So, how would you rate Andre Villas Boas' era?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate AVB's time at Spurs?

• He should have been given more time

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • He was okay, but not good enough for Tottenham

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • He was a poor choice from the beggining

Votes: 54 26.1%

• Total voters
I wonder what the results would have been if the Poll had an option:

Would it have been right to fire him when we did, if we got in Pochettino, LvG, or De Boer at the time?

........hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The thing about doing well at Zenit and Porto is that a manager should do well at those clubs. Zenit has spent so much more money putting their team together and AVBs Porto side that he inherited has some of the best players in the world in Moutinho, Hulk, and Falcao. Put those players up against a lower level Russian or Portuguese side and the gulf in talent is immense.

We need a manager that is able to develop players and take a team to a new level. I don't think AVB is that guy but I'm really excited for Poch because he has a great record of doing just that. He's shown he can take Soton to a new level and now he can hopefully do the same for us. The fact that his tactics are 1000 times more attractive than AVBs make me happy that the AVB is gone.

It amazes me when people say "look at Porto and Zenit" as some kind of proof he is decent, while totally ignoring his time in England.

Just look at Chelsea and Spurs to see what happens when he tries to manage above Championship level.

Just a disappointment really, I was a fan until I couldnt defend him anymore, had high hopes for him but he has to shoulder a lot of the blame. I dont think the bale/general transfer thing was managed well by the club but a top manager would have got through that and not be beaten in some of the games we did in the manner we did.

Bale may have masked a whole manner of inadequecies who knows you cant fully speculate, it was just a shame, time will tell as he is so young whether he will develop into a top manager, managers like players find their place where they can operate, and peak just like players too.

Like any other manager I wanted AVB to suceed. At the time I thought it was the right appointment and up until the maulings at Citeh and home to Liverpool, I would have been happy for him to be given more time.

I believed we had the right manager at last, although the football was great under Harry, it felt we were not building for the long term and it was purely about there here and now, with a young manager replacing Harry and one who had been rejected by the Chavs, I thought he would have that extra fire to prove everyone wrong.
For me, the problem was AVB seemed to have a 'not lose' first mentality and the quality of football really went downhill, I also flet for him at the start of last season having so many players foisted on him, many he apparenntly did not ask for.

At the moment I dont think MP is much better than AVB, in terms of footballing style, but he seems to have a better idea on his first 11 and the players seem happier on the pitch......

I guess the silence clause has expired:

http://www.portugoal.net/portuguese...ll-of-media-sensationalism-and-false-promises

"Tottenham set a points and victories record in my first season, and missed out on the Champions League by one point and had a great run in the Europa League. In the second season, at the time I left we had more points than in the previous season. I ended up leaving by mutual agreement - it wasn't a sacking - because I gave full support to the football director Franco Baldini who meanwhile had other ambitions, meaning that I ended up with players that did not fit the profile I wanted.

"The chairman proposed a challenge to increase Tottenham's competitive level, but immediately Modric left and we didn't get any of the targets I had identified, such as João Moutinho, Willian, Óscar or Leandro Damião. These were promises that were not kept. I had a group of players I had not chosen. In two years I lost Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, and all the promises made were unfulfilled. In any event I don't look at my time at Tottenham as a negative experience. It was an experience I needed to have."

I guess the silence clause has expired:

http://www.portugoal.net/portuguese...ll-of-media-sensationalism-and-false-promises

"Tottenham set a points and victories record in my first season, and missed out on the Champions League by one point and had a great run in the Europa League. In the second season, at the time I left we had more points than in the previous season. I ended up leaving by mutual agreement - it wasn't a sacking - because I gave full support to the football director Franco Baldini who meanwhile had other ambitions, meaning that I ended up with players that did not fit the profile I wanted.

"The chairman proposed a challenge to increase Tottenham's competitive level, but immediately Modric left and we didn't get any of the targets I had identified, such as João Moutinho, Willian, Óscar or Leandro Damião. These were promises that were not kept. I had a group of players I had not chosen. In two years I lost Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, and all the promises made were unfulfilled. In any event I don't look at my time at Tottenham as a negative experience. It was an experience I needed to have."

Well I guess that confirms what we knew all along. What was the point of bringing in a highly rated young manager on a long term plan only to not give him the tools he asked for.
Only thing I'll say in Levy's defence here is that perhaps AVB should have been more realistic about the players he needed to succeed and had a back up plan in case we couldn't get all of them. These were all guys who were highly coveted by much wealthier clubs than us. And we had Willian until Chelsea came and nicked him from us.
Then again, if the club did promise then they either need to deliver on these promises or stop making ridiculous promises in the first place.

Well I guess that confirms what we knew all along. What was the point of bringing in a highly rated young manager on a long term plan only to not give him the tools he asked for.
Only thing I'll say in Levy's defence here is that perhaps AVB should have been more realistic about the players he needed to succeed and had a back up plan in case we couldn't get all of them. These were all guys who were highly coveted by much wealthier clubs than us. And we had Willian until Chelsea came and nicked him from us.
Then again, if the club did promise then they either need to deliver on these promises or stop making ridiculous promises in the first place.
Shades of Ramos. I wanted THESE guys, and had no idea what to do if I didn't get exactly them.

No one gets everyone they want, that's why there are always lists and always back-up choices. Lack of flexibility is fatal.

Shades of Ramos. I wanted THESE guys, and had no idea what to do if I didn't get exactly them.

No one gets everyone they want, that's why there are always lists and always back-up choices. Lack of flexibility is fatal.
Could have at least got ONE of them though. I mean we spent 30 million on lamela who Baldini rated but wouldn't spend 31 on moutinho, who was already proven to be the crux of AVB's former successful Porto side. That makes zero sense to me.

Will always back AVB on Maoutinho, but to whine about VDV is a bit much when it was AVB who ousted him...in VDVs very own words.

Also confirms that he walked and left us in the shit, mid season.

Levy needs to support the managers targets, but AVB knew full well he was working with a DoF. Cant complain about signings really.

Also, apologies all round to Levy....he didnt fire this one, LOL.

the Moutinho thing will always irk me. Not necessarily because he would have brought Spurs Bale-esque success on his own, but because it would have signified a turning point in the management style that has very overtly fucked the club in recent seasons. At least it seems Spurs are on the right path these days. Here's to a hopeful return to the success of Redknapp and initial AVB 'era.'

Could have at least got ONE of them though. I mean we spent 30 million on lamela who Baldini rated but wouldn't spend 31 on moutinho, who was already proven to be the crux of AVB's former successful Porto side. That makes zero sense to me.
I think that was partly down to the very convoluted third-party ownership of Moutinho though, wasn't it?

And the Moutinho thing was the summer before Lamela, so would pre-date Baldini as well.

Redknapp wanted Cahill and Tevez and got Nelsen and Saha yet still got 4th.

I think that was partly down to the very convoluted third-party ownership of Moutinho though, wasn't it?

And the Moutinho thing was the summer before Lamela, so would pre-date Baldini as well.

And AVB took over at Porto a month before Moutinho signed so would have been aware of third party issues.

I remember the feeling I had when we missed out on Moutinho but bought Dempsey, not a slight on Dempsey, just Moutinho was the ideal player to fill the gap left by Modric.

Nevertheless, AVB resided over some of the dullest football I have seen, and we got dry humped by a load of teams who we should have been turning over (West Ham) or competing against (City and Liverpool at home).

It is still a shame as we are crying out for a manager we can take to our heart and succeed with.

Redknapp wanted Cahill and Tevez and got Nelsen and Saha yet still got 4th.

And AVB took over at Porto a month before Moutinho signed so would have been aware of third party issues.
Being aware of them, and negotiating with them to be able to sign the player are two very different things though. You have Porto and the third-party arguing over cuts, along with the overall price of the deal and how the deal is paid for being discussed. I can imagine it takes a fair bit of work unless you're willing to significantly over-pay the initial value to short-cut discussions of who gets how much.

He's listed four players there, i find it hard to believe we couldn't even get ONE. Like, if Levy goes to AVB and says "This year we just don't have the money to get all four. Oscar appears to be going to Chelsea and its unlikely we'll topple them in a bidding war. How about we go all out and do whatever we can to get Moutinho and Willian, and you stick with Adebayor and Defoe up front. Can you agree to that?" i doubt any of the parties involved would be disappointed.

We brought in a shitload of money that window, 33 mill for modric, as well as the money for Krancar Bassong, Jenas etc etc. as well as spending 15 mill on dembele and 8 on sigurddson. We could have afforded to AT LEAST get Moutinho. And then our starting 11 looks something like;

[formation=442, Lloris, Walker, Gallas/Dawson, Vertonghen, Rose, Lennon, Moutinho, Sandro, Bale, Willian, Adebayor][/formation]

And to me, thats similar in strength to the year before. If we had Willian playing behind a striker, perhaps defoe or Ade, then i think things would be very different... and the initial expenditure isn't much different.
And i know people will be thinking, yeah but, what about wages.. but we've sold more than we've brought in, and signed less players... the wages will be around the same. We don't have a top heavy squad, at this point we still have Hudd and Livermore, who can cover for moutinho and sandro for the europa and cup games.we still have Parker, Caulker and Kaboul, Townsend. If we have Sigurdsson as well, i think the squad is in a much better shape than it ends up being.

This has all left me feeling miserable about how different things could have been :paulinhobored:

Back
Top Bottom