't masterful Harry get embarrassed by Norwich the year before?

*Grabs the popcorn and prepares to congratulate Sammy on yet another victory*

Didnt lose 6-0 and 5-0
We did worse than the yea before
We lost VDV for Dempsey
For one man teams
Harry achieved his target
There were only 3 teams better than us the season before

Didnt lose 6-0 and 5-0

But never beat them 2-1 and 3-1.

We did worse than the yea before

Yet we got the same outcome. Europa League football.

We lost VDV for Dempsey

Which garnered us profit and 1 less goal.

For one man teams

Football. The simple game.

Harry achieved his target

His target was Champions League football. He failed two years running.

There were only 3 teams better than us the season before

And one of the teams we were "better" than ended up winning the Champions League.

But never beat them 2-1 and 3-1
Tim started managing in December 2013

Yet we got the same outcome. Europa League football.
Not our fault Barca and Munich bottled it and let the 6th place team jog past them to CL glory

Which garnered us profit and 1 less goal.
Laughable outlook. Selling Bale garnered us profit and only one less league position then.

Football. The simple game.
For Harry and Tim it was, yes. But not for AVB...thats why the players needed to read Konfucious and pythagorus to understand his theory of route to the oppositions goal

His target was Champions League football. He failed two years running.
His target was created by his standard. He was only brought in to keep us from being relegated.
One of the seasons he "failed", we struggled in the PL due to the fact we were beating the likes of AC Milan in the San Siro and battling our way to the quarters in that very same competition.
We still finished 5th. Same as AVB did while getting us knocked out of the EL by Basle.

The other season we got 4th and Chelsea won the CL despite finishing 6th. What....you expected 3rd from a manager you think is worse than the one you are lauding for coming 5th? Makes sense...

And one of the teams we were "better" than ended up winning the Champions League.
Lucky cup run (not for us)

Tim started managing in December 2013

And didn't get wins over Man City, Liverpool or Woolwich.

Not our fault Barca and Munich bottled it and let the 6th place team jog past them to CL glory

But it was Harrys fault that we bottled it.

Laughable outlook. Selling Bale garnered us profit and only one less league position then.

Laughable comparison. van der Vaart was easier to replace than Bale.

For Harry and Tim it was, yes. But not for AVB...thats why the players needed to read Konfucious and pythagorus to understand his theory of route to the oppositions goal

I think you're confusing "simple minds" with simple football. Football isn't simple, it's a reason Tim isn't in a job despite being interested and why Redknapp went to QPR.

His target was created by his standard. He was only brought in to keep us from being relegated.
One of the seasons he "failed", we struggled in the PL due to the fact we were beating the likes of AC Milan in the San Siro and battling our way to the quarters in that very same competition.
We still finished 5th. Same as AVB did while getting us knocked out of the EL by Basle.

The other season we got 4th and Chelsea won the CL despite finishing 6th. What....you expected 3rd from a manager you think is worse than the one you are lauding for coming 5th? Makes sense...

So he failed his target because he was in the Champions League? Come on, even I don't think you are that stupid. How about the year we wasn't in the CL, when we got knocked out of the EL failing to get passed Rubin Kazan or PAOK?

I expected 3rd from a manager who had us playing very good football, with no cup competition to distract us, as we'd been knocked out of them all. Not for us to throw away a 12 point lead within 4 league games. When did I say Redknapp was worse than AVB was by the way?

Lucky cup run (not for us)
They took their chances, luck is for losers.

And didn't get wins over Man City, Liverpool or Woolwich.

But it was Harrys fault that we bottled it.

Laughable comparison. van der Vaart was easier to replace than Bale.

I think you're confusing "simple minds" with simple football. Football isn't simple, it's a reason Tim isn't in a job despite being interested and why Redknapp went to QPR.

So he failed his target because he was in the Champions League? Come on, even I don't think you are that stupid. How about the year we wasn't in the CL, when we got knocked out of the EL failing to get passed Rubin Kazan or PAOK?

I expected 3rd from a manager who had us playing very good football, with no cup competition to distract us, as we'd been knocked out of them all. Not for us to throw away a 12 point lead within 4 league games. When did I say Redknapp was worse than AVB was by the way?

They took their chances, luck is for losers.

Harry had his faults.

AVBs faults were worse.

Long and short of it.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is an 'expert in sacking managers', says former Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-chairman-daniel-levy-is-an-expert-in-sacking-managers-says-former-spurs-boss-andre-a3360841.html

mauricio-pochettino.jpg

Villas-Boas replaced Harry Redknapp at White Hart Lane in the summer of 2012, signing a three-year contract with the north London club.

However, he was sacked just 17 months later with a chastening 5-0 defeat to Liverpool proving to be his final game in charge after Levy lost patience with the Portuguese coach's plans.

Villas-Boas's reputation was significantly damaged after he failed to succeed in the Premier League with both Spurs and Chelsea but believes English football is no longer suited to managerial longevity.

“Daniel Levy is an expert in sacking managers. There’s no time for long-term projects in the Premier League," the 38-year-old told ASPIRE4SPORT.

"At Tottenham I learnt to be different. At Chelsea the group was more important, I stuck to my methods too much.”

Villas-Boas is currently unattached, having decided to part ways with Zenit St Petersburg in the summer after two years in charge of the Russian club.

Spurs, meanwhile, are thriving under Mauricio Pochettino and are just one point off the top of the Premier League table after beating pacesetters Manchester City on Sunday

Pochettino extended his Spurs contract earlier this year and Levy said of the Argentine: “We have seen Mauricio bring a tremendous spirit and ethos to our club and embrace the attacking style of play with which we have always been associated.

"I know he is as ambitious for our club as we all are.”

Back
Top Bottom