So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
Dull football under AVB, but I'd rather have back those 1-0 wins rather than draws.
Think he was sacked at a stupid time, should have been given until the end of the season, or sacked earlier in the year.

Dull football but the fact is that he asked for players, specific players, and he got none of them. As much as young Gareth was the saving grace for AVB a good number of times it was the lack of Modric that really buggered things up for him. Moutinho was the man who should have been in there as his replacement and we all know how that ended up. He also wanted Hulk to play that inside-right role to come inside on his left when it was obvious Bale was off (even though hes not in the same class) and didnt get him either.

I was happy he went as the football was boring but also mindful of the fact he didnt get the personnel he wanted to improve it.

Most boring manager I can remember, I nearly fell asleep during spurs games under avb, if we are gonna be shit let's at least be fun, avb was not for me.

Felt we regressed a bit under him in terms of style, and to be honest his era doesn't have much else to be happy about aside from his win percentage, no cups & no CL.

I feel we were on the verge of breaking into the next level and instead took our foot off the gas, so we're playing catch up now, although I don't blame him for it all I know he didn't get some of the players he wanted etc. If you took Bale away, it would have been much much worse.

If we have to have monthly threads reassessing AVB's tenure I'm going to start making daily posts about if we ever truly appreciated what we had in Peter McWilliam, whether Percy Smith's tactics were attacking enough for Tottenham, what would have happened if Scholar backed Shreeves, and if we understood the historical significance of Gerry Francis's mullet.

He's gone. Time to move on.

Not enough time. While the football was dull, if we had stuck with him for longer it would inevitably have become more exciting as the players would have slowly become fully adapted to his system and performed better as a result. AVB was always a man with a long-term vision. Whether you're running a football team, running a company or just trying to get a bird, you've got to plan for the long-term, and you've got to accept that it might bring some teething problems in the short-term.

Not enough time. While the football was dull, if we had stuck with him for longer it would inevitably have become more exciting as the players would have slowly become fully adapted to his system and performed better as a result.

Im not sure...I think it was painfully obvious that the players didnt really understand what he wanted from them, and for all Sherwoods faults, the football was more exciting under him, instantly.

I remember Eriksen talking about "when the players know what he wants, it will be good"....that was after 20 odd games and 6 months with pre season. Sums it up to me what AVB brought to the dressing room.

Mass confusion on top of disharmony.

Onward with the Poch regime, but this pic always makes me feel a bit sad :memeokay:

Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Sunderland+ANtuRDyL1Lbl.jpg

I selected the "more time" option, but I don't think that was the problem. His first season was superb, without question. I really believed he was the right man for Spurs. Where it all went wrong was the summer of 2013. He wanted Bale to stay and his players bought in. Bale was sold, and the players he wanted were not the ones bought in. I think after that summer he knew what the deal was with Spurs, where you have to deliver with the players that you have, and you have little control over the players that come in and
the players that leave. From that point he was done ... Totally dead in the water. The results dried up, but the truth is the path to AVB's fall goes straight back to the summer and decisions made at board level. Sad really, as AVB and Bale and some well chosen additions could have really taken this club far IMO. Didn't happen and we've been on the slide ever since.

He was the wrong choice from the start regardless of what happened that was his fault during his tenure. He was slaughtered at Chelsea for what went on there and, especially due to replacing Harry, he was always going to be a media target the second something went remotely wrong at Spurs. Levy should've known this and, if giving him the job, should've backed him fully and stood by his decision. He didn't get the players he wanted and Levy happily threw him under the bus as soon as the opportunity came up as a scapegoat for his and Baldini's transfer cock-ups (book balancing!).
I don't think he was ever right anyway for plenty of footballing reasons but, Levy picked him knowing that but then hamstrung him to a certain extent and fucked him off, a colossal waste of everybody's time and sent us in a spiral of decline from where we were.

Can't understand how anyone could say he should've been given more time. In his first season he turned a previously entertaining Spurs - that was a favourite amongst most objective football fans - into the most boring team in the league, while at the same time freezing out a couple of great players and starting to baklys affect the careers of others. In his second season every player become worse every weak, and looked more demoralized and disgruntled every game.

In my opinion Soldado, Paulinho, Lennon, Dembele, Sandro and Assou-Ekotto were all ruined and haven't come close to finding their previously fantastic selves again yet. Adebayor, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Rose, Naughton, Capoue, Eriksen and Lamela also were having a terrible time under him. Kane, Mason and Bentaleb never got a chance to play. Sigurdsson had to change clubs to shine again. Holtby could've maybe come good if he was brought in under a different manager.

I was positive and enthusiastic when AVB was brought in. But he was destructive to pretty much every single player. Excellent sacking. Should've gone sooner, but his results made that difficult.

Back
Top Bottom